Beginner Achieving Great Bokeh (but Subject is Blurred)

Oh no!

Contrary to what I thought;

I just checked and my camera focus mode was actually set to was set to AF-A and AF Area mode was set to Auto.

I guess this would explain why I had auto focussing issues when the lens was set to auto.

EDIT: Here are the two images side by side (it appears that my manual focus was off, after all ;))

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Just to confirm, I shoot in full manual mode and also focus manually.
Just for info..
Read the manual.
Set one of the semi auto modes for exposure
Set AF-S and choose your focus point.
Make pictures

When you've got to grips with that, you can move to other modes (as you realise you need them)

You really have set off on the wrong foot - your camera wasn't designed to be used for manual focus - in fact the design of an AF DSLR makes manual focus horrendous in most situations (like driving an auto car but insisting on controlling the gear change), and the semi auto exposure modes will 'help' you and it's what most pro's use most of the time - there's a time and place for Manual mode but for now it'll just hinder your progress.

Last edited:
I use my Nikon DSLR's quite a lot with the older Nikon MF lens - for me the "focus confirm" indication has always been quite accurate

I use my Nikon DSLR's quite a lot with the older Nikon MF lens - for me the "focus confirm" indication has always been quite accurate

But at closer distances and wider apertures where slight errors can't be hidden so easily in the DoF is it less accurate?

For what it's worth, I have a few tins of the stuff, in case the need arises.

It is extremely effective at cleaning off the dried oil gunky stuff you get on old leaf shutters.

I had a couple of decent short lenses and I always thought they were poor examples. Then I gave myself a challenge about ten years ago to do a full year in manual focus only. I learned a lot and those lenses were actually very good. I learned never focus and recompose with F1.8 lenses. It may not be an issue with the original topic poster.

?????!!!!!
Yes, ok, I do know that mirrorless don't actually have a focus screen. But they do have a surface on which the image is presented and you, the operator, have to judge whether or not the image is in focus. And, is called a screen, too. So, it's fair to talk about them and the issues using them in the same breath, even if the technology/optics providing the image is different.

Yes, ok, I do know that mirrorless don't actually have a focus screen. But they do have a surface on which the image is presented and you, the operator, have to judge whether or not the image is in focus. And, is called a screen, too. So, it's fair to talk about them and the issues using them in the same breath, even if the technology/optics providing the image is different.
I think his point was that you appeared to be suggesting mirrorless were DSLR's (they're not) and that you're missing the point if you're comparing DSLR screens which are crap for MF and mirrorless cameras which are arguably the best MF tool there is short of putting a loupe on the ground glass of a plate camera.

Back