Advice for new lens

Name
Raz
Edit My Images
No
Hello, I am looking for advice on what new lens to buy for my Canon 450d...

I am currently using the 18-55mm IS kit lens and a 50mm f1.8 prime and am currently considering 2 options for a new lens which are within my budget:

1) Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
2) Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM

I probably would not be able to afford another lens for quite a while, so I would like your opinions on this. Would I get more benefits from upgrading to a faster and sharper lens (over the kit lens) or would it be more useful to get the ultra wide angle which would open up even more photo opportunities?

I am currently leaning towards the Sigma for the extra variety in lens, but for a beginner would you say that the jump in quality from the kit lens to the Tamron would be worth not getting the Sigma?

With choice number 1 your just repeating your kit lens range, I would go for the sigma, opens up much more possibilities. And welcome to the site.(y)

I've asked a similar question on the forums recently. The Tamron seems to get very good reviews - meant to be pretty sharp for the price and at 2.8 throughout it should be fast enough too and make a good general walkaround lens. Onestop have it at £244 !!

As for the 10-20, I have one of those and do not use it as much as I should. Always been very pleased with the results of it though !!!

Anth

... am currently considering 2 options for a new lens which are within my budget:

1) Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
2) Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM

Would I get more benefits from upgrading to a faster and sharper lens (over the kit lens) or would it be more useful to get the ultra wide angle which would open up even more photo opportunities?
It's impossible to give you any meaningful help here. These two lenses are not comparable. The Sigma will let you take pictures that you can't take at the moment. The Tamron will give you better quality on the kind of pictures you do take at the moment. Only you can decide which is most important/valuable to you.

What do you want the lens for?
walkabout, landscape, people, street, macro, sports, wildlife etc.. etc..
This should then guide the type of lens to look at

Hello again, I've read through the replies and googled a bit, and have decided to get the Sigma 10-20mm (well actually I've already gone an bought a secondhand one off eBay :p) as I agree with some of you about not repeating the kit lens.
I would have sold it if I got the Tamron but my kit lens, along with the Canon 50mm f1.8, has served me well so far (for a beginner), and so I've decided to delve into ultra wide angle photography, especially after looking at some pictures.

In reply to thesmileyone, I had a look at the Tokina 11-16mm and there has been a lot of great reviews on it, but right now I am not able to afford it on my student budget :(... As its (relatively) newer there also doesn't seem to be many used ones for sale.

Thanks for all your help :)

Back