Advice for new macro lens please

squizza

Eeyore
Edit My Images
Yes
Good afternoon everyone.

I'm after some advice regarding a new macro lens. My sigma 105mm has died - something in the mechanism sadly which is disappointing as I have always looked after my equipment.
Anyways, I am after a new lens; I have no interest in repairing the broken 105mm due to it being quite slow sometimes so am happy to replace it.

I have a Canon 1D mk III so any lens suggestions for this set up will be much appreciated.

Kind regards and thanks in advance.

Canon 100mm non L model. Similar length to your Sigma and known to be a very sharp lens. I have tried the Tamron 90, the canon 60mm and this and on a non cropped body this is the best by far. Usually available for about £200 second hand.

I went straight for the Canon 100mm f2.8L IS when I got a macro lens as I had the money to do so. If I hadn't got the budget for it I would of gone for the Canon 100mm non L or the Sigma 105mm. I tried both of the lenses and the IQ was excellent from both of them but I was then left some money in a will so I went for the L version. With the IS on it focusses fast enough on both my 5D3 and 70D to be able to use AF nearly all of the time and I have it prefocussed to a subject area for most of the other shots. I have used MF but only on a very few times as the AF speed is excellent and is supposed to be similar for the non L version. If you've already had the Sigma 105 then IMHO either of the Canon macro lenses would be good for you. They give you plenty of room to get the shot without scaring the subject too much which you might do with the 50mm f2.5. The 100 L never ceases to amaze me when I use it, it's amazingly sharp and gives me some fantastic photos.

I did have a Canon MP-E65 for a while, but after an accident I didn't have the mobility to get the best out of it so I sold it on. It's an amazing piece of kit and I did get some amazing photosw from it. I remember one shot where an eye of a needle was around 11 inches wide and the piece of cotton looked about the size of a washing line. It does have quite a learning curve with it though, that's why I kept my 100 L macro as it's much easier to use.

Back