Beginner Accessories

Edit My Images
Yes
Just returning to photography with a Canon 100D & wondered if there was bag accessory you consider a must have? Not a lens or other expensive bit of kit.

The only really essential must-have worth-its-weight-in-gold accessory in my bag is a big card which says:

BATTERIES

MEMORY CARDS

Basically, a lens brush, & some sealed wipes. But most of all, a spare memory card, in case the one you've got goes lousy, or you forgot it altogether ...

Plastic bag to use as a camera cover if it rains, sunglasses, sunscreen and a hat for those rare sunny days, earplugs for noisy public events, Zeiss single use lens wipes. Sometimes a small collapsible reflector. Perhaps an old, indestructible Leica tabletop tripod and medium head.

notepad and pencil (never pen)

As you can see from the above, there's nothing 'photographic' which doesn't depend on what you're shooting and personal preferences. Some people absolutely need a set of grad filters before they leave the house, others have no need for them at all, likewise a flashgun, tripod, remote trigger, etc. etc.

Space pen?
That reminds me of the story about the Russian space programme :)

As has already said, the only real essentials are spare battery and memory card, these have saved my day on a few occasions when I have gone out only to find the battery had very little charge or that the memory card was still in the reader at home. I would also add a shower cap, the type that you get free in some hotels. A lifesaver if you get caught in the rain :)

Fast car for those quick getaways, only problem is getting it into a bag

It depends on your camera (I use a large format film camera with no meter, so a light meter is always in my kit) and your subject matter (a landscape/flower photographer might find a bin liner useful to kneel on in damp/muddy conditions). "Must have" accessories depend on what they are accessories to.

Mine won't be the same as yours; using black and white film, I carry a full range of coloured filters; with meterless cameras, I carry a light meter. A lens brush might be useful to both of us though.

Edit to add: I should have started with a lens hood - that is always necessary.

Wow. Gonna need a bigger bag. Won't need the Space Pen though. Terrafirma for me!!
Thanks for replies though.

A small tool that fits all the bolts and screws on your tripod, monopod, quick release plates, etc. and a small torch for finding small things like that in dim light.

Back