Adding a zoom lens

Name
Ciaran
Edit My Images
Yes
At present, I'm running around with a D40 and the kit 18-55mm lens. Since buying the camera, I'd always intended upgrading at the longer lengths with the very popular Sigma 70-300mm APO (which is now motorised, always nice). However, I've seen several people recommending the Nikon 55-200mm (non-VR) lens which is now only £178 at Warehouse Express - so not substantially more expensive than the Sigma.

Does the extra 100mm really make an incredible difference - especially as I've heard criticism levelled at the Sigma for softening up considerably between 200-300mm? Optically, up to 200mm, which is the better lens? Also, does the macro function on the Sigma lens warrant getting that lens or would I be better off spending £40-£80 on an additional macro lens?

As a guide, I'd be looking to use it as a general purpose zoom lens if such a thing exists - a bit of nature photography, sports photography and just getting that extra bit of reach in all aspects of photography out-and-about.

There isn't a great deal of difference between 200 and 300mm in terms of zoom. If you have ever zoomed from 135 to 200mm its about the same difference to be honest.

Also, with any lens above 200mm I would say get something with VR or OS etc as it does help a lot especially if you're new to SLRs or if you're shooting in low lighting. For me, the VR system I have on 2 of my lens do go someway in compensating for the small max apertures they have.

I would recommend the Nikon 70-300VR over the Sigma. I have had both and at 300mm the VR really is something worth having. It is more expensive, but I think it is worth it.

Btw, Flash In The Pan has a few lenses for sale (last time I looked) in the classified section which may suit your needs.(y)

Thanks for the reply.

The 70-300VR is significantly out of my price range I'm afraid. There is no way I'd be able to push above £200 for the foreseeable future because I've also earmarked some cash for a tripod (obviously for before the zoom lens arrives!).

I looked at FITP's sale thread and the Sigma's have all gone and not sure the Tamron zoom lens is up to scratch for what I'm looking at - plus I'm greatly swayed by the AF option on the Sigma and Nikon lenses.

You could look at the second hand market as well, e.g. ebay or gumtree but you'll need to be careful and check that theres nothing wrong with them before handing over any cash. Alternatively you could post a wanted thread and see if anyone is willing to part with their lenses for a good price. Hope it helps!

budget?

Oh yeah, sorry. I really don't want to be looking upwards of £200. I was kinda hoping to find something in the price range of the 55-200mm (non VR) or 70-300mm Sigma. Have a few expenses elsewhere with filter purchases and a tripod.

Back