Adding spotlight on a background

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone help or advise how can achieve the effect of a spotlight and shadows on a background please? Something like the shot below which is from a FB Friend.

With the help of SK66 on here I've managed to add light rays to a similar photo but those were already made and downloaded from Google. I'd like to add the fading spotlight effect if that's at all possible.

Photo Background El Shek.jpg

Last edited:
Can anyone help or advise how can achieve the effect of a spotlight and shadows on a background please? Something like the shot below which is from a FB Friend.

With the help of SK66 on here I've managed to add light rays to a similar photo but those were already made and downloaded from Google. I'd like to add the fading spotlight effect if that's at all possible.

View attachment 385695
To create a shadow you need to add a DROP SHADOW to the layer that has the tree on it.
To add the spotlight to the background there is a lighting filter in the filters menu. However that filter has now been discontinued by Adobe and so doesn't work properly (depending on which version of photoshop you are using. Adobe recommend using Photoshop 22.2 if you need to use the filter)

To create a shadow you need to add a DROP SHADOW to the layer that has the tree on it.
To add the spotlight to the background there is a lighting filter in the filters menu. However that filter has now been discontinued by Adobe and so doesn't work properly (depending on which version of photoshop you are using. Adobe recommend using Photoshop 22.2 if you need to use the filter)
Thanks for the help, really appreciated.

Is there a way I can have the drop shadow on a separate layer at all? I'd like to blur and distort the shadow if possible.

Last edited:
Back