Advice and options please..,

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone, I'm coming into a little money soon and am looking to expand my gear.

I currently have a Canon 450D, 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS, 50mm f1.8 and a 80-200mm f4-5.6.

I'll have in the range of £1k-£1300.

This isn't my main income and I currently shoot most genres for fun. I get paid for the odd wedding and portrait session and also shoot the local roller derby team along with a few live music gigs here and there.

I'm pretty much settled on a used or grey import 7D mainly due to the higher fps and better ISO performance. I would use this as my main body and keep the 450D as my 2nd and probably leave the 50mm on that for wedding.

My dilemma that's tying me in knots is which lens to couple with this. Initially I was going to try and save for the 24-70L 2.8 but I'm pretty sure that's now out of reach.

So I'm now considering the 24-105 f4 L I'm sure this would be a massive improvement over what I currently have but then I started reading all kinds of reviews and trying to work out how to get the best value and improve the quality of the shots I'm already taking.

How about upgrading my 50mm to the 1.4 and then adding the 100mm f2 to it I think these would add up to the same price as the 24-105?

My other issue is I read everywhere that you should always ALWAYS upgrade glass first so should I forget the 7D and just get the 24-70L?

Sorry for the long post but I'm going round in circles trying to get the best bang for buck.

Help please...

Scott.

Ok...

I'd normally agree with the lenses first view and if going for a standard-ish zoom on an APS-C camera I personally would go for an APS-C lens rather than a big fat FF lens, and I'd go for a f2.8 rather than an f4. So for me it'd be a quality 17-50mm f2.8 and I'd possibly look at the longer zoom too. Actually I probably wouldn't, I'd probably buy some nice fast primes but that's just me.

Body wise it's a bit contentious to question 7D image quality but it has been done especially the higher ISO's so personally if sticking with APS-C unless the clever AF system is needed I'd pass and go for a 60D.

As the owner of a 7D I would question those who say image quality suffers at higher ISO's. In my experience the image quality holds up very well when compared against any other Canon body I have owned including the 60D.

I also have the 24-105 and it is a cracking lens. Not quite as fast as the 2.8 24-70 but a lot cheaper and with more reach.

As the owner of a 7D I would question those who say image quality suffers at higher ISO's.

I've never owned or tried one and I know it's dangerous to believe stuff you read on the net... but several reviews I've read have mentioned relatively poor perfoirmance at higher ISO's which was slightly improved on with the 60D and whatever the later xxxD model is. Anyone interested should Google.

Often it is better to upgrade glass first, but not always to full frame glass if shooting on crop bodies. FF glass is always heavier, bigger and (usually) more expensive!

The 450D & 7D are crop bodies (I think - I shoot Nikon so ...) so with that in mind I'd get a 17-50/17-55 f2.8 for one body. Maybe get a good used copy of one of them, leaves more money for other glass and most often you will back near what you paid if and when you come to sell. The other reason to get a 17-50/55 is that the 24-70 or 24-105 may not be wide enough (definitely wouldn't be for me) ...

Can't really comment on the IQ from the 7D as I haven't shot with one.

You could probably get a decent Tamron 17-50 f2.8 (non VC) fro around £250 I would think, that would leave plenty for either the D7 and another lens, say an 85mm, or a really nice lens like a 70-200 (prob non IS), and yep, I know I suggested not to get full frame glass but this is an incredibly useful zoom range on crop as well as FF (well to me anyway). Another option would be to get an wide angle zoom as well, I believe the Sigma 10-24 is good, I know the Canon one is as I've used one previously.

Would you plan on keeping the 18-55 and 80-200 as well or selling them to increase funds?

Thanks for replies.

I was looking at the 7D over the 60D due to the faster fps and also it's weather sealed where as I believe the 60D is not. (50D was so go figure).

I was hoping the ISO performance would be miles ahead on the maximum 1600 of the 450D which is very very noisy and that this would maybe counter the benefits of the f2.8 over the f4

The Canon 17-55 2.8 gets amazing reviews but goes for £500+ 2nd hand which

I'd only sell the lenses I have if replacing them with something of better quality in the same focal range.

Depending on the cost of car repairs (something always goes wrong when I'm about to buy camera gear) it may leave me with the tough choice or lens or body.

In your opinions what would I get the greatest benefits from?
7D and my current lenses or my 450D and a 17-55 2.8 to replace my kit lens and then save like hell for the body.

I've also seen that a 7DII or 70D may be announced on 22nd March which could maybe drive prices of the 7D down.

Thanks for your help.
Scott

The 17-55mm seems favourite, but think you might find it a bit unbalanced on your current body, it's a fairly weighty lump.

I would personally sell the 18-55 and 80-200 and go for the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and look at either Canon 70-200 f4 or Tamron/sigma 70-200 2.8

Hi Scott, as you're planning to stay with a crop sensor body you might want to check out the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 too, a very good quality lens for less outlay than the Canon equivalent. Might help stretch your budget. Cheers Graeme

I dont think the 24-105L would be a massive improvement, mainly as you will loose quite a bit off the wide end. Even 15mm - 17mm can make a difference, but 18mm - 24mm is very large. It does depend on what you shoot of course but IME 24mm widest on a crop is not a good idea.

I'd suggest the 15-85IS and sell the kit lens, unless a faster zoom is needed. IQ is very good, very close to the 17-55 f/2.8. IS is better, its also smaller and lighter.

I too normally say glass is more important, but in this case a good, significant jump up to a 7D would be my preference.
My boss has a 450D, and no disrespect to 450D owners but the IQ is quite lacking compared to my 60D (which shares the same sensor), even when both are shooting raw.

Oh, and the 100 f/2 is a fantastic lens but quite long on a crop, although i do love mine on my 60D as its small and light yet has a good reach. Not a lens i could walk around with all day though (I do with it on my 5DMKIII though).

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses the more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards the 7d and 100mm f2.

I think this could be the best 'bang for the buck' with my budget.

I'd keep all my existing gear and save like crazy for the 17-55 2.8.

Thanks.

I dont think you can go wrong with any of this, its just finding the right combination to start with.
You might find though that your kit lens will not show the 7D at its best, especially after a few hours with the 100 f/2 :)

Good luck anyway. The 7D is an amazing camera, worlds apart form the 450D.

Back