AD200....what “Mods” are you using........

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Having got one of these just after Christmas through Lencarta I’ve only used it indoors with a big Octa soft box combined with speed lites and a Hilite......

Been impressed with the power and results so far but starting to think about outdoors now it’s getting a little warmer and wondered what other Modifiers members are specifically using with the AD200 both indoors and out......but with portability being key for the outdoor stuff as I usually find myself on a remote beach somewhere doing people / pet shots.......

Any suggestions/ ideas welcome.......

Mods are just tools that help you to achieve the effects that you want, so the short answer, for indoor shots at least, is that the choice of mods depends on what you want to achieve - or in other words, nobody can give you a helpful answer without having a lot of information about your studio size/space, the type of shots you want to take and the effects that you want to achieve.

Outdoors though is a bit simpler, at least in bright sunlight.
The reality is that the AD200, although very usable outdoors, will struggle in very bright sunlight, and isn't up to the job of overpowering the sun when used with a big softbox or similar. And anyway, in bright sunlight, the different effects that can so easily be achieved by using different modifers in the studio simply don't exist to any meaningful extent, for example there wouldn't be that much difference in effect between a large softbox and a small one. Generally, with something like the AD200, what's important is light placement, rather than the mod fitted, and most of the time at least, using just the standard reflector, or possibly a high intensity reflector like this one https://www.lencarta.com/high-intensity-reflector-s-fit-long-throw-45-degree (which amplifies the amount of light reaching the subject from a given distance) is often the best choice.
A reflective umbrella (but NOT a shoot through one) can also be useful outdoors.

Mods are just tools that help you to achieve the effects that you want, so the short answer, for indoor shots at least, is that the choice of mods depends on what you want to achieve - or in other words, nobody can give you a helpful answer without having a lot of information about your studio size/space, the type of shots you want to take and the effects that you want to achieve.

Outdoors though is a bit simpler, at least in bright sunlight.
The reality is that the AD200, although very usable outdoors, will struggle in very bright sunlight, and isn't up to the job of overpowering the sun when used with a big softbox or similar. And anyway, in bright sunlight, the different effects that can so easily be achieved by using different modifers in the studio simply don't exist to any meaningful extent, for example there wouldn't be that much difference in effect between a large softbox and a small one. Generally, with something like the AD200, what's important is light placement, rather than the mod fitted, and most of the time at least, using just the standard reflector, or possibly a high intensity reflector like this one https://www.lencarta.com/high-intensity-reflector-s-fit-long-throw-45-degree (which amplifies the amount of light reaching the subject from a given distance) is often the best choice.
A reflective umbrella (but NOT a shoot through one) can also be useful outdoors.

Thanks Garry I suppose I’m mainly interested in what might be useful on the hoof outdoors as in easy to carry (but I am interested to learn what add ons people have purchased and for what purpose indoors too) there was no reflector included with the unit so the one you suggested looks easy to carry and potentially effective.......take your point on board about overpowering the sun and thought about doubling up the ad200 but Would you say the 600 might be a better bet?

Well, the 600 WOULD be a better bet in terms of power, but it's a lot bigger, a lot heavier, it costs a lot more and it needs a sturdy stand.
If you end up doing complex location fashion shoots then you may end up getting 8 or 10 AD600's or similar - but for now, why not stick with the excellent AD200, which probably ticks most of the boxes. The time to upgrade equipment is when you have exausted the potential of your existing gear, and you've barely started using it yet:)
If you go for that high intensity reflector (or any other reflector) you will also need an adapter https://www.lencarta.com/str-speedlite-to-s-fit-Adapter

Well, the 600 WOULD be a better bet in terms of power, but it's a lot bigger, a lot heavier, it costs a lot more and it needs a sturdy stand.
If you end up doing complex location fashion shoots then you may end up getting 8 or 10 AD600's or similar - but for now, why not stick with the excellent AD200, which probably ticks most of the boxes. The time to upgrade equipment is when you have exausted the potential of your existing gear, and you've barely started using it yet:)
If you go for that high intensity reflector (or any other reflector) you will also need an adapter https://www.lencarta.com/str-speedlite-to-s-fit-Adapter

Fair point and as you say I need to get out there with what I’ve got....funnily enough the adapter was included in the deal at Christmas ( but I dont think it is now......)...... thanks for the heads up on the reflector too....[emoji106]

Mines only been out once and I used my cheap brolly box my most portable solution)

I will be trying it out with the Lencarta folding BD next though as an indoor solution for the most flexible approach.

I was looking at the beauty dishes Phil...so there is a folding version....? Did you buy it with the ad200...?

No I had it previously.

It’s bigger and rounder than the Little Godox one 80cm and 16 ribs, and a lip that controls falloff and a grid.

Last edited:
No I had it previously.

It’s bigger and rounder than the Little Godox one 80cm and 16 ribs, and a lip that controls falloff and a grid.

Thanks Phil...will have to think about the extra £50 or so or see if there’s a deal at the NEC.......do you ever hand hold the ad200 or have somebody do it for you....was thinking about some sort of handle / grip attachment ........

Last edited:
Thanks Phil...will have to think about the extra £50 or so or see if there’s a deal at the NEC.......do you ever hand hold the ad200 or have somebody do it for you....was thinking about some sort of handle / grip attachment ........
A couple of years ago, Wex had a sale and the Manfrotto pole was a fiver.

I often have a VAL but I reckon I could possibly do the AD 200 myself.

Back