Acronyms

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Have been busy reading lots things to do with photography, and i am amazed by the amount of acronyms.

Here are some that i could do with help deciphering.

The first two are relating to the sigma macro lens and are "APO" and "DL"

Also I think this may relate to canon lenses "EF"

Thanks in advance.

Mike :confused-

APO = APO (APO Lens)
In order to attain the highest quality images, the APO lens has been made using special low-dispersion (SLD) glass and is designed to minimize color aberration.(from Sigma)

DL = DL: Deluxe. Indicates Sigma low-end lenses

EF = EF: Electro-Focus. Refers to the focus motor built into the lens that is common to all EOS-mount lenses

EFS = EF-S: Electro-Focus Short Back Focus. Canon's new lines of lenses made specifically for small-sensor EOS digital cameras

hows that? cant remember where i got these from but had them in a text file

So if a lens is EOS then its automatically EF?

from Sigma
APO lenses. These lenses use apochromatic design and Special Low Dispersion glass (SLD) for minimum color aberration and ultimate telephoto image quality, improving contrast and sharpness.

Apochromatic (APO) telephoto lenses greatly minimize color aberration, a phenomenon created by different wave lengths of light refracting at different angles. This causes each color to have a slightly different imaging point, resulting in poor image quality.

APO Zoom Macros offer up to 1:2 magnification in the telephoto range with instant shifting from normal to macro shooting.

APO Tele-Macros offer 1:3 image size close focus, long thought to be impossible for a telephoto lens — and are no larger than a fixed focal lens of the same class.

Sammy - yeah i think so!

Back