Adaptor

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I want an OM to Fuji X adaptor. They vary in price from £15 to £500. Any recommendations please?

SRB Photographic are my usual recommendation for adaptors. They check (or used to) all the products they sell to make sure they work and fit properly. Not the cheapest but should avoid wasting time if a different supplier's product needs to be returned.

You would be better spending £500 on a decent lens :)

Cheapish is good.

I have a Nikon to Fuji X, and an M42 to Fuji X, both are pretty solid, all steel/anodized aluminium - One [Nikon] has an aperture ring so it can be used with G lenses [without an aperture ring] and was £17, the other is just a basic M42 screw mount adapter and was just £10. Both feel good quality for the money, and they do not affect image quality. You'll get as good as the lens can deliver.

There is no need to spend any more than this. No matter how much you pay you will be manual focusing, and missing some cpu data. Like Kendo says, for £500, you can get some very nice Fuji specific glass. Adapting lenses should be fun, experimental and cheap!

Just to add: The Nikon adapter was fro K&F concept, the 42 was a non name from ebay.

Last edited:
The low cost adapters work just fine if you are happy to continue with the Fuji crop factor when using an OM lens. A 200mm OM F4 lens will act as a circa 300mm F4 lens when fitted to a Fuji CSC using a low cost plain adapter. It is not using the full image circle produced by the lens. The higher cost adapters are typically Speed Boosters, these contain optical elements and act as focal reducers, with a factor of about x0.71. This enables the sensor to capture the full image circle produced by a full frame lens such as the OM lenses and has the effect of increasing the light to the sensor by 1 stop. Using the same lens, the 200mm OM F4 when fitted to the Speed Booster becomes an equivalent of an F2.8 213mm lens. fairly close to the original focal length, the Fuji almost acting as if it were a full frame camera. This becomes more important when dealing with wide angle lenses, the OM 28mm is equivalent to 42mm lenses with an ordinary adapter, not very wide at all. or circa 30mm with a Speed Booster. Care is needed fitting any lens, to ensure that there is no rearward projection of the lens to collide with the speedbooster optical elements.
The Rolls Royce of Speed Boosters are Metabones, with very high prices. Cheaper options are available, I use a Lens Turbo II which was about £109 and whilst the build quality does not match Metabones, it does the job well. For me, it was a worthwile investment, to claw back some of the crop factor and the extra stop of light is great, it really depends upon individual usage as to whether the cost is justified.

My set up is: OM lenses, OM to EF adapter, Lens Turbo II (EF to M4/3), G7 Lumix.

An M4/3 sensor is smaller than Fuji's so how does that work? Your 200mm is going to act as an even longer lens on your OM.

I've seen reviewers compare metabones to cheap, non element adapters, and most of the suggest to just get the cheaper option. It's possible these speed booster types can degrade IQ slightly, because the glass element in the is the last pass before the sensor. The cheap, non element one have no bearing on IQ, all they do is correct the space required between sensor and lens for varying mounts. As Fuji bodies are some of the thinnest, the adapters are usually thicker, but that's the only difference.

Last edited:
I assume the £500 devices are speedbooster. To my mind you'd only get one of these if you had a specific, expensive lens in mind.

However, speedboosters do improve resolution, as they magnify the full frame circle onto the smaller sensor.

I agree about SRB.

I've a had a few cheaply adapters from eBay and some were ok, some not but SRB have always been excellent.

An M4/3 sensor is smaller than Fuji's so how does that work? Your 200mm is going to act as an even longer lens on your OM.

I've seen reviewers compare metabones to cheap, non element adapters, and most of the suggest to just get the cheaper option. It's possible these speed booster types can degrade IQ slightly, because the glass element in the is the last pass before the sensor. The cheap, non element one have no bearing on IQ, all they do is correct the space required between sensor and lens for varying mounts. As Fuji bodies are some of the thinnest, the adapters are usually thicker, but that's the only difference.

It's true that a M4/3 sensor is smaller than the APS sized Fuji, M4/3 ends up with a crop factor of x2. The Olympus 200mm ends up as 284mm F2.8 equivalent on my G7. This is a lens I already own and for the sake of an outlay of £109, I can use it on my camera whilst taking into account that manual focusing will be required and gain a stop of light. I could, of course, just buy the Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro for nearly £1000 or mount a Canon 300mm F2.8 onto my full frame Canon DSLR for £4500; this would enable autofocus and undeniably better image quality. So for me, the £109 was a relatively small investment to gain the extra stop of light and to have the pleasure of using my older generation lenses, which provide a different look but likely lower image quality. I'm clearly not alone in this area, the prices of certain older manual lenses are rising quickly on Ebay. My recently acquired Tamron F2.5 Adaptall Macro Lens gives stunning results on the small number of test shots so far.

The addition of optical elements in an adapter could result in image quality degrading and this was certainly true of the Lens Turbo Version 1 and the infamous blue spot. Later versions don't seem to have any issues, especially when using the very costly Metabones. Tony Northrup has done a number of videos on adapted lenses and adapters, most of his recent videos are shot entirely in 4K with speed boosted GH4s (and probably EF lenses) without quality issues.

Perhaps the real question is why do some photographers want to adopt lenses and go to the faff of manual focusing and using a heavy old lens instead of a lightwieght modern lens. Some gain pleasure from doing so and others think it a waste of time, each to their own.

It's true that a M4/3 sensor is smaller than the APS sized Fuji, M4/3 ends up with a crop factor of x2. The Olympus 200mm ends up as 284mm F2.8 equivalent on my G7. This is a lens I already own and for the sake of an outlay of £109, I can use it on my camera whilst taking into account that manual focusing will be required and gain a stop of light. I could, of course, just buy the Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro for nearly £1000 or mount a Canon 300mm F2.8 onto my full frame Canon DSLR for £4500; this would enable autofocus and undeniably better image quality. So for me, the £109 was a relatively small investment to gain the extra stop of light and to have the pleasure of using my older generation lenses, which provide a different look but likely lower image quality. I'm clearly not alone in this area, the prices of certain older manual lenses are rising quickly on Ebay. My recently acquired Tamron F2.5 Adaptall Macro Lens gives stunning results on the small number of test shots so far.

The addition of optical elements in an adapter could result in image quality degrading and this was certainly true of the Lens Turbo Version 1 and the infamous blue spot. Later versions don't seem to have any issues, especially when using the very costly Metabones. Tony Northrup has done a number of videos on adapted lenses and adapters, most of his recent videos are shot entirely in 4K with speed boosted GH4s (and probably EF lenses) without quality issues.

Perhaps the real question is why do some photographers want to adopt lenses and go to the faff of manual focusing and using a heavy old lens instead of a lightwieght modern lens. Some gain pleasure from doing so and others think it a waste of time, each to their own.

I'm all for adapting old lenses, see above, I have 2 adapters and searching some interesting lenses to try out - it's almost as head-wrecking as pondering and researching modern lenses! :D I think it's a really nice side hobby to have, hunting down some classic old glass and seeing what you can do with it today. These old lenses have character, something many modern ones lack, no matter how sharp and fast they may be. In fact, some of the older lenses have charm because they are not sharp! but have a unique bokeh or filmic feel about them.

I just wonder how much better the speed booster variants are? I'm genuinely curious. Would it be worth me investing in one? What advantages etc ... so just questioning their merit in general.

I had a Sigma 150mmm 2.8 OS macro lens left over from my Nikon clear out. I couldn't sell it because the OS is knackered, otherwise it's a mint, beautiful lens, albeit very hefty [1.2KG] - so I started to look for ways to mount it on my XT-1. The first adapter I bought was a K&F concept Nikon G to Fuji X, and it's working really well. It's a finicky set up because the lens is so damn heavy, so best on a tripod with the manual focusing especially. But I' very pleased with the results so far. I went and got an M42 adapter also, after seeing how well they work, and I'm awaiting delivery of an old Helios 44-2 F2/58mm. I'm as excited about that as I would be for a new modern lens tbh.

I will look ore into the speed booster types for sure.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
I'll give SRB a ring and probably buy theirs. I'm interested to see what these lenses are like on the Fuji (Zuiko 50mm 1.4 and 85mm f2).
The other option, as was pointed out, is to sell them and put the money towards a Fuji lens. It was with reluctance I conceded that film was too expensive now and significantly less convenient, so continuing to use the OM lenses is appealing for sentimental reasons. Having said that though, I had a look at 'sold listings' on ebay and was surprised at how much they go for.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
I'll give SRB a ring and probably buy theirs. I'm interested to see what these lenses are like on the Fuji (Zuiko 50mm 1.4 and 85mm f2).
The other option, as was pointed out, is to sell them and put the money towards a Fuji lens. It was with reluctance I conceded that film was too expensive now and significantly less convenient, so continuing to use the OM lenses is appealing for sentimental reasons. Having said that though, I had a look at 'sold listings' on ebay and was surprised at how much they go for.

If 500 was your budget? then why not have both? You could get the Fuji 35 F2, and have plenty left over for an adapter and some legacy lenses to boot.

If 500 was your budget? then why not have both? You could get the Fuji 35 F2, and have plenty left over for an adapter and some legacy lenses to boot.
Budget wasn't posted. Cost of adaptors was...

I wouldn't consider spending £500 on an adaptor. I just included that in the original post because until I started looking at what was available, I had no idea that there was such a huge range in prices.

I haven't bought an adaptor from SRB but have bought other items and have always found their stuff to be decent quality at a reasonable price and good service too.

Dave

Back