Advice for a real novice please

Name
Alison
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm still finding my way around the Canon 350D, having great fun with it and starting to take some half decent shots outdoors. I've just got the integral pop up flash and am getting to the point where I think I need something a bit better for shooting indoors. Any clues?

I'm getting more and more requests for candid portraits at parties (at which I am a guest) and it'd be nice to get some shots of peripheral stuff which puts things into context, e.g. below:

4bresized.jpg

3iresized.jpg

I'd like to keep everything as easy, lightweight and portable as possible.

Many thanks in advance for your advice :)

p.s. Is there anything I might do to diffuse the pop up? I've thought about fingers of surgical gloves etc.

go for the 430 if you need a flash unit. even the 580 if finances will run to it.
for outside work, especialy fill in flash (fills in shadows on bright sunny days) , the inbuilt flash isnt powefull enough.
ive seen tissue/tracing paper used as a diffuser on the built in flash.
i still use a 350 and a 430 flash for wedding work(second shooter/assistant to my mrs).i,m just learning my way round the wifes old 30D.
the 350 is capable of shooting very good stuff.
i found the biggest improvement was upgrading the standard kit lens for the 17-85 IS f4-5.6. the difference in image quality is amazing.
oh , and i realy like the candid shot.
chocolate/jam on the face is one of my favs. i love a chocolate fountain at a wedding. theres always one who insists on wearing their food.:D

The 430 EX mark 2 is available, try that, most places are selling it for 200 quid.

oh , and i realy like the candid shot.
chocolate/jam on the face is one of my favs. i love a chocolate fountain at a wedding. theres always one who insists on wearing their food.:D
I've got about 200 shots from that party of kids wearing ketchup, chocolate, mustard, mayonnaise, burger, each other's swimming trunks on their heads.........I've just posted a couple here :eek:

i found the biggest improvement was upgrading the standard kit lens for the 17-85 IS f4-5.6. the difference in image quality is amazing.
Came here asking for a bit of flash help and now I'm wanting a new lens instead/as well as! Well thank you very much, Jerry! :bat: :LOL:

Seriously, I do want a new lens and am looking around for advice. I've just had a look on Lenses For Hire but can't find the 17-85 IS f4-5.6. Pity, as I'd like to try before I buy.

You could try one of these or one of these
I'm definitely going to try these first before I splash out on a new flash. I suspect for the stuff I want to photograph indoors (which really is just cake, chocolate fountains and the like at the moment) that one or other will work a treat. Thanks for that.

Thanks also to Subseasniper - if the above idea doesn't work out, I now know what I need and the budget involved :)

Alison, if you are wanting some easy to digest but very indepth flash advice try www.strobist.com

There is a flash 101 course that will blow your mind, you will never look at flash the same way again. I use this site on a daily basis (not as much as talk photography of course!)

Back