(Added Bugs) #NO CROPS Tokina 11-16mm Reversed Test 2

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought I'd start a new thread as the last one examples where rubbish on what this setup can do

Tokina 11-16mm on Auto adapter (reversing tool) + flash diffused.

Glare can be an issue and a hood maybe adviseable but it need to be a short one just off end of lens I have bought a beer koozie that I intend to chop up and see if that helps.

An example all can relate too;

1. 16mm

Tokina Test-0257-09
by bthomas124, on Flickr

2. 11mm

Tokina Test-0258-10
by bthomas124, on Flickr

3. 16mm

Tokina Test-0259-11
by bthomas124, on Flickr

4. 11mm

Tokina Test-0262-12
by bthomas124, on Flickr

5. 15mm ---- Edge of mutlitool (dremel) cutting blade

Tokina Test-0254-08
by bthomas124, on Flickr

6. Peace Lily 16mm

Tokina Test-0248-07
by bthomas124, on Flickr

7. 11mm

Tokina Test-0244-05
by bthomas124, on Flickr

8. 11mm
Tokina Test-0233-01 by bthomas124, on Flickr

All comments welcome and appreciated.

:ty:

These are interesting Bryn,

I appreciate these are early experiments but they certainly show that this could be a useful setup. Initially it would seem to me that the lens has a bit more bite to it when racked out to the longer settings. Of course I realize that this could also give this effect because the magnification is slightly less at the longer end and any movement etc would not be quite so apparent.

I shall watch this thread with interest. Thanks for posting.(y)

George.

Nice! Looks like you got the light working better which is great. All look good to me, seems plenty sharp but the real test is how it handles outside ;)

These are interesting Bryn,

I appreciate these are early experiments but they certainly show that this could be a useful setup. Initially it would seem to me that the lens has a bit more bite to it when racked out to the longer settings. Of course I realize that this could also give this effect because the magnification is slightly less at the longer end and any movement etc would not be quite so apparent.

I shall watch this thread with interest. Thanks for posting.(y)

George.

Cheers George, yes early days I think both are as sharp though when your scene width is 3mm its hard.

Nice! Looks like you got the light working better which is great. All look good to me, seems plenty sharp but the real test is how it handles outside ;)

Need to work out some hood or line the inside of the adapter with some velvet. Desperately wanted to go outside yesterday but it rained non stop I was P**sed to say the least as we are all used to seeing Collembola shots ;) so that might generate a little more interest in this.

Got to say this is sharper than the 18mm on the 18-55. I think the best point on 18-55 is 24 & 35mm both seem to do well. Am think of trying a 10-22 canon to be the higher mag option than this tokina but thats for another day.

That blade looks like it has seen better days! Wow bryn - they are close, love those pen nib shots

Cheers Carl, that blade is brand new and looks completely fine to naked eye... ;)

you do like to play don't ya Bryn- I don't have this lens but some nice results can be had by the look of the above images

I may try reversing the 105mm Macro lol

Les

you do like to play don't ya Bryn- I don't have this lens but some nice results can be had by the look of the above images

I may try reversing the 105mm Macro lol

Les

That will get you 1:1 lol.... ;)

Yes I know But thank you for reminding me - I'm pretty new to all this Photography malarkey :p:p:p:p

Remember 11mm = 3mm scene width

No crops... Used a beer koozie to make a hood and to cover joint in adapter to lens need to work out some different lighting as still get Glare which can be seen on my Flickr.

1. 11mm beetle larvae

IMG_0282
by bthomas124, on Flickr

2. 16mm

IMG_0283
by bthomas124, on Flickr

3. 16mm

IMG_0310
by bthomas124, on Flickr

4. 16mm

IMG_0270
by bthomas124, on Flickr

5. 16mm

IMG_0295
by bthomas124, on Flickr

6. 16mm
IMG_0303 by bthomas124, on Flickr

7. 11mm

IMG_0305
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Last edited:
Bryn when will you take the next step maybe a microscope and would that satisfy your lust (wow) ------------------------------- for close, close, even closer up!

Bryn when will you take the next step maybe a microscope and would that satisfy your lust (wow) ------------------------------- for close, close, even closer up!

To be honest think the lust won't stop till I get an MPE. These guys have it easy lol they just don't know it.

I won't go into microscopic zone. Its just another added cosy 7x is enough for me and has limited use anyhow.

Brilliant high mag work Bryn the beetle larvae especially are fantastic:)
I've got the 11-16 tokina I've never thought of using it for macro! !

Brilliant high mag work Bryn the beetle larvae especially are fantastic:)
I've got the 11-16 tokina I've never thought of using it for macro! !

Thanks Pete, you can use it in normal position too as MFD is 25cm for more landscapey type macro shots....

Ok I have shown the best I have done with this setup but I'll show the Glare issues I see.... I think I will try lining the front part of adapter with some velvet but any suggestions as Hood is not really an option I have added as said above beer koozie to make a little hood.

Tokina Reverse-0327-14
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Tokina Reverse-0328-15
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Tokina Reverse-0312-01
by bthomas124, on Flickr

It appears to be central on the frame too....

When not shooting into the gound Flare isnt a issue

Tokina Reverse-0322-09
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Front or back end of some larvae

Tokina Reverse-0333-20
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Crikey that looks bad! Not sure what to advise, as it seems pretty central to the frame rather than a loss of contrast throughout. Why isn't a hood an option? You don't need something that comes out far, you could even cut out a ring of foam or something to stick on the front (back) of your lens. Even something that sticks out a short way might help considerably.

Also, how is your diffuser positioned? Is it directly above the lens?

Crikey that looks bad! Not sure what to advise, as it seems pretty central to the frame rather than a loss of contrast throughout. Why isn't a hood an option? You don't need something that comes out far, you could even cut out a ring of foam or something to stick on the front (back) of your lens. Even something that sticks out a short way might help considerably.

Also, how is your diffuser positioned? Is it directly above the lens?

Hood is not really an option due to distance the front of adapter gets to subject often shoot at 30 degrees or even worse 45 degrees to be able to focus. Anyhow I have a beer koozie foam thing for beer cans that sticks out about 1/2cm from front which is ok cause it can bend when you scrape the surface and it also protects the lens adapter. This is also long enough to cover joint of adapter to lens (back of).

Diffuser is set back from front of lens angled 45 degrees towards subject. Think this means essential the ground is nearly 90 degrees from lens light wise so could be the issue.

Will take some more pics of setup.

Back