Achnambeithach Cottage.

I feel sorry for the old fella who lives here. I often stop on the way home for a cup of tea after being out and about elsewhere. Unfortunately tour buses stop too. Very often the occupants cross the bridge to wander around which is fine I suppose but when they approach his home to gawp in the windows you have to draw a line. I've seen one small family group attempt to enter his front door.

I feel sorry for the old fella who lives here. I often stop on the way home for a cup of tea after being out and about elsewhere. Unfortunately tour buses stop too. Very often the occupants cross the bridge to wander around which is fine I suppose but when they approach his home to gawp in the windows you have to draw a line. I've seen one small family group attempt to enter his front door.

Crikey, that's not on. There was a tour bus party there yesterday wandering about, although I didn't see them approach the cottage on this occasion.

I honestly thought it was a bothy, everyday is a school day. (y)

3 decades ago I lived in Glencoe for a few years and knew the family who lived there quite well, two brothers and a sister. I suspect one of the brothers still lives there. I won't name them for privacy reasons. Good folk, and stalwarts of Glencoe mountain rescue.
Yes, some people regard the Highlands as living museums. You can have some fun with them sometimes, such as the time myself and some other local residents convinced visitors that we hadn't heard of the television. "What, a wooden box with a window and wee folk running around inside of it? Away, you'll be telling me they've put a man on the moon next."

“Cracking” shot, nothing more to be said.

George.

Oh dear that is never right - If someone did that to me at my home they'd be looking down the business end of one of my shotguns for sure :mad:

Les

PS Lovely image @Dale.

Fantastic light and what a scene. Lovely photograph. I was about to say I'd love to live there until I read what Scott wrote. If it's like that can the owner not fence off his land somewhat or at least draw some sort of perimeter around his house to prevent that problem?

Fantastic light and what a scene. Lovely photograph. I was about to say I'd love to live there until I read what Scott wrote. If it's like that can the owner not fence off his land somewhat or at least draw some sort of perimeter around his house to prevent that problem?

Thanks for the comment.

Well taken image with superb cross lighting. Well worth being printed and hanging on your wall.

Thank you.

Beautiful. How long did you have to wait for such a perfectly placed hole in the clouds?

Thank you.

It was taken on my way back from Glenfinnan earlier that day. I'd pulled in (it's a bit of a pitstop) and always wanted a decent image of this cottage. The light? Well, for once, not long actually, it can change so quickly in Glencoe but there's always the other extreme, you can wait all day and get nothing.

Last edited:
Hi Joel. It is fenced off to an extent to keep livestock contained, the bridge has a cattle grid to stop them escaping. The Scottish right to roam act states the land owner must provide a safe and adequate means of access if fenced off. My preference would be a huge bull in the field with a beware the bull sign posted on the bridge. That would work.

Back