Adobe Lightroom Files when resetting Macbook

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

According to Apple, I can have a free screen replacement on my Macbook as it was a part of a batch with an issue with the screen coating - so I have to send it off for a few days.

I have done a time-machine back-up. I just wanted to know, will this back-up my LR catalogue and all files/edits? Or is there another step I need to take.

Thanks,

Tom

If it's a full backup - you'll get a full restore :)

You are covered but just to be sure I would make a copy of the important LR catalogue files and data files, a memory stick will be fine for this.

Test the Time Machine back-up are you able to restore a file from it? Not very thorough or scientific, but worth doing.

To cover yourself ... I'd get a cheep USB drive and do a second backup via something like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.

PS, I do have all original RAW's and JPEGS saved externally anyway (they don't fit on my mac hard drive). It's just the imported edited versions I don't want to lose.

Any idea how you do this?

Simply locate your *.lrcat file, there will be a few data files along with it, I am away from my main computer at the the moment so cannot be more specific as to location of the top of my head, highlight these (I believe you really only need the *.lrcat file as the others will be rebuilt), press cmd - C, navigate to the usb stick create a folder and press cmd - V. Using the cmd - C, cmd - V shortcuts will ensure that the original files do not move and are simply copied.

I am sure someone will be along to advise you of the location of these files, they aren't hidden away...

As long as your current install is referencing the files on your external, a new install will still do so if you use the saved *.lrcat file...

Last edited:
Simply locate your *.lrcat file, there will be a few data files along with it, I am away from my main computer at the the moment so cannot be more specific as to location of the top of my head, highlight these (I believe you really only need the *.lrcat file as the others will be rebuilt), press cmd - C, navigate to the usb stick create a folder and press cmd - V. Using the cmd - C, cmd - V shortcuts will ensure that the original files do not move and are simply copied.

I am sure someone will be along to advise you of the location of these files, they aren't hidden away...

As long as your current install is referencing the files on your external, a new install will still do so if you use the saved *.lrcat file...

Cheers, will have a look at that.

My guess is that a Time Machine back-up would definitely include that file as well. I have two copies of my TM back-up.

your TM backup does cover you but I am a bit over-cautious so I normally backup the catalogue separately too.

It's not just the lrcat.

I'm assuming this is similar for Macs (Win user here) but Users>YourName>App Data>Roaming>Adobe>Lightroom. contains preference data - which is all your presets (unless you switched from the default to "store presets with catalogue"), your print templates, your export presets, and I think other things like custom colour label settings.
Then there's any custom dng profiles (unlikely for a normal user), and some presets come with a bunch of "camera settings" which are stored in the raw profiles. It's buried under AppData for CameraRaw. Not sure where right now.

I don't know if TM does all this, but if you're looking for specific things to keep an eye on, there are other bits outside of the lrcat file.
Hope this helps!

I don't know if TM does all this, but if you're looking for specific things to keep an eye on, there are other bits outside of the lrcat file.
Hope this helps!

Yes, TM backs up EVERYTHING on the Mac, but, as you say, it is these other files that a lot of people forget.

Whenever I add new presets, etc I always make a full copy of the (User) Library | Application Support | Adobe | Lightroom, directory, which is basically all the settings for Lightroom. It only takes a couple of seconds to copy it to a USB stick or another location on the HD as a backup.

Yes, TM backs up everything, unless when setting it up you specifically excluded any files or folders. If you are running Windows via Boot Camp that volume wouldn't be backed up. Never put all your faith in TM, I've seen the odd problem when restoring. Also use CCC to another HD, it has a free trial for 30 days.Theoretically your drive contents should be safe during repair, but don't chance it.

Apple cover the replacement of MBPr 13" and 15" displays for up to 4 years from the original DOP for AR coating issues. The replacements can be undertaken by an Apple Store or AASP.

Back