access

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there is a reservoir which I want to photograph at sunrise, but access to it is very limited. There is a private residential street which leads out into the reservoir that I have seen on google earth, am I allowed to walk down that private road or would that be trespassing? What is the right of way law regarding pedestrians on private residential streets?

Trespass is a civil matter not a criminal one, so you could walk it but you could be asked to leave, which if asked you should leave. Maybe post a google link so we could see, there maybe another way you have overlooked??

Privately owned doesn't always mean controlled access, it depends on your local bylaws, a quick trip to your local council office will provide the answers ;)

Check on multimap (bing maps now I think) on the ordnance survey maps for dashed green rights of way that might provide alternative access. Where's the reservoir?

Trespass is a civil matter not a criminal one, so you could walk it but you could be asked to leave, which if asked you should leave. Maybe post a google link so we could see, there maybe another way you have overlooked??

For my own information, does this mean I could go somewhere I perhaps shouldn't, e.g. abandoned buildings/climbing up to the top floor of a large local building, and I wouldn't be risking a criminal record? Me and a friend want to ascend a building to get some shots but as I plan on emigrating I don't want to risk getting a record and not being able to.

The big danger with being in or on a building is getting mistaken for thieves, you may have trouble convincing the police that your just there to take pics, under no circumstances take anything that could be considered tools with you.

For my own information, does this mean I could go somewhere I perhaps shouldn't, e.g. abandoned buildings/climbing up to the top floor of a large local building, and I wouldn't be risking a criminal record? Me and a friend want to ascend a building to get some shots but as I plan on emigrating I don't want to risk getting a record and not being able to.

If you commit damage you may well be convicted of that.

Trespass is a civil matter in a lot of cases, however it does become criminal in certain cases when dealing with national infrastructure (telephone exchanges, nuclear plants, military bases, ports (including air and sea) etc

It looks to me like you'd be better off accessing through the woodland between the reservoir and ide hill road - or down that unamed road thats to the west then walking round the shore

from google maps/ satelite it looks as though you dont actually get access from the small private lakeside close without going through private gardens

my general advice would be not to sneak arround but to walk like you have a right to be there - also if you wear a hi viz jacket any householder seeing you ad a distance might assume you are with the water company.

The unamed road which is at the 5 o'clock position of the reservoir is a road to the sailing club that has a wooden gate across it. I don't fancy negotiating loads of woodland at 4am in the dark but there really isn't much choice to get in there. It is a shame as I would love to get some sunrise shots there.

Sorry, I just don't get it!

What's the problem with asking for permission to take a few shots at this place? That way there is no chance of you getting locked up, or of bringing photography into disrepute.

You could offer to let the landowner have some copies, perhaps?

Coldeh has summed it up below. As long as you don't cause damage its a civil matter. There are other aspects that could turn it into a criminal matter like going equipped and that could simply be having a screwdriver on you. Obviously other sites like MOD sites for instance could land you in hot water.

If you commit damage you may well be convicted of that.

Trespass is a civil matter in a lot of cases, however it does become criminal in certain cases when dealing with national infrastructure (telephone exchanges, nuclear plants, military bases, ports (including air and sea) etc
(y)(y)

Sorry, I just don't get it!

What's the problem with asking for permission to take a few shots at this place? That way there is no chance of you getting locked up, or of bringing photography into disrepute.

You could offer to let the landowner have some copies, perhaps?

Its a catch 22, there is no problem in asking for permission. Personally if I feel they are going to say out flat its a NO, I won't ask. Simply because you have highlighted the fact you want to get in, they will be keeping an eye out. The reservoir the OP is talking about I know nothing about, but if it was round this way I would try and catch someone on the private road and ask them, I couldn't see why they would even care as its just reservoir.

The unamed road which is at the 5 o'clock position of the reservoir is a road to the sailing club that has a wooden gate across it. I don't fancy negotiating loads of woodland at 4am in the dark but there really isn't much choice to get in there. It is a shame as I would love to get some sunrise shots there.

If it were me I would park right down by the sailing club, your likely to be gone not long after sunrise I guess??

You could just ask the secretary/chair of the sailing club for permission - maybe offer to do some photography for the club as a quid pro quo - they might even let you have a key to the gate

IMO someone like that is more likely to say yes than a private resident - especially if they have an incentive.

alternately you could ask the water company directly - if they dont have a problem with people sailing on it, its not likely that they would object to other public use, especially if you offer them non exclusive use of the resulting images - tho they might want to charge you a licence fee for access, and possibly have you sign an indemnity (basically promising not to sue if you injure yourself while pondling about on their land)

I use to carp fish there. If you are going to be sneaking about, dont be suprised if some one who is carp fishing there, makes a chalenge. As they do not like people wandering around (their gear costs an arm and a leg).

You could just ask the secretary/chair of the sailing club for permission - maybe offer to do some photography for the club as a quid pro quo - they might even let you have a key to the gate

IMO someone like that is more likely to say yes than a private resident - especially if they have an incentive.

alternately you could ask the water company directly - if they dont have a problem with people sailing on it, its not likely that they would object to other public use, especially if you offer them non exclusive use of the resulting images - tho they might want to charge you a licence fee for access, and possibly have you sign an indemnity (basically promising not to sue if you injure yourself while pondling about on their land)

So where I can see the green dashed lines, I am allowed to walk, is that correct?

I use to carp fish there. If you are going to be sneaking about, dont be suprised if some one who is carp fishing there, makes a chalenge. As they do not like people wandering around (their gear costs an arm and a leg).
Oddly enough, my camera equipment isn't that cheap either. Thanks for the tip though, as my experience of fishermen has not been all good (I kayak on rivers). :LOL:

So where I can see the green dashed lines, I am allowed to walk, is that correct?
:

pretty much - if someone wanted to be very strict the existence of a right of way only give you the right to "freely pass and repass" - not to take photos , but in practice its unlikely to come up unless someone is papping from a footpath or summat

I have also just found this, http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2114175

which I will go visit this weekend in the day time on foot to see if it leads to a good spot to compose sunrise shots or sunset shots.

Thanks too all who replied, I have learned some useful info from this topic about access and rights of way :)

I have mooched around plenty of reservoirs over the last few years, never been challenged or had any hassle, as long as they see your a photographer they don't seem that bothered, if you look like a poacher then things may be different.

Back