Advanced compacts, which would you choose?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
The reason for this post is that I have a bit of a quandary. I love photography and all the stuff that goes with it. The thing is that I spend a vast amount of time wondering what lens to get next etc which does bug me. I am constantly wondering if a decent compact would do the trick. I have got a Panasonic LX100 which to be honest is pretty brilliant, especially for black and white street photography which is my main passion. I would like a better compact and have been looking at larger sensor compacts.

Now...... the Canon G1X Mk3. A rare beast as it is one of the very few APS-C compacts with a zoom. On paper it looks damn good but at £1149 it is a bit mad in the cost department. Saying that there are other fixed lens cameras at a similar price like the Fuji X100f.

So which advanced compact would you buy for a main camera?

Sports and wildlife shooters need not apply:D

I have a Panasonic TZ100 which is a long zoom range 1" compact camera. It's not shirt pocketable for me (but it is for some on the forum) but certainly coat pocketable. The mage quality is a bit behind MFT.

To be honest I've always been nervous about spending a lot of money on fixed lens cameras as if they get dust contamination it's much more of a problem than it is with something like a Panny GX80 with a compact prime or even a compact zoom. A GX80 with the tiny 14-42mm Mega OIS or a compact prime like the Oly 17mm f1.8 is bigger than a TZ100 and doesn't offer the zoom range but does offer more image quality in a larger package but if you're not looking to put a camera in a shirt or trouser pocket maybe the additional bulk isn't a deal breaker.

I wouldn't have a compact as an only camera but often take just a compact when I CBA to lug even the X series Fuji kit around. If I'm after pocketability, I take the Panny TZ100 (which does just fit in a shirt pocket!) otherwise I take a Fuji X-30. I've been tempted by an X-100 but the single focal length is (for me) far too limiting - I'd rather carry an X series body with a prime than have another £1200 or so tied up!

So no one fancies the Canon G1X Mk3 then? :D

It's too expensive for me although judging by the quality of the results I get from my original G1 it 'might' be worth it. I went to a Sony RX100 3 which is smaller and faster but in no way matches the G1 quality wise especially at high ISO. There's still it seems no alternative to a bigger sensor.

Just been reading about the G1 and it sounds good, need to read and see more though

Back