Advice for DSLR

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

At the mo, ive got a Canon 950IS which iam very happy with, but since ive been traveling iam quite tempted to get a DSLR.

Is the Canon Digital SLR EOS 450D, regarded as the best for a first DSLR camera?

Just been around Sim Lim Square in Singapore.

Rough price for a 450D, with 18 55s lens was about 1000 - 1250 SGD seems a decent price.

Cheers guys.

Can be bought for £475 in the UK at the moment, which might be useful in case of warranty issues.

There is no best first DSLR. Go try all the makes and see what feels best to you.

1250sgd is about £465 (not tourist rates) so it's really not worth buying there, better as PsiFox says to wait till you get back to the UK, if you come from here that is.

It doesn't matter much which DSLR you get as your first DSLR.
Best is a relative and often a very subjective term.
You should ask yourself these question (and maybe some other ones too):
- What do I expect the camera the be capable of?
- Do I need high resolution or is lower resolution OK?
- What software can I use to process my shots, be it jpg or raw? (Hint: you can find a short list here: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=70196. DSLRs come with some software, usually.)
- What lenses might I be buying in the future?
- How much do I want to invest and how do I want to expand the whole system I'm buying into
- etc.

Can be bought for £475 in the UK at the moment, which might be useful in case of warranty issues.

There is no best first DSLR. Go try all the makes and see what feels best to you.

Where is that price from? On 7day shop I see you can get it for 480, with a 50pound cashback. Has anyone ever applied for a cashback and received it?

I had a feel off a 450d, and I can handle it quite well. The warranty is international aswell.

Iam quite tempted to get one here, should be able to get one for around 380GBP, plus I wouldnt mind using it on the rest off my travels.

I ordered one (450d) from Amazon on Monday (7th), it said that thing about "order it in the next few hours to recieve it by Tuesday 8th" but I thought i'd just get the 'super saver' delivery as it was free and i'm now skint.

But it turns out that they have a 'Delivery estimate' of 15th July - 21st July :(

So fingers crossed I should have it two weeks after I placed the order!

The annoying thing is, it says on their site that they're 'in-stock' etc :thinking:

Iam still in the market for a DSLR, now ive got a few options which I would like your advice.

A guy is selling a 20D on another forum I use for just under £200.
You can get the D40 for around 210-220
Or save for the 450d

What would you guys recommend?

First when buying second hand ask how many pictures the camera has taken, exif files have that information. I wouldn't touch a high milage camera. if you bought new it would have a warrantee which second hand would not. Starter lens price 55-250mm £210 to cover most events before deciding what you want to concentrate on subject wise
This would have to be purchased on top of the second hand camera.

Ok the canon 40d is 10 meg pix whereas the Nikon D40 is only 6 meg pix. I would not worry too much about the 4 meg pixel difference what I would compare is the price.

The Nikon D40 can be bought new for around £210 including a lens,against the second hand Canon sold for £200 without the lens but the camera sold new is about £500.
You have to take into account that the entry level Nikon won't have all the features of the second hand one.

The 450D Canon is around the £450 mark depending on shop but then you would also have to purchase a lens say the Canon 55-250 mm ( you need a good range for first time) with say a 4 gig card and postage if buying thru the internet about £700, just a rough guess.

I would be incline to go for the Nikon D40 and have the lens included so your ready to start shooting( don't forget the card is extra) with the warrantee to back it up.

Really it all comes down to how much you want to spend. If you go for the 450D obviously you are getting a far far better camera for your bucks with all the bells and whistles on.

To sum up if money was an issue I would go for the Nikon D40 or else go for the Canon 450D and not have to think about upgrading at a later date.

Realspeed

Thanks realspeed, dont think its worth saving up for the 450d?

The 400D kit is going for £200 new at Sainsbury's now, I'd be tempted to get that and you'll save yourself enough for a 55-250 IS lens too :)

Flas***P+ Jimmy

I am not up with Canon prices/range as I have Nikon, so possibly Flash may well have a point.
What I would say is try them all out and see what you are most comfortable holding in your hand and how easy you find the controls to use. There are other makes out there as well that may be worth considering but do check out the range of lens available.

Each camera not only in that makers range, but in comparison with other makes, offer something different in features just to add to the confusion

It is hard to be unbiased with different makes and generally you will find there are two camps, Nikon and Canon, both of which are excellent products but the cost of makers own lens can vary.

This link may be of some help, click on make then camera for full review prices are rrp not what you can buy for

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs.asp

Realspeed

There is a best first DSLR.

The absolute best you can possibly buy. Buying a cheap one for expediencies sake may leave you frustrated, and may make you feel that it's just not worth the effort.

The 400D kit is going for £200 new at Sainsbury's now, I'd be tempted to get that and you'll save yourself enough for a 55-250 IS lens too :)

Been down to my local one, and they dont have any in :(

Hi all

At the mo, ive got a Canon 950IS which iam very happy with, but since ive been traveling iam quite tempted to get a DSLR.

Is the Canon Digital SLR EOS 450D, regarded as the best for a first DSLR camera?

Just been around Sim Lim Square in Singapore.

Rough price for a 450D, with 18 55s lens was about 1000 - 1250 SGD seems a decent price.

Cheers guys.

Always exercise caution when shopping for camera equipment at Sim Lim Square. Sometimes the prices they quote might seem attractive but the final prices are usually not cheap! :thumbsdown:

With the falling rates of the £, camera shopping in Singapore is not longer much cheaper than before. Currently, you can get a 450D body for around SGD$1000 and with today's exchange rate, that's £391 only. As for the 450D kit, you can get it for around SGD$1200 and that's £469. In the past, due to the strong £, camera bodies in Singapore usually cost about £200-£300 cheaper than the UK.

Due to the bad exchange rates now,i would suggest that instead of saving that £100 or more by getting your camera in Singapore, you might as well buy your camera in the UK as you can have a peace of mind by having UK warranty for that extra £100+ or more.

Cheers! :)

Back