Admins & Mods.

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
No
I used to be an Admin on another site not long ago (Satellite Broadband) and every other day had to either warn or ban someone for personal insults and bad language. It was an @rse really with nut cases emailing me threatening to rip me apart. If only in their dreams..:LOL: Sadly the forum has shut down now due to conventional ADSL being the norm.:(

This forum seems like a breath of fresh air with the team just tidying up threads here and there..:)

Other than Kate, has or is anyone else currently a moderator or admin on any other sites we may know about..:cautious:

Tell us about your experiences back scenes..:clap:

i used to mod on a car forum(www.fordmondeo.org) hours of fun there, not that much banning or anything like that to be done, plenty of post moving to do though, some people just cant post in the right place!

If I told you, I'd have to shoot you :p I'm quite enjoying my retirement to be honest. I enjoyed it whilst it lasted, but it took up far too much of my time and I've chilled out one hell of a lot now I've given it up :)

Kate said:
I've chilled out one hell of a lot now I've given it up :)

Hell I didnt know you had given up the modding job Kate..:eek:

busterboy said:
Hell I didnt know you had given up the modding job Kate..:eek:
Lol, not many have noticed to be honest :) Didn't want to make a fuss. Just retired quietly... ooooh... well over 2 months ago now.

Marianne said:
but its very quiet on there and nothing much needs dealing with....it needs livening up a bit if the truth be known!

Let me join, I can be your worst nightmare Marianne..:LOL:

I'm co-administrator with Martin Henson (to help out with the technical side of things) on his digital monochrome forum and 'team' member (with admin rights) on another photography forum which is more aimed at beginners.

It would be unethical for me to post links due to their similarity but I keep them seperate from my involvement here.

Buster...I also frequent an internet provider advice forum that made the mistake of adding a general discussion forum and even a pub politics section.
Like a bunch of hyenas at times and with only 2 admin who are seldom there and 1 moderator who is scarcely there.

well, lets see

OCuk........yup, been there done that
Digital darkroom......yup, been there too
The photographyforum......yup.....rip
This place.......yup......i ain't been sacked yet

Been in positions of trust on a couple of motoring forums too, as my spanner throwing abilities are better than my interweb ones :)

Bachs said:
Buster...I also frequent an internet provider advice forum that made the mistake of adding a general discussion forum and even a pub politics section.

Quite right Bachs. General discussion forums are a magnet for trouble, Whatever subject gets posted someone always starts a riot and hell breaks loose..:wacky:

busterboy said:
I used to be an Admin on another site not long ago (Satellite Broadband) and every other day had to either warn or ban someone for personal insults and bad language. It was an @rse really with nut cases emailing me threatening to rip me apart. If only in their dreams..:LOL: Sadly the forum has shut down now due to conventional ADSL being the norm.:(

This forum seems like a breath of fresh air with the team just tidying up threads here and there..:)

Other than Kate, has or is anyone else currently a moderator or admin on any other sites we may know about..:cautious:

Tell us about your experiences back scenes..:clap:

i used to be a mod on a music forum for a local scene, unfortunately a girl i was going out with was good friends with another moderator, and when we split up she got her friend drunk and used her account to alter my account, changing all my personal info etc to offensive and rude stuff (aparently one of my hobbies was "not being very good in bed"..) so i obviously contacted the admin who said "what do you expect me to do about it" (the admin fancied the brains out of my ex and would do anything to split us up...) so i told him to stick his currupt moderation team so far up his arse he choked on it.........

i still post on that forum but the moderation team has completely changed bar the admin and another moderator who was always imparsial

i got a few death threats from a band for saying they were **** talentless fret ****ers....

I'm a semi retired mod on a tech/hardware site. I still pop in occasionally although I haven't been active in PC modding and overclocking for probably a year or so. Still do some of the marketing stuff behind the scenes for them.

digitalfailure said:
well, lets see

OCuk........yup, been there done that
Digital darkroom......yup, been there too
The photographyforum......yup.....rip
This place.......yup......i ain't been sacked yet

Your a bit of a hussey mate...:LOL:

I've been moderating and administrating forums on and off for around 7 years now.

I started over on stratics as a moderator for their UO forums (for those not in the know UO is amongst the first of the current crop of MMORPGS) firstly on a skill specific forum and then onto what was the busiest general forum I have ever come across - even to this day.

From there I was taken on as lead forum moderator and then forum admin for Neverwinter Nights Stratics as well as taking a role as a channel OP on numerous stratics IRC channels.

I stepped down from stratics a couple of years ago as it was really taking all of my time - and not just at home. I was so busy with stratics stuff that I used to do it from work as well.

I've been a mod on various guild forums since then but nothing on so large a scale as stratics.

Currently I am a senior mod on our work forums I work for CCL as most of you know) and am still a moderator on forumanything.co.uk but both take up very little of my time these days.

Would I do it again?

Probably not on so large a scale - at the time Stratics was getting thousands of posts a day across its various forums - but on a smaller scale, probably yes if it was somewhere I was active.

hes too polite to say no

Yeah on a couple of car forums, but I got sick and tired of the abuse and downright childishness of some of the members

Won't be doing it again in a hurry either

This place is no hassle whatsoever to mod - and why should it be when we all have a common interest and pursuit - what on earth is there to fall out over? You could say the same about car boards of course, but I've turned down modding jobs on two of those - I could have more fun sticking pins in my eyes. :puke:

I am a mod on 5ive-O, but haven't posted there in a while so I'm expecting to be sacked fairly soon. :shrug:

its funny, but since the name change to talk photography the amount of modding we have had to do has dropped dramatically, no more 'granny' edits or image size...cant remember the last time anyone posted in mod room pointing out yet another missed oversized image!

used to be a mod on Scoobynet, a forum for mad deranged subaru owners ! of which i have had 3! so guess that makes me mad and deranged ! lol they have 59000 members now, with a very high signal to noise ratio, and far more crap gets posted by chavs now than it did when i was there ! Was a full time job even then !

matty said:
its funny, but since the name change to talk photography the amount of modding we have had to do has dropped dramatically, no more 'granny' edits or image size...cant remember the last time anyone posted in mod room pointing out yet another missed oversized image!

aye, it's getting beyond a joke now. :(

I'm going to ban someone out of boredom soon i think :clap:

digitalfailure said:
aye, it's getting beyond a joke now. :(

I'm going to ban someone out of boredom soon i think :clap:

Outrageous :razz: :nono: :LOL:

I run 2 websites currently.

1. www.socomcodes.com - over 23,000 members and still growing.. that site is the worst site ever. The members are arse-holes and the site has gone down the drain. Please don't visit, it's seriously internet hell. (Take note that there's about 1,000 banned members on this site)

2. www.socomscene.net - Over 1,500 members in less than 2 weeks of being up? Yea baby.

matty said:
i used to mod on a car forum(www.fordmondeo.org) hours of fun there, not that much banning or anything like that to be done, plenty of post moving to do though, some people just cant post in the right place!
It's still the same, we've even recently aquired a 13 yr old member who "regularly drives his very own Ford Focus to school", he is rapidly upsetting everyone with the drivel he comes out with. He has been banned from becoming a paying member which would give more access.

I'm a 'moderator' (IRCop) in an IRC chatroom, which is the same only in realtime.

Its not often that I have to ban people - mostly its just a ban following a kick when I know they've got auto-rejoin set and will come straight back, so I ban them for five minutes just to make sure the point hits home.

Sometimes I've banned people for 24 hours - usually for breaking major rules such as 'flaming' or being generally offensive.

I've only ever put one permanent ban in place for somebody for reeling off a couple of sick jokes about dead babies. That was about 18 months ago and the rest of the moderators have only recently agreed to lift the ban, and made the "banee" aware of the fact that he's skating on very thin ice and will be banned again at the first whif of trouble.

The last person I banned was a couple of days ago - someone trolling with pro-terrorist remarks. Not the kind of thing we want in a chatroom where people of all ages are welcome.

I've been a mod and/or admin on six or seven, mostly small, sites. A couple being a similar size to this and one much larger.

On one site I foolishly put in far more hours than I did with my business at the time. All I got in return was grief, insults and threats. And that was just from the mod team :p

I would implement the owner's wishes precisely as they wanted and took the ensuing grief yet when I left, I was portrayed as the overly harsh admin and the owner was all cuddly after all :puke:

Kate said:
If I told you, I'd have to shoot you :p I'm quite enjoying my retirement to be honest. I enjoyed it whilst it lasted, but it took up far too much of my time and I've chilled out one hell of a lot now I've given it up :)
I could have written that.

Kate said:

Oh how right you are there Kate.

It really doesn't hit you how much time it takes, until you leave does it?
I too have become quite chilled in the way I deal with things.

I started off my mod life at OcUK, which for all intents and purposes, taught me alot about modding forums, especially busy ones.
Then from there went onto DD, then here.

I'm also a moderator over at www.raisingkids.co.uk forums (see? I'm a full time dad too :D)

well...

I'm administrator of 3 sites in Mexico:

Official Renault Clio Club:
www.clioclub.com.mx

Lots of users, lots of problems, but, we have lots of moderators too.
We are 2 admins, 1 main programer and we have like 15-20 moderators, for different sections.

Smart Club México (Smart Cars):
www.smartclub.com.mx
I'm Admin with other 2 guys, but I just help them with the start and I'm more like an Honorary Admin, just helping in some things, and we have a pair of mods there.

And my new hobbie, I started a few months ago, a photograpy forum, in spanish, for latin people with a friend. It's going very well:

www.forografia.com

this could be the spanish of "photoforum" jeje

We are two admins and 1 mod, but we are just starting, now we have 200 users, from around the latin countrys.

I've never been one.

To be honest not sure i would want to be anyway, been a member on Vectra-sport.com for about 7 years and also vvoc.com and seeing some of the petty arguments that ensue i wouldn't want to have to be in the middle of that as a mod.

Although the BMW forums i am on are very civilised just like here

Not me, not ever.
Honestly, can any of you who know me imagine me as a Mod? I'd just ban everyone who disagreed with me in any way whatsoever and then shoot them, their families and their pets for good measure...

Arkady said:
Not me, not ever.
Honestly, can any of you who know me imagine me as a Mod? I'd just ban everyone who disagreed with me in any way whatsoever and then shoot them, their families and their pets for good measure...

Scarily enough, I know someone like that :cautious: Good job he doesn't have access to a gun :p

Actually....you sound like a lovely candidate, wanna job?

2blue4u said:
I've been a mod and/or admin on six or seven, mostly small, sites. A couple being a similar size to this and one much larger.

On one site I foolishly put in far more hours than I did with my business at the time. All I got in return was grief, insults and threats. And that was just from the mod team :p

I would implement the owner's wishes precisely as they wanted and took the ensuing grief yet when I left, I was portrayed as the overly harsh admin and the owner was all cuddly after all :puke:

Blue........I have no idea about where or what your on about :thinking:

:LOL:

hahahah yeah, Right. Any pictures of pets (ever!). Stop Now! This is ****! Sell your cameras and hide in the cupboard now!
Cheesy 'Portraits' of kids in paddling pools - Stop! You're turning into Gary Glitter!
No-one would ever post their pix there after the first couple of rants...

Marcel said:
Oh how right you are there Kate.

It really doesn't hit you how much time it takes, until you leave does it?
Absolutely. I'm so much happier just minding my own business and being a regular Joe :) A lot less wound up too. It's really nice just being able to read selective posts when you want to, rather than feeling that you have to. And now of course, I have lots of time to browse other forums :D It's great!

Kate said:
Absolutely. I'm so much happier just minding my own business and being a regular Joe :) A lot less wound up too. It's really nice just being able to read selective posts when you want to, rather than feeling that you have to. And now of course, I have lots of time to browse other forums :D It's great!

Come on Kate... You will be telling us your human soon..:razz:

:D

Back