Advice for gymnastics at North Greenwich Arena

Edit My Images
No
Hello,

I'm attending men's gymnastics at the North Greenwich Arena. Am thinking of taking along a single lens - the Tamron 28-75mm. To keep things simple I was thinking of just using the sports mode.

From the seating plan, it looks like we'll be sitting right in front of the vault. Has anybody attended before? Any suggestions please?

Thank you.

Putting it in sport mode will just give you a fast shutter speed...Better to manual at your chosen Shutterspeed..(Min 1/640 sec) Aperture wide open and select ISO to get a decent exposure.

This will give you sharp images but possibly noisey depending on the available light in the arena and the ISO that you have to use.

Olympics.jpg

My wife and son went yesterday and looking at the exif data on some of the pictures she took the camera was setting around 100th sec F5 at 200ISO so some scope to higher on all settings if you are using a better camera.

My thought was you'd be better screen grabbing images from the BBC HD relplays as I've been very impressed with the quality of the coverage.

David

Hello,

I'm attending men's gymnastics at the North Greenwich Arena. Am thinking of taking along a single lens - the Tamron 28-75mm. To keep things simple I was thinking of just using the sports mode.

From the seating plan, it looks like we'll be sitting right in front of the vault. Has anybody attended before? Any suggestions please?

Thank you.

How did you get on ?

Hello,

Pretty well actually. For most of the night I had the camera setting on A at the aperture between f/4.5 and f/6.1, with a few photographs taken on Sports mode.

I was trying to capture motion blur thinking that it would have a better effect that a high-speed still when the gymnasts were up in the air. I don't think it quite worked out though.

I'll upload some samples when I get home this evening.

Back