Advice for panning shots

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
Yes
I shoot low speeds generally 1/25 or 1/30 but I'm looking to get some advice for doing this on f1 or gt1. And any other advice on panning shots

Please and thanks

Oh and bikes as they seem to be difficult to capture :(

One or two of mine
5846293442_3928aa735a_z.jpg

5776064022_9950a4f76e_z.jpg

5775360289_4c6da21106_z.jpg

Last edited:
Well looking at your pictures, I am not sure you need any advice, No 1 & 2 are very good, not sure about no 3, I shoot motorbikes and i use 1/60th.

I find that standing square on/facing the track, using the hips only to track the shot from left to right or vise versa and take the shot when the subjects and my hips are in line, this way its a nice fluid movment.

Just my advice from a novice:LOL:

I ve recently started panning myself and my images are nowhere near as good as yours in term of sharpness...Just wondered what focusing mode are you using...continuos AI servo or do you pre focus at a point.

also out of interest what lens did you have on.

Last edited:
The best bit of advice is to practice, lots! There have been quite a few threads on here, with lots of advice on panning too.

Generally the shots you have posted are fine though.
#1 - The only nitpick I would have is that the numberplate/badge on the front aren't sharp, but that is seriously tricky to nail on panning shots anyway.
#2 - I prefer to see shots where the subject has more room to move into, with this one it is almost like the car has passed, then you've pressed the shutter.
#3 - This is also the case with the other two, but worse on this one, the shot is spoilt by the cluttered background, if you are shooting that wide you really need to get the background blurred so that you can't tell what is there, cars/portacabins etc. The positioning in the frame on this one is much better though.

Hi,

Take a look in the tutorials section, there is an excellent panning guide in there. I'm on my phone or I'd get the link for you.

I have just started trying to pan. Those shots are great, particularly the first one. I seem to struggle with keeping the whole car (rather than just the front) sharp. Am off to look in the tutorial section now.

Go Slower.
Shoot LOTS.
That seems to be the recipe most folks use.
I have got shots I like at 1/8, hand held, of LMP1s at Spa, top bat through Blanchimont. 2, out of maybe 300...

Yes, I agree with shooting a lot. It's the great advantage of digital.

Some people say to set your continuous autofocus to use as few spots as possible, which is said to increase the ability of the camera to keep up. I've also heard that using multi-point predictive 3D autofocus is best...

Experience teaches me that most things will work occasionally if you concentrate on smooth panning and keeping the subject in the right part of the frame and take lots of photos on high-speed continuous.

A 16Gb+ card is probably a good idea :cool:

Yeh, practice, practice and once you've done that practice a bit more......

Personally, I'm not a fan of shooting on 'burst/continuous' I prefer to pick the shots myself. Having a rubbish buffer on the D7k wouldn't help that either. Each to their own though, whatever works for you is good.

You could try using Back Button Focus to separate the focus and metering which helps when the cars are going around corners, under tree cover etc when the light changes`

Paul.

Hi,

Take a look in the tutorials section, there is an excellent panning guide in there. I'm on my phone or I'd get the link for you.

Hi,

Can you point me in the direction of the tutorials section please? I can't seem to find it.

Cheers
Chris

EDIT - Just found it (y)

Last edited:
*2 is very good. I tried my hand at these a while back up at knockhill and was a total hit and miss. I never messed about with any settings other than putting the camera into 'sport' capture and keeping focus on target as I panned.

I lost the pic when moving to new pc (mac) and never backed them up.

Will have to get back up there as not been in a while.

Back