Advice for Lenses

Craig Cochrane

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I am 14 years old and last year I got my first DSLR. It is a Canon 700d with the 18-55mm kit lens.I am really enjoying photography but are just wanting that little bit extra focal range. With my birthday and Christmas coming up now is the time to fill that gap for me. I have been looking at 70-200mm lenses but are not too sure on what to get and was hoping that some of the more experienced photographer can help me out. My budget would be £800 very maximum and the lenses I have been looking at are:
  • Canon 70-200 f/4 L USM £399(DigitalRev)
  • Canon 70-200 f/4 L IS USM £699(DigitalRev)
  • Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L USM £729(DigitalRev)
  • Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM £609(DigitalRev)
  • Used Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS £680-£850 (Ebay)
Mainly I shoot handheld as often I do not have time to put up a tripod but I do use one sometimes. I also like doing some video work and I use my camera for mountain biking and road cycling trips. From this I am thinking that an Image Stabilized Lens would be better but I am tempted by the Canon f/2.8 and even more by a used Image Stabilized one. I could go for the Sigma but I am really tempted by the L lens quality. I don't know enough about these lenses and need to go down to my local Calumet to try them out but firstly I would like your opinions. What would be the best choice? What is your experience with buying used and am I being silly and should be getting a 24-105 f/4 and maybe like a 50mm prime lens? Your opinions would be greatly appreciated

Hey there, Great to see young guns coming into this kind of hobby, so firstly, nice one!

Secondly, I wouldn't (not saying others wouldn't too) film using a 70-200 lens.. (Plus if I read right mounted on your bike..?) There's better out there, but I'd usually grab a prime for that..

That said, I use the 70-200 F4L from Canon without IS for most of my work and it's super super sharp.. But also, can be had in the classifieds for around £100 cheaper than Digital Rev's new price.. Which could leave another £500ish for you to play with.. If buying second hand is an option for you, Just putting my view over :)

Firstly it depends on what you want to shoot as 200mm isn't a lot of reach, even on a crop body. If you know the 70-200mm is for you you the need to decide whether the benefits of the f2.8 outweigh the extra weight over the F4. Not just sharpness and extra light, but rendering and bokeh.

I would also recommend the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 VC USD, better than the sigma and only marginally inferior to the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II.

Hey there, Great to see young guns coming into this kind of hobby, so firstly, nice one!

Secondly, I wouldn't (not saying others wouldn't too) film using a 70-200 lens.. (Plus if I read right mounted on your bike..?) There's better out there, but I'd usually grab a prime for that..

That said, I use the 70-200 F4L from Canon without IS for most of my work and it's super super sharp.. But also, can be had in the classifieds for around £100 cheaper than Digital Rev's new price.. Which could leave another £500ish for you to play with.. If buying second hand is an option for you, Just putting my view over :)

Hi thanks for the reply. That's Actually quite a good Idea with going for the f/4 and saving some money for other lenses and tripods and other things. And as for your confusion what I mean when I say I use it for Mountain biking I mean my friends and I use my Camera and make short Biking films (Not attached to our bikes, I have a GoPro for that)

Firstly it depends on what you want to shoot as 200mm isn't a lot of reach, even on a crop body. If you know the 70-200mm is for you you the need to decide whether the benefits of the f2.8 outweigh the extra weight over the F4. Not just sharpness and extra light, but rendering and bokeh.

I would also recommend the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 VC USD, better than the sigma and only marginally inferior to the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II.

Hi thanks for the reply. I hadn't really taken the Tamron into much consideration but I'll add that to my list of possibilities. But I think to really decide between the 2.8 and the 4 I'll need to go try them out in person.

For film chap you prime lenses, 50mm1.4 is the best one I have used to date! Cheap and easy to pick up and its a work horse.

Back