Beginner Accessories for a new camera?

Woooooowwwwww.

The gear heads are taking over this thread. STOP. You don't need anything more. GAS doesn't get you better photos and you have everything you need to get great pictures.

Think of it as wanting play football....does putting on a replica kit from *********** ****** make you play better. No.

The same is true with photography. A lot of that stuff will sit in the cupboard at home. And as for a bag, I often default to a one lens, one body set up, in a 'padded' plastic carrier bag to avoid drawing attention to it. Carrying too much guff is backbreaking and it often comes back home unused.

As others have said master what you have and find where you are restricted and fill those gaps. I'm sure I won't be alone in admitting to buying accessories and never using them!

I've wasted countless pounds on needless s***e. It's something you may have to get out of your system before you find comfort in a camera and a lens.

A wrist strap ... I prefer it over a neck strap.

Small piece of bubblewrap ... to rest camera on when shooting from ground level or when using a wall/car/dustbin.

As a newcomer to the site and thinking of going DSLR (I am looking at D5500 or D5300 - possibly second hand to get better walkout zoom lens), having got rid of SLR 30+ years ago as I was only using point and shoot I have noted the advice of everyone here.

I would recommend a gps attachment if you get out and about - I have loads of photos pre getting mine of 'somewhere in Scotland' - I bought a generic rather than Nikon one off Amazon and works a treat.

But it's nice buying sh!te.
it's true. I feel awesome after receiving it, but then I never use it. Could be me of course. But i've managed to kick the habbit over the last few years, or at least not invest further monies, just flip stuff I already owned.

Hi Daneel,
I'm not sure why you would need a 50mm and a 35 mm prime lens on a crop body since you have the range covered with your zoom lens.
I'm a newcomer to Nikon and so far I've bought a flash (essential for my indoor photography), 50mm prime, better quality zoom and a wide neckstrap.
Other stuff I already had (bags, tripod, monopod, blower (essential for keeping sensor clean) cleaning swabs for sensor filter).
It can be an expensive hobby and it's addictive but most importantly you must go out and take lots of pictures not just snaps.
By the way, as an ex Canon user I've found that Nikon needs lots more light to get the most out of the sensor and the budget lenses are too slow.

A wrist strap ... I prefer it over a neck strap.

Small piece of bubblewrap ... to rest camera on when shooting from ground level or when using a wall/car/dustbin.
those heating bags that you put in the microwave for sore muscles from the pound shop,very good for resting camera on in certain places

it's true. I feel awesome after receiving it, but then I never use it. Could be me of course. But i've managed to kick the habbit over the last few years, or at least not invest further monies, just flip stuff I already owned.

retail therapy :)

those heating bags that you put in the microwave for sore muscles from the pound shop,very good for resting camera on in certain places
Thanks ... are they filled with some kind of gel making for an adjustable camera angle? With bubblewrap, I have the camera body protected and some rolled/folded under the lens.

By the way, as an ex Canon user I've found that Nikon needs lots more light to get the most out of the sensor

Not sure what you mean, my D3 can 'see' in the dark better than I can.

I have used Canon in the past and think the debate between the two is fruitless.

I'll have 4 x 32GB Sandisk extreme cards soon along with some small items like a lenspen and the remote everyone recommended :)

I also got a Lowepro Flipside 300. Don't feel the need for multiple bags just yet!

I've ordered a tripod. It's a Chinese copy of the MeFOTO Roadtrip that I hope will do for starters. Having played with the camera quite a bit now, I'm doing a lot of close up work and the lens I have are not cutting it, so I think a Tamron 90mm macro is next on the list. On the flip side, the 10-20mm isn't get much use, then again I haven't ventured far to date.

Last edited:
Hi Daneel,
I'm not sure why you would need a 50mm and a 35 mm prime lens on a crop body since you have the range covered with your zoom lens.
I'm a newcomer to Nikon and so far I've bought a flash (essential for my indoor photography), 50mm prime, better quality zoom and a wide neckstrap.
Other stuff I already had (bags, tripod, monopod, blower (essential for keeping sensor clean) cleaning swabs for sensor filter).
It can be an expensive hobby and it's addictive but most importantly you must go out and take lots of pictures not just snaps.
By the way, as an ex Canon user I've found that Nikon needs lots more light to get the most out of the sensor and the budget lenses are too slow.

I think you are right! I had a reason for both in my head when I bought, but now I can't think what it was! I rarely use the 50mm, but the 35mm I use quite a bit. I think once the 90mm macro lens arrives I'll stop using the 50mm all together.

Interesting comment on Canon vs. Nikon, that's not something I've heard before. I had a D40 a long time ago, and I find (or found, I don't know how Canon has evolved) the Nikon system easier. I particularly liked the auto-ISO implementation, and the Nikons were more comfortable in my hand.

Strap, yes, that's one thing still missing!

A box to keep it all in once you've finished acquiring stuff you hardly ever use.

A plastic bag and a rubber band for using the camera and 50mm in the rain.
A kids bean bag for resting it on a wall.
A 7dayshop card holder to put in your pocket and a spare battery.

Need a special lens? Rent it.

If you really, really want to take long exposures, an ARRI superclamp and 1/4" stud and some street furniture/fencing...

Don't buy anything!!! Until you find you need it & even then think carefully if you WILL use it ;)

Less is certainly more IMO where camera gear is concerned :)

Back