Additional lenses for Nikon D90

Edit My Images
Yes
I currently have the Nikon D90 with the 18-105mm kit lens.

I am interested in macro and landscape and wonder what other lenses I should look at acquiring. Any (Nikon) lens recommendations?

Purchased the 70-300 on here. Very good lens. Will be buying wide angle next for landscapes. Kit lens is good.

Agree with the above I have an older 70-300 and it's really handy for landscapes, compresses the view down nicely. Can be had for a nice price.

I'd also consider a 35mm prime, cheap and makes for a lightweight setup that can be carried in rucksack if you do any hiking and find the 18-105 a bit heavy.

dentonkarl / mattyb

Thanks for your replies, guys.

What would you expect to pay for a 70-300 secondhand?

Have a look at www.graysofwestminster.co.uk , they have the 70 - 300 AF ED D lenses (f4 - 5.6) from about £135 second hand and guaranteed for 12 months. I recently bought one from them and it was good. You would have to pay more than double that if you wanted a VR lens though.

By the way, I got the recommendation for that company on here and I certainly had no problems dealing with them.

Ernie

I got the older G series without VR and it's probably about £80-100 used. Am very happy with it, even works fullframe/35mm.

The newer one with VR seems to cost about 3-4 times as much. If you mostly shoot using a tripod then it's debatable whether the VR is worth it, not sure if Nikon made other changes which improved the image quality.

Thought a wide angle lens was more appropriate for landscapes? Unless you mean wildlife?

I think it depends on what you're snapping, I don't own a real wide-angle but would like to. I find it's quite handy to have a long zoom to focus in on a smaller area of interest in the landscape.

I can recommend the 60mm AFD Nikon Marco, really good sharp lens and a good price 2nd hand. You don't say what sort of macro you are doing, but its a great general purpose lens (working distance a bit short for insects).

If that is the case a 50-150 Sigma :) No VR but 2.8 constant aperture, at a push you could even use it as a walkabout lens.

If it is wide angle then I can vouch for the 10-24 Tamron and the 12-24 Nikon (just got it and it nice image quality and very fast AF)

I think you should consider how the 18-105 limits you more than anything. Lack of sharpness? Lack of reach beyond 105mm? Macro is easier, if you are serious about it then a Nikon Micro-Nikkor is the way to go. As for landscapes, how is the 18-105 limiting you in that respect?

Have a look at www.graysofwestminster.co.uk , they have the 70 - 300 AF ED D lenses (f4 - 5.6) from about £135 second hand and guaranteed for 12 months. I recently bought one from them and it was good. You would have to pay more than double that if you wanted a VR lens though.
By the way, I got the recommendation for that company on here and I certainly had no problems dealing with them.
Ernie

Thanks for the link. I would prefer one with VR though I think. How sharp is this lens?

I can recommend the 60mm AFD Nikon Marco, really good sharp lens and a good price 2nd hand. You don't say what sort of macro you are doing, but its a great general purpose lens (working distance a bit short for insects).
Kaolin

Well, to be honest I already have the 60mm Nikkor macro (not the AF version), but I have a problem with DOF. I would be interested to know whether it's a feature of this lens or whether it's the way I'm using it. Do you get the same problem with the 105mm Nikon macro?

I think you should consider how the 18-105 limits you more than anything. Lack of sharpness? Lack of reach beyond 105mm? Macro is easier, if you are serious about it then a Nikon Micro-Nikkor is the way to go. As for landscapes, how is the 18-105 limiting you in that respect?
freecom2

Good question. I'm not so interested in wide angle, more greater reach for landscape. For macro, I'm looking for something to use for flowers mainly and bugs.

Thanks all for your helpful suggestions and questions. It's helping me to narrow things down.

Back