Beginner Advice for photographing a Charity metal gig.

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
So the premise is, I am attending a charity gig with a few bands playing. There is no onus on me to come away with anything useable because I asked my friend who is organising it if I could practice my technique and should I get anything good, themselves and the bands can use them for future promotion.

I don't need advice on getting paid, or protecting my work. As it's a charity gig and everyone is doing it entirely for the benefit of the charity with no remuneration. And my main goal is to have some good pictures for myself.

I have limited equipment, and will not be using a flash.
Camera: Nikon D5200
Lenses I can take: 50mm 1.8, 18-55mm kit lens, 70-300 manual focus f/4-5.6 and a helios 44-2 58mm (MF).

I'm expecting quite a lot of movement from the musicians, so will most likely need to keep my SS up.
I should be able to get pretty close to the stage, if not virtually on it, but I have no way of checking out the venue until the day as I don't live anywhere near, however, there is a Venue spec sheet here.

All advice/suggestions welcome.

With the lenses you've listed, the 50mm is a must for the fast aperture, then i'd take both the 18-55 and 70-300. I've looked at the spec sheet and it seems there's decent stage lights. I would stick it in manual, choose fast aperture, ie, 1.8 on the 50mm and adjust the shutter and iso as needed. I'm not sure what your camera is like at higher iso, but that's the way i'd shoot it. Good luck.

With the lenses you've listed, the 50mm is a must for the fast aperture, then i'd take both the 18-55 and 70-300. I've looked at the spec sheet and it seems there's decent stage lights. I would stick it in manual, choose fast aperture, ie, 1.8 on the 50mm and adjust the shutter and iso as needed. I'm not sure what your camera is like at higher iso, but that's the way i'd shoot it. Good luck.
Upto 1600 it's very good, 3200/6400 are useable with a bit of work, but I wouldn't want to go that high if avoidable and certainly not higher. May set the Auto-iso to 3200 max and try to stick to changing SS for movement purposes, that way if a band is less energetic, I can drop the SS.

I'll have a play around with different ISO to see if I am happy with the higher ISO and if there is a point where it just ruins the shots, I'll make sure the auto ISO can't go that high.

If the lighting is as described, then the 50mm would be ample without the need to boost the ISO up too high, it's the other two lenses that may need a higher iso setting. It's about timing too, if you can find moments where the performers are still, you could get the shots at lower iso.

If the lighting is as described, then the 50mm would be ample without the need to boost the ISO up too high, it's the other two lenses that may need a higher iso setting. It's about timing too, if you can find moments where the performers are still, you could get the shots at lower iso.
I will likely only use the kit lens from back of the room for a few situational shots with the crowd, so I will likely under expose to get silhouette the crowd.
I will try the longer lens, but i'm not totally comfortable with manual focus, so that and the helios will just be a matter of trying and chimping, and if I don't like it, they will go back in the bag.
Fortunately, my hotel room is in the hotel attached to the venue, so I can just drop gear back there that I don't want to use, or when I want to stop.

I may be able to have a look at purchasing an extra prime before going to this. What would be a good length to have, with the possible use afterwards being for portraits?
The camera is a crop sensor, so I was thinking an 85mm or 105mm lens might be a good addition.

Have you considered a Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr1. You can pick them up at a decent price and if movement is limited at the venue, it may be more helpful than the primes you've suggested? I haven't used the 85mm, so i can't advise, though i know it is used a lot for portraits due to it's bokeh...

Have you considered a Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr1. You can pick them up at a decent price and if movement is limited at the venue, it may be more helpful than the primes you've suggested? I haven't used the 85mm, so i can't advise, though i know it is used a lot for portraits due to it's bokeh...
I would love to consider that, but that seems to be almost double the price and I couldn't really justify that sort of outlay at the moment.

I think at this moment in time, there are no expectations from anyone regarding this gig, so cover it with what you have and think about other purchases after. Although the 85 is a great lens for portraits, i would say it's too close to the 50mm for focal length and financial outlay. Once you've experienced the gig, you may have a better idea of which lens you'd like for future. Just enjoy and experiment with the camera... :)

I think at this moment in time, there are no expectations from anyone regarding this gig, so cover it with what you have and think about other purchases after. Although the 85 is a great lens for portraits, i would say it's too close to the 50mm for focal length and financial outlay. Once you've experienced the gig, you may have a better idea of which lens you'd like for future. Just enjoy and experiment with the camera... :)
That does sound like a more sensible idea. With the crop factor the difference in FFE FL is still only 75mm vs 128mm. I may go for a 90mm or 105mm macro lens anyway as I enjoy macro work, and then if they work as portrait lenses, it's a win win.

I have a sigma 105, the older one without vr, it doubles up as a fantastic portrait lens, so sharp. In fact, i have two macro lenses, a nikon one that i bought on here. I thought af would be quicker on the nikon, but after trying them both, i can't notice a difference. I'm debating which one to sell.... .... ;-)

I worked in manual mode with the Iso on 1600 I allowed tho underexpose for 2/3 of a stop. To get well exposed shots I waited for for the light to be on the subject. I always worked with the backbutton focus I don't know if the 5200 can do this. if possible you can set it on auto ISO if you can limmit it on for example 3200 that gives you more time to think about the compo and follow the lightshow. Metal bands are known for there lack of front light this will make it hard work to get some descent shots

Back