Actual Macro Lens or Filter style add on Lens...

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
As I am just getting into photography I am looking for a bit of advice on this subject. I really want to give macro photos a shot (excuse the pun) but dont want to spend a lot of money on another lens, I have seen these filter style add on "Macro lens" to attach to my existing lens but am unsure if they will be any good?

What is the general opinion on these? Any Pros or Cons to either?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MACRO-Close-U...0|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1308|301:1|293:1|294:50

Hello,

As a starter they are not bad actually for the cost! I started off my macro journey with a +4 on the 18-55 kit lens with pretty good results. You'll get frustrated though and want to get closer and closer :D

Cheers,

Neil.

As I am just getting into photography I am looking for a bit of advice on this subject. I really want to give macro photos a shot (excuse the pun) but dont want to spend a lot of money on another lens, I have seen these filter style add on "Macro lens" to attach to my existing lens but am unsure if they will be any good?

What is the general opinion on these? Any Pros or Cons to either?

Thought about extension tubes?

Yes, and more expensive. I've never tried them on the kit lens though, only got mine once I bought the 100mmf2.8.

I bought a set of these off ebay, used them once, didn't like them and bought extension tubes instead, didn't like them too much. so then bought a mcro lens!!

Welcome to the expensive journey of macro!!!!

I bought a set of these off ebay, used them once, didn't like them and bought extension tubes instead, didn't like them too much. so then bought a mcro lens!!

Welcome to the expensive journey of macro!!!!

• I bought them as my first step into macro, quality is ok for the price. Wanted to get closer.
  • Bought a reversing ring, nightmare to use. Wanted to get closer.
  • Bought a 100mm f2.8 lens, excellent, love it. Still wanted to get closer.
  • Bought extension tubes, lovely, very close, quality was so so compared to the mp-e65, wanted to get closer.
  • Ended up buying the mp-e65mm and mt-24 flash, happy now :LOL:

Cut out all the middle stuff and go for the mp-e instead of the filters (y)

Hmmm, makes me think I may just save for a decent lens.

What didnt you like about them?

I took 1 picture with them and loaded it onto this forum. People looked at it and said that it was soft. With hindsight it may well have been me, but I assumed straight away that it was the filter and nver used it again!

Knowing my luck, they're probably fine!!!

I've used screw-in close-up lenses for years now and they are sufficient for getting into close-up photography but they don't compare with a good quality, dedicated macro lens. But, for the money they are good - you do tend to get some distortion and blurring around the edge of the frame but at low apertures to get shallow DOF it's not a massive problem.

Tubes are good but pricey. Give screw-ins a go and see how you feel - £12 plus P&P is pretty good value :)

this pic is of a jumping spider aproximately 4 mm in size taken on a manual set of extention tubes costing £8 from e bay give it a go (y)

spider-from-bathroom.png

on a d50 by the way

Back