Adaptors on Fuji X producing black file image only

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
So I've finally got around to getting a Pentax K and a M42 adaptor for my X-T10, the former for my much loved 50mm 1.4 SMC M and the latter for my Helios 58mm 2.0 44M-4. These are tried and tested and fully working. So the adaptors fit great. Camera in AV, manual setting for the focus, auto ISO. Focus is fine, as is aperture. Take the shot and I get an image on the screen. Take out the SD card, put it into the Chromebook and all I see is a black file icon and the image opens just as a black file. Put my Fuji 18-55mm on and it takes images that I can actually view.

So, what have I missed here?

Last edited:
You've enabled the shoot without lens fitted option I'm guessing? (Not sure if it would fire at all if you didn't, just spitballing).

Yeah, did that.

Have you got Exposure Preview set to ON?
But you say the shot plays back on these camera screen although it gives you a blank on the card? That sounds very odd.

Have double/triple checked everything on the camera and now think it's a software thing, so need to move from my Chromebook and fire up the desktop/Photoshop to try to read the files ... when I can be bothered #weekend

Panic over. Everything views fine using Photoshop so I probably need a different image viewer for the Chromebook.

In that case are you shooting in raw? If so then a standard image viewer wouldn't be able to view them. They would open fine in photoshop.

The fuji raw extension is .raf.

Yeah,shooting in RAW. But Chromebook files app will view .raf files fine, if I use a standard Fuji AF lens, just bizarrely not the files produced using the manual lens combo.

So I've discovered I can use the Polarr app to view any of my Fuji files and it's a decent image editor too. Most of my shots are basic review images that need only cropping and minor adjustments so I can do that now.

Last edited:
Must be something to do with the exif data stored in the files, as that's the only thing that is in any way different from using a Fuji lens.

No, exif is not relevant to raw files. It will no doubt be related to how the chromeos raw file viewer interprets the exposure information. When I attach a Samyang lens to my Fujis, the aperture displays as F/0. I think you can amend this in the camera settings but I've never bothered as I never saw the need but perhaps this is a good example of when it might be a good idea.

I wonder if your first viewer app is automatically applying lens corrections from data normally embedded in the RAW file, but when you use an adapted lens it's not there and the viewer gives up rather than render an uncorrected image.

Back