Adobe CC - Stopping the direct debit

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Not been using my camera enough lately to justify paying nigh on £12 a month. Only use LR and nothing else.

If I cancel the DD, what happens ?

I believe the developement function of LR stops, but the catalog remains intact.

If I decide to reinstate the DD or similar, whats the score?

Appreciate I could deep dive Adobe's website, but CBA lol.....

Like any subscription it pays to check if you are on a month by month membership, or a 12 month membership paid in twelve installments. If the latter they can legitimately reinstate a new DD, or pursue you via solicitors (or ultimately via the courts) for missed payments and costs of Collection.

For 10 minutes finding a signup email or making a phone call you can save a world of pain.

Not been using my camera enough lately to justify paying nigh on £12 a month. Only use LR and nothing else.

I believe the developement function of LR stops, but the catalog remains intact.

Check the Ts and Cs.

As I understand it all subscriptions to LR are annual - even if you pay monthly.

And based on that if you cancel before the year is up then you are charged for half the remaining period of the 12 months.

And at the end of the 12 month period you roll over into a new 12 month period.

I believe in the UK you can cancel with 14 days after the start of a new 12 month period because UK consumer legislation treats it the same as something like an insurance or finance agreement andso there is a 'cooling off' period.

AFAIK Adobe CC contract is a rolling 12 month contract. Make sure you know, when the 12 months expires, before ending the subscription.

Yes. But they will just be like any old files still on a floppy disk or CD-R that can't be opened, because the old software is no longer installed on the computer. The LR Catalog will just become another file wasting storage space on the hard drive, like with any other junk files. For as long as you are not paying Adobe, you may not be able to open that file, or could open it but can't use it much.

Your photographs however will be untouched. You just go directly to your Windows (or MacOS) folders and access them, like you would access any other files. You'll be able to access your own photo files without LR.

Once you start paying again, you will be able to use LR, then you will be able to use the Catalog file again. Surely as if you managed to re-install that old software for your old files.

Again, check with Adobe, but I'm pretty sure that LR still works, except for the develop and map modules, i.e. you can still import, organise, export, etc.

I was having a problem with my PayPal and they couldn't take the payment, they just sent me a couple of emails and then cancelled my membership. Once it was sorted i logged into Adobe, clicked update payment info and now i'm back.

Yes. But they will just be like any old files still on a floppy disk or CD-R that can't be opened, because the old software is no longer installed on the computer. The LR Catalog will just become another file wasting storage space on the hard drive, like with any other junk files. For as long as you are not paying Adobe, you may not be able to open that file, or could open it but can't use it much.

Your photographs however will be untouched. You just go directly to your Windows (or MacOS) folders and access them, like you would access any other files. You'll be able to access your own photo files without LR.

Once you start paying again, you will be able to use LR, then you will be able to use the Catalog file again. Surely as if you managed to re-install that old software for your old files.

Is this really the case? I thought you are still able to access all the DAM features in Library etc?

Last edited:
Last I checked the Develop module, map module and synch between Classic and mobile part of it is disabled and stops working. You still have full access and use of the catalog and the features in Library module. You can still editing your images in the quick develop part of library. Like said above, you might be holding to a 12 month contract and have to pay part of that. If month to month you can cancel anytime. Check what plan you are on.

Is this really the case? I thought you are still able to access all the DAM features in Library etc?
You are. Only Develop module, map module and synch between Classic and mobile part of it is disabled and stops working. This was at 2 weeks ago.

Absolutely not the case.
I’ll dig out a post stating what you can do with Lightroom unlicensed.

Check the Ts and Cs.

As I understand it all subscriptions to LR are annual - even if you pay monthly.

And based on that if you cancel before the year is up then you are charged for half the remaining period of the 12 months.

And at the end of the 12 month period you roll over into a new 12 month period.

I believe in the UK you can cancel with 14 days after the start of a new 12 month period because UK consumer legislation treats it the same as something like an insurance or finance agreement andso there is a 'cooling off' period.
Unless Adobe are flouting the law, that's not the case (or it wasn't when I tried to cancel a couple of years ago). According to Adobe, the 14 days cooling off period only applies when you first sign up. On an automatic renewal, the penalties apply (i.e. have to pay half the remainder of the year) the day the annual period renews. It's one of the reasons I eventually ditched Adobe completely, as the info they'd sent me strongly suggested that what you said was the case :(

Nope that is wrong, all your edits will be available and you are still able to perform basic edits within the Library module using Quick Develop... You only lose the develop and map module, you can even continue to use the excellent print module, oh of course you do not get any updates.

Cheers guys, I may just let it drift along for now. I do miss the chance of buying a standalone version though.

Back