Adsl modem recommendations

Name
Allan
Edit My Images
No
At the moment I have an all in one wireless adsl modem router ( Belkin) and want a separate 802.11n wireless router and separate modem.
I have a router in mind, but have no idea what modem to get.
Any recommendations? The router will be either Belkin or Netgear.

Allan

Are you saying you want two modems feeding off the same phone line?

No, I am buying an 802.11n wireless router without a modem and want a good modem to go with it. ( I wont be using the other modem router)

Allan

oh and if youre using DHCP on the new wireless AP then remember to turn off the DHCP on the belkin. remember to have IP addresses in the same range for both devices, link with CAT5.. job done :)

I wasn't sure if I could keep the Belkin but that seems easy enough, and cheaper!
Thanks
Allan

Personally, i'd avoid Belkin like the plague for networking equipment, Netgear are fine, other brands worth a look include Linksys and D-Link.

Is there a particular reason you're switching to separate units rather than a singular modem router?

Personally, i'd avoid Belkin like the plague for networking equipment, Netgear are fine, other brands worth a look include Linksys and D-Link.

Is there a particular reason you're switching to separate units rather than a singular modem router?

I have an iMac with 802.11n built in and I wanted to utilise this. Also, I need a better signal / range as there are 5 computers vying for the internet here, I thought something like a D Link Rangebooster would better suit my needs. Also, cost is an issue and if I can get the wireless router version and use my modem ( wireless turned off) I will save a few quid. Replacements will be a little cheaper too! A modem's a modem ( within reason) , but the wireless technology seems to change regularly, it seems a waste to change the lot just because one part is playing up.

I've had Netgear D link and Linksys routers before, they never seemed to be as reliable as the Belkin I have at the moment, but I am not fussy what make I use as a replacement.

Allan

There's also the option of the Apple routers, they've got a strong line up at the moment.

Well, I finally got a Netgear Rangemax Duo Wireless N WNDR3300. Pretty impressive, but the first thing you have to do is turn the UFO lights off on top of it!
I have linked it via cat5 to my old Netgear DG834g modem router and disabled wireless as suggested by Neil_g
Everything seems to work ok, even my wireless print server ( netgear) and wireless printer, iPhones and laptops. Great stuff.
I just need to work out what WPA is and how to change from WEP to WPA-PSK
:thinking:

Allan

Back