advice for photographying the landscape in Polar night conditions

Edit My Images
No
Hello, I am visiting this December the High Arctic and there will be "polar nights" - no light only night which is extremely blue. ( I am Not speaking about the northern lights). So I was wondering if any of you have already experienced those conditions - what advices will you give me? Are there any filters to reduce/ cut blue light? What about any filters to emphasis even more that blue light? i would like to do few experiments why in those conditions so I will really appreciate any help and advice!

Just a thought... if its blue, why would you want to change it? Anyway, couldn't you just adjust the white balance in post?

My only advice would be batteries. I guess it will be cold and below freezing? Batteries discharge quicker in severe cold. So, take plenty, fully charge them before you go out shooting and keep the spares somewhere warm. I even read of one pro in the arctic that kept spares under his armpit somehow! Sounds uncomfortable but hey...if it works? I'd keep them accessible but close to my body, ie under my outer layers.

We were in Iceland in March. The only blue skies we saw were in the blue hour. Once it got fully dark the sky was just that....fully dark.

Back