Adding a Tele converter

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
Just working it out. I have a Nikon D800 which can be set as a DX (x1.5mm ), Also have an AFS 80-400mm lens. So if I bought a times 1.7mm tele converter that would give me a max 1020mm range. Good thinking ??????

Last edited:
Get the 2x instead - makes the maths easier!!! ;) BTW, yes, if 400x1.5x1.7=1020.

Check which are compatible, Bazza. The 1.4 is, but not sure about the others.

Also, re the in-camera cropping, it should help slightly with the buffer, but I tried it when I got my D800E & comparing images from in-camera Vs editing later on the PC, there was nothing in it at all.
Also the benefit of keeping full frame was easier to re-frame & composition of the subject later for the final image.

Last edited:
I've got the TC-14EII and can't really discern any loss of quality with it, most reviews indicate that after that image quality can take a hit but I can't speak from experience.

As Carl points out, compatibility is an issue. Teleconverters lead to a loss of aperture; with a 1.4x you lose a stop whilst with 2.0x you lose 2 stops. Your lens will only be compatible with the 1.4x due to its aperture at the long end, as it will become a 560mm f8 with a 1.4x mounted, and the D800 won't autofocus anything smaller than f8 [i.e mounting a 2x would give an 800mm f11].

Last edited:
Thanks all for your replies. Ben it would still focus with a 2.0x manually wouldn't it? but I was only thinking of getting a 1.7x. I have been looking up compatibility . Some sites say yes and others say no so guess they only way to really find out is a hands on try

Last edited:
I would presume that both the 1.7 and 2.0 would allow manual focus, unless the body decides to throw a wobbly and think it's not allowed! I think the issue with the 1.7 is that it may allow autofocus up until the zoom point that the 80-400 changes to an f5.6 lens and then it won't play nicely. If you can get hold of one for a play that would obviously give you the answer.

... it would still focus with a 2.0x manually wouldn't it? but I was only thinking of getting a 1.7x. I have been looking up compatibility . Some sites say yes and others say no so guess they only way to really find out is a hands on try
No problem focusing manually, though the focus confirmation will only work in situations where the autofocus would also work.

It's hard to predict exactly what the camera will do with a 1.7x TC because Nikon themselves aren't very forthcoming. For some other manufacturers it's more straightforward because it's determined by the camera's firmware, and it's instructive to understand how they work because it sheds light on how Nikons work.

On Canon DSLRs, if the lens (or lens+TC combo) has a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or better, AF is guaranteed to work; from f/6.3 to f/8 it will work on pro bodies but not on consumer bodies; and below f/8 it won't work at all. If the maximum aperture is below f/5.6 or f/8, the firmware prevents the camera from even trying to autofocus because it wouldn't work very reliably.

Nikons are essentially the same, with the same limits of f/5.6 for consumer bodies and f/8 for pro bodies (including the D800), but in this case there isn't a firmware limiter. So below f/8 the camera may try to autofocus, and it may succeed if the light us good and the target is contrasty, but it will not work reliably.

With a 1.7x TC your lens will be 680mm f/9.5 at the long end. It will try to autofocus and it may sometimes succeed, but don't rely on it too much.

Thanks all for your replies. Ben it would still focus with a 2.0x manually wouldn't it? but I was only thinking of getting a 1.7x. I have been looking up compatibility . Some sites say yes and others say no so guess they only way to really find out is a hands on try

FWIW, this Nikon guide says "no" for the 80-400mm f/4-5.6.

Nikons are essentially the same, with the same limits of f/5.6 for consumer bodies and f/8 for pro bodies

Just for clarification, the D7100 and later are, thankfully, also in the ranks of the f/8 autofocus club.

Ignoring Autofocus issues, the limitation on the use of the Nikon TCs is a physical limitation. On all three Nikon TCs (x1.4, x1.7 & x2.0) the front element protrudes outside the body so if your main lens has an element close to the rear then physically they won't attach together....unless you want to smash some glass!
There is also a metal tab on the connection on the TCs that prevents connection to older pre AF-I lenses and to other teles. This can be machined or filed off and can then allow tele stacking. I've done this successfully for lunar photography. You can only tele stack the x1.7 onto the x2.0 or the x1.4 onto the x2.0 though due to the rear element being near the connection plate on the x1.7 and x1.4 (the same issue you get when connecting to standard lenses).

Certain lenses take the TCs well and don't offer much reduction in image quality if at all, unfortunately they tend to be most expensive lenses (300mm f2.8, 400mm f2.8 etc.). The older 300mm f4 AF-S does take the x1.4 TC very well, in fact my 1.4 was pretty much left on it when I had that lens making it a 400mm f5.6. I've also used it with the x1.7 TC but to lesser effect.
They all work great on my 300mm f2.8 VRI (x2.0 might offer slight image quality reduction but is a lot cheaper than a proper 600mm f5.6!).
They don't work so well on my 70-200 f2.8 VRII although others might say different, there was a definite reduction in image quality even with the x1.4 TC.

The majority of times though instead of going for the extra reach using a TC I will just crop the image in post processing on the D810. There is no advantage in using DX mode unless you want to bump up the frame rate.

If you go to the Nikon website, select the converter it will tell you what Nikon lenses it's compatible with. It will work fine with the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 there are plenty of very good examples on the web.

Back