Adapted lenses (all weird lenses welcome)

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I couldn't find the ideal thread to share a snap of my latest toy - a rather unusual lens adapted to my trusty G5 so I thought I'd start a new thread for all the oddballs :)

ultra macro lens set up by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

The lens was sold as a '0.7x to 4.5x c-mount microscope objective' but the connection to c-mount involved a 0.5x relay lens so it only gave half that magnification on my sensor (& vignette badly). I removed the relay lens & jury rigged a fitting using bits I had lying around (PK-T2 outer, to EF-PK adapter to EF-MFT helicoid) For most of the zoom travel I no longer get vignetting & magnification is improved but still not quite reaching the quoted range.

Full magnification gives about 3x with quite good working distance
full magnification in mm (unedited) by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

Shortly before the minimum magnification setting it reaches infinity focus giving results similar to a 100mm f/9
infinity focus test - shipping by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

Another recent addition was a 50mm/1.2 projection lens - I've never been able to afford a 1.2 SLR lens
Mounted 50mm/1.2 projector lens by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

Mounted by a stepping ring (hot glued to the lens) to a 65mm diameter helicoid connected on a short M42 adapter. I did have to trim ~1cm of spare metal from the back of the lens as otherwise the lens would have been dangerously close to the sensor stack at infinity!
It's been too bright to get a good infinity shot on the occasions I've been out with this lens but here's a closeup example :)
50mm/1.2 projector lens test shot wide open by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

One of my earliest efforts a 'tilt shift' mount for a projection lens.
DIY tilt/shift 1 by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

The rubber gaiter here sat within the mount of my DSLR allowing freelensing without the stray light & most of the dirt.
I didn't quite get focus as I wanted it in my example the houses in the background being a bit soft - but it shows the intended effect.
freelensing portrait by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

A general 'Adapted lenses' thread might be better. There's quite a few on here like to adapt old glass, it is fun, I enjoy it myself. Can't say I have had anything 'odd' as such though. I guess the 'oddest' for me was a Takumar 200mm F4 that looked a little mad on a little Em5:

Takumar on em5.jpg

A general 'Adapted lenses' thread might be better. There's quite a few on here like to adapt old glass, it is fun, I enjoy it myself. Can't say I have had anything 'odd' as such though.
I assumed there was already an adapted lens thread, I'll see if I can broaden the title :)

I assumed there was already an adapted lens thread, I'll see if I can broaden the title :)

I think there was one at some point, but it's sunk so far down it would be like raising Tutankhamen :D

You can change the title of the thread under thread tools

Nothing too unusual here......

Mainly the Voigtlander Nokton 40/1.4 followed by some Yashica ML primes - 28/2.8 & 50/1.9 ;) I do have a Tokina RMC 80-200/4 & a SD28-70mm which have been on the A7 maybe once!! Ohhhh, a Helios 44-2 also :)

I have had..... Leitz Tele-Elmarit 90/2.8 (wish I didn't sell it now!!) FD28, FD50/1.4, FD50/1.8, FD85, Helios 135MC, Helios 44m-4, Helios 77m-4, Pentacon 50/1.8, Yashica ML50/1.4 & 50/1.7........

I had the Helios 44-2, real fun little lens, works a treat for macro when reversed too. Atm the only adapted lens I use is a Canon FD 50mm f/3.5 macro. It's only 1:2 macro but when I stick my Raynox 250 on there it becomes just over 1:1, not too shabby, results are very decent when it's stopped down. It's actually not bad at all wide open for portraits either, be better if it was a 2.8 but being a macro it is designed more to be stopped down

I love using legacy lenses on my M4/3 bodies and recently bought an EM10 ii for it's IBIS feature. It's a wee bit small for my hands but great IQ, currently using a Canon FD 200mm f2.8 on it, decent wide open, obviously improves on stopping down, plus the usual purple fringing in high contrast areas which is the norm with most legacy lenses. I used to use an old Nikkor enlarging lens for macro, focus was only by focal distance, but good results.

I love using legacy lenses on my M4/3 bodies and recently bought an EM10 ii for it's IBIS feature. It's a wee bit small for my hands but great IQ, currently using a Canon FD 200mm f2.8 on it, decent wide open, obviously improves on stopping down, plus the usual purple fringing in high contrast areas which is the norm with most legacy lenses. I used to use an old Nikkor enlarging lens for macro, focus was only by focal distance, but good results.

For sure, having 5-axis stabilization for these old lenses, no restriction, breathes a whole new life into them. When I had the 200mm F4 on Fuji it was tricky to keep steady frame when shooting the garden birds - which is what i used that one for mostly - but on the G80 or Em5, not only more reach, but the IBIS was a gift, really made the difference for more concentrated shots. I have looked at that Canon 200 2.8, is the fringing really terrible? or easily corrected?

I have started a thread in photos for pleasure , for pictures taken with micro four thirds cameras and any lens ,these would definetly fall into that category so feel free to add them ,your input would be appreciated

I have started a thread in photos for pleasure , for pictures taken with micro four thirds cameras and any lens ,these would definetly fall into that category so feel free to add them ,your input would be appreciated

Yes I've put a few on there already that would have fitted into this thread too, including an example with the 50/1.2, and one through my Helios 1000 that 's not yet on here (I haven't taken a shot of the lens/camera yet)... I've thousands more that can be added to the MFT thread but didn't want to make your thread too geeky!

It also wouldn't be the right place for lenses adapted to other bodies, such as my DSLRs and the converted NEX body I'm considering.

Here's another from my oldest DSLR a pentax K100d, with a 40mm astronomy eyepiece used in front of the kit lens.
Knot macro by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr
I tried a 4mm eyepeice too but focus required it to touch the subject & vignetting was horrendous. Mind you the shot I took of one of our lampshades did look more like a planet than anything I've captured through my scope!

Last edited:
I have an industar 90u 75mm f/4 on the way. No idea what's it going to be like.
Look forward to seeing the results, not got round to trying my Industar 23u yet. I quite liked the Industar 50-2 but it's a bit fiddly :)

Last edited:
For sure, having 5-axis stabilization for these old lenses, no restriction, breathes a whole new life into them. When I had the 200mm F4 on Fuji it was tricky to keep steady frame when shooting the garden birds - which is what i used that one for mostly - but on the G80 or Em5, not only more reach, but the IBIS was a gift, really made the difference for more concentrated shots. I have looked at that Canon 200 2.8, is the fringing really terrible? or easily corrected?
Sorry for the late reply, no it was easily corrected in Lightroom or any other editing software for that matter.

I use a Kilfitt Makro Kilar 90mm 2.8 with an alpa bayonet fitting originally on an olympus m 4/3 om-d e-m5 mk1. But that camera has now been sold as I worked out I could remove the alpa bayonet and the lens has a leica 39 screw thread which can be adapted to a nikon F bayonet fitting so it can go on my nikons. I've also discovered a kilfitt to nikon original adapter for sale, but it's expensive! The Kilfitts were very adaptable to a large range of cameras in their day owing to kilfitt producing a large range of adapters.

The lens produces some uniquely unusual spherical aberration wide open creating double 'bubble' rings when the lens is pointed towards a subject with a bright reflective background some metres behind it. This creates an interesting effect. The lens is based on a cooke triplet design I believe and the unique bokeh is a 'fault' to most, but I love the effect for the right kind of photo. With the lens stopped down it is a reasonable performer considering it was manufactured in 1958 or thereabouts. I'll probably take this lens to the grave with me!

Back