Beginner Adding a border

Edit My Images
Yes
I've notice that no one is adding a border to their photos on here, just wondering why that might be.

I add key lines (2-3px depending) with high/ low key digital images just to keep the edge of an image intact and not get it lost in the viewer's background screen colour. Gotta have a use/ reason for a border otherwise they unnecessarily draw the eye from the image imho.

I always liked boarders too. I still use them fairly often. I was taught that boarders constrained the eye within it's frame. I started in film where boarders were not only common and accepted but used to shape and place the image on the paper that you printed on. So, if you wanted a square picture you had to crop the negative and then decide if you were going to cut the paper square or how you would place it. The modern version enables me to used historical and esthetic choices. Paint brush marks on the edges, colored frame, white or black depending whether you have a hi or low key image. I put some of mine in a gallery as examples. This is really my first post here other than an introduction so I hope I'm doing this right.

I'd be guessing and say because digital images come off the camera without a border, most people think of them like that.
Oldies like me can remember prints coming back from the shop with a border, then later printing my own with a frame to hold the paper flat which held the edges down and masked the edges.
I do sometimes add a border in Photoshop, but mostly dont.

I'm thinking the border your talking about is the paper around the edge not printed on? I put the border on everything. I have started to go borderless some years ago but got a message they may be over sprayed going borderless. So I simply go with the border and burry it in a picture frame. I have made frames just a bit small a few times and then simply trim the photo to fit the frame! I have done some shadow box's that would let the border show but after attaching the photo to a foam core back, I cut off the border with a sharp utility knife. Makes the photo and foam core back match up perfectly!

Don, you're rambling. And you might not be the only one.

I've notice that no one is adding a border to their photos on here, just wondering why that might be.
It's just personal taste. Or perhaps even laziness (why bother with an extra operation?). If I post an image online, I often add a border - it's a presentation that parallels a mounted print. But why worry - it's not the essence of the image itself - the main meaning (if there is any) is normally in the picture itself, not in how it's dressed.

Don, you're rambling. And you might not be the only one.

It's just personal taste. Or perhaps even laziness (why bother with an extra operation?). If I post an image online, I often add a border - it's a presentation that parallels a mounted print. But why worry - it's not the essence of the image itself - the main meaning (if there is any) is normally in the picture itself, not in how it's dressed.
For me it's like a vignette that draws attention to the subject. Please don't get me wrong, I have thousands of borderless images. When I do it at this point it really is more an esthetic choice. And I like working in PS.

For me it's like a vignette that draws attention to the subject.
You may not be far off in that.

There was a fashion, at the beginning of the 20th century, for thin black borders around pictures published in newspapers. When I was a trainee at a regional newspaper group (my first job) I asked one of the page makeup blokes about this. He claimed that it was because the old newsprint would "yellow" quite quickly. The "lead lines" around the pictures stopped them "bleeding out" as the contrast dropped.

I still don't know if that was true or he was indulging in the age old practice of filling the new boys with rubbish, to see how much they'd swallow! o_O

My personal opinion of borders on online forums,
is pretty much the same as over sized signatures / water marks. ( but the latter is a whole new subject)
It / they detract from what is being shown.

To me, it doesn't matter how good a photo is, if it has a border, I don't like it.
Takes your eye away from the subject and is like placing a dark cloud on the page

White borders are not so off-putting, they don't have the same funeral notice effect.

And I agree with the feelings about oversize signatures and watermarks, destroys the image and looks very amateurish.

I add a discreet name to mine, but no border.

Many years ago I used to add the black top/bottom 'cinematic' bars :) Remember that phase? :)

Actually, I do add a square 'canvas' on the phone, before I post to Instagram. That's because I usually post several images as a carousel and if I have vertical & horizontal images, obviously Instagram being Instagram makes that awkward. If they are all 'square' it works & looks better.

I add a simple 3px black border to my image, to define the edges of the view and keep the image constrained.
I like it. End of.

Why do people add that to post?
Its like adding FACT. after a statement, that is not necessarily true
It looks like a border to me, making that post the only one that matters.

I don't use borders on my uploaded photographs because of pixel use . . . I (and other folk I guess) pay for monitors so I prefer my photographs to occupy all the pixels available, heck my monitor screens all have borders anyway :)

Back