Advice after first location shoot

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
A friend of mine is a drummer in a up and coming band and asked me to do a few promo shots for the band that they could use on flyers, websites etc. I happily agreed as it would be a great learning curve for me and they werent expecting anything great as they know im relatively inexperienced.

I was shooting with a Nikon D90, and a few lenses including a 50mm f1.8 prime, Sigma 24-135 f2.8-4.5 and also used a flash gun mounted on the camera. It was late afternoon so quote dark and gloomy, mainly grey overcast with no sun.

My issue is that alot of shots turned out quote soft, some very soft, especially the ones took with the zoom lens. The 50mm prime set at f1.8 did produce better quality shots by itself and with the flash on.

What would great soft images, is it a mixture of shooting in low light with no flash and incorrect setting choices by me?

Luckily I know that the band wanted some heavy PP done to create artistic shots along with some mono shots so a fair few were usable. Here's a link to a thread ive started in the critique section with some of the results: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=288728

I can post up some of the original images if needed in order to give comment.

Last edited:
Back