Adjusting exposure values for coloured filter - none TTL metering

Edit My Images
Yes
Apologies for multiple threads regarding my new Olympus 35 SP - I thought that it might help from an archiving and forum search perspective re the different queries.

Anyway, I am used to TTL which of course automatically makes an allowance for a coloured filter being used.

With the 35 SP the meter window is on the body so adjustments have to be made manually for this.

Ive done a few google searches that seem to indicate that the Y-52 yellow filter I like needs at least a full F stop adjustment. One thread suggested when using ASA400 film the meter being set to ASA200.

Does this sound right?

I am aware that a degree of experimentation might be needed of course.

1 stop for yellow, two for orange, and probably 3 for red

I use my DSLR and a macro lens on spot metering to check each filter.

My yellow filter, exactly the same as yours, is 1 stop.

My orange filter of same make is 1 1/3 stops.

And yes, drop the iso by the required amount.

Thanks folks!

I aim to be out and about with it tomorrow - will be using the Y-52 and the meter set to ASA200 using Ilford HP5

Have you checked the meter against a know accurate one?

I ask because it can vary depending on the batteries used.

The original batteries are no longer available and there are various alternatives.

Sorry to give you something else to worry about.

No, I havent been able to do that.

The camera (bought from Trip Man) came with a Duracell 625A fitted but checking the quoted power output I noted that it was 1.5 volts whilst the original, now obsolete, battery was 1.3V. I have fitted a Wein cell which is quoted as being 1.3V so I am hoping that the meter will be functioning within original parameters.

Hey - no worries! I'm grateful that you took the time to think about this and post some advice and suggestions!

Quite often it's a case of trying and seeing what the results are.
Meter cells change over time, as do shutter speeds.

Thanks.

I guessed that I would have to experiment a bit - its just good to have a sensible starting point!

There's a fair bit of latitude for black and white film, so you may well get away with it if you forget to change the ISO when changing filters!

Back