Advice for new lens.........please

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all....how are we?

Im in the process of looking to upgrade. Im a learning photographer and wanna buy a telephoto lens for my 350D. I am very torn between then Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II XR, the Sigma AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO macro or the Canon 70-300 USM...
I take a mix of landscape, nature and sports photos, with a budget of no more than about £200 at the moment, have to start somewhere i guess....

Any advice on whats best to go with a 350D would be greatly appreciated....and also, anyone living in the norfolk/north norfolk area keen to show me some tricks or fancies meeting up sometime to take pics, let me know, keen to learn some new tricks off old dogs...:naughty:

Regards

Guy

I share a 70-300mm IS USM lens with my husband.......I have a 350D and he has the 20D. So far, we have been very happy with it. My only gripe is its not fast enough.....f4-5.6...for low light stuff, but pretty good otherwise.(y)

Sigma 70-300 APO whotsit-thingummy for sure. Cracker of a lens, well worth the £150-ish it'll set you back. if you want to see some example then all these http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12379 were taken with it.

I'm fully intending to still keep this when I aquire a 70-200 f2.8 IS shortly - I really like it!

Whatever you choose, good luck with it, and make sure that you share the results! (y)

I bought the Sigma version and never regretted it.

If you look in my gallrey there are a couple of pictures of airplanes that I took using it

Dont make the mistake of buying a 75-300 USM IS (the 75 gives it away) if you find one cheap. This was the first IS lens that canon made. It is much worse than the 70-300 series.
(I know this to my regret)

He never mentioned anything about getting the IS version. Just the USM.

For his £200 Budget, he will not get the IS version new anyways.

I think for your budget, the Sigma is probably going to be your best bet.

Just a personnel bit of experience here but. I started off with a 70 - 300 USM III on my 350D and found it a very awkward lens to use. Wide end was OK but moving to the tele end I had real problems holding the thing still. So much so that I ended up getting a monopod to relive the problem. I think it was just because the lens was so light and at 300mm the amplification of movement is BIG. I got the heavy 100 - 400L and the problem went away, OK so thats a different lens in a different price bracket. Of course this could just be me, getting old and decrepit but? Might be worth while thinking about a monopod if your going to be using this lens at full stretch ;)

Back