Adjusting in camera sharpening

Edit My Images
Yes
Really stupid question- and without rummaging around for my manual first, how does one adjust in camera sharpening- and is there a rule of thumb for how much you can do it or is it best just to take lots of test shots?

It's really down to your personal preference, so experiment.

Remember it only works if you shoot jpeg.

Look in your camera menu. I don't use Canon but mine has a 'sharpness' option, ranging from 'off' up to 'hard'.

It's in Picture Styles. +3 is standard setting.

Remember that it is not making the lens any sharper, just fiddling with edge contrast to make it look sharper. It works very well but looks weird if you crank it up too high. But as said, it doesn't apply to Raw files so you can always change it in post processing.

Thanks, I know the preset (portait, landscape etc) adjust sharpening but they also adjust the colour etc if I am correct, I'd just like to knock the sharpening up a notch as everything is fairly soft at the mo, and I am using some half decent glass, just experimenting really.

IMO, each and every shot probably needs a slightly different sharpening setting so is best left to PP rather than doing it in camera. UNLESS you're shooting and planning to print direct from the camera without going through a computer, in which case it's a matter of taking loads of test shots and doing loads of test prints until you find the best compromise setting.

It's really down to your personal preference, so experiment.

Remember it only works if you shoot jpeg.

Not according to this thread (which is talking about the 50D, but applies to the Picture Styles settings of other Eos cameras), particularly the bit that says "It's true what you say - the Picture Style settings do appear to be embedded in the RAW files with DPP along with any sharpening in that setting, so it's something you need to be aware of."

Not according to this thread (which is talking about the 50D, but applies to the Picture Styles settings of other Eos cameras), particularly the bit that says "It's true what you say - the Picture Style settings do appear to be embedded in the RAW files with DPP along with any sharpening in that setting, so it's something you need to be aware of."

I think that quote from CT needs to read in the context of the whole thread. CT knows what he's talking about and when he says Picture Styles are embedded in the Raw I think he means merely tagged to it. That thread is rather more about other settings that do permanently affect the Raw data, but Picture Styles are not amongst them.

They are tagged to the image and DPP picks them up as a starting point for processing the Raw file, but you can still overwrite them, delete them, change them or do whatever you like. There would be no point in having a Raw processor if it was all locked in-camera anyway.

Fair enough. I'm aware that CT is an expert, just thought that when he said 'embedded' he meant embedded as in irreversible.

Back