Advice for first softbox

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to buy a softbox and would like some advice.
I took a few portraits of my daughter the other night using what lighting kit i have (2 speedlights, umbrella, stand, wireless triggers and a circular diffuser) and was quite surprised how well they turned out!.
I dont want to spend huge amounts as i don't do much portrait stuff, but would like to do much more in the future, the problem is finding people to model!
So...i figured i'll need a softbox, stand and speedlight bracket.
I've seen some chinese makes on ebay that include the softbox (80cm) and bracket for around £40, to brand new from Wex for £145 (Lastolite ezybox II 60cm, bracket and wexpro stand)
I have the money for the expensive option and don't mind paying that much if the quality difference justifies it.
Also am i missing anything else out i will need, and what size softbox would suit me best? (head + shoulders, poss full body)

Last edited:
Hi Carl,

I bought this one as I did not want to spend alot of money as I did not know if I would use it much:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flash-Sof..._Diffusers&hash=item23408767ea#ht_2824wt_1399

It is a good box and works well, it comes with the speedlight mount. If you can, try and look for an Umbrella style one, as it is a lot easier to put away as opposed to the one I have bought. Looking at your post you already have a stand so you can use that one.

This is what I'd recommend, cheap, well made, easy to put up and gives you an accessory mount that will help you get other modifiers that'll still be useful once you move up to studio lights

That looks like a very good buy Phil (y)

This is what I'd recommend, cheap, well made, easy to put up and gives you an accessory mount that will help you get other modifiers that'll still be useful once you move up to studio lights
Thanks for that too Phil, looked so tempting I've just bought one for myself.
I've been looking for something a bit better quality than the cheap neewer one I've got at home for a while and this looks like it'll be perfect for my needs.

Thanks for that too Phil, looked so tempting I've just bought one for myself.
I've been looking for something a bit better quality than the cheap neewer one I've got at home for a while and this looks like it'll be perfect for my needs.
It's great for the flashgun. However it needs a speedring sorting to make it useful for a studio head. I'm still working on a suitable method.

Phil - does the clamp that grips the speedlight have any padding or is it just bare metal?

I hope your getting commission for selling all these soft boxes Phil ;)

Phil - does the clamp that grips the speedlight have any padding or is it just bare metal?

The clamp is plastic, the bottom part that the flash rests on has a non-slip rubber pad. These are very good, I have a couple.

The clamp is plastic, the bottom part that the flash rests on has a non-slip rubber pad. These are very good, I have a couple.

Ah ok, thanks Jim.

They look pretty well made. Good price too - I might have to buy a couple.

Hi Phil,

How easy are these to put away? Are they the ones where you hold the sides and try and fold ones?

Thank you

Lols. :D

What's the deal with postage? Got an email saying it's been dispatched with an expected delivery date of the 9th-29th of October... is that just to cover their backs or is it coming from China etc?

Here was me thinking mine would be here today but I hadn't seen the delivery from China but. Hopefully won't be too long.

'S probably why mine was more expensive, it came from the UK.

Yes, it is the fold away type (think Lastolite reflector).

'S probably why mine was more expensive, it came from the UK.

Yes, it is the fold away type (think Lastolite reflector).

Thanks, I want an umbrella type one.

For those that have one of the softboxes / clamps that Phil recommended, it appears the flash is held by the head, rather than the body.

Is that likely to be an issue in the longer term, as the tilt / swivel joint in the flash is now supporting the weight of the flash body + trigger, rather than the head (so more stress on the joint)?

For those that have one of the softboxes / clamps that Phil recommended, it appears the flash is held by the head, rather than the body.

Is that likely to be an issue in the longer term, as the tilt / swivel joint in the flash is now supporting the weight of the flash body + trigger, rather than the head (so more stress on the joint)?
I wouldn't think so, depending on your flashgun though, you might find some positions more suitable than others.

I'd guess the strain on the joint would be no more than a Rogue Flashbender.

I would have suggested something like this for use w/ speedlights. It's a 48" silver parabolic bounce, or parabolic box w/ diffusion & grid. It costs 2x what the 30" box costs, but it's at least 2x as useful as well.

After my woes in this thead, I like Phil's idea, and having S-mount is very useful indeed. The thing I can't get my head around is, how can a hotshoe flash firing directly into the diffusion material of a softbox from the back give light anything like as soft as one firing from the front into the back of it, bouncing off all the reflective material then going through the diffuser(s)? Don't you really need bare-bulb flash to be firing from the back?

After my woes in this thead, I like Phil's idea, and having S-mount is very useful indeed. The thing I can't get my head around is, how can a hotshoe flash firing directly into the diffusion material of a softbox from the back give light anything like as soft as one firing from the front into the back of it, bouncing off all the reflective material then going through the diffuser(s)? Don't you really need bare-bulb flash to be firing from the back?
Just put the diffusion dome (stoffen) on it...

This helps
Just put the diffusion dome (stoffen) on it...
which makes the speedlight behave a bit more like a bare bulb. And bare bulb flashes have been used in softboxes like that since forever. Make sure you get a softbox with an inner diffusion panel - it makes a difference.

Back