Advice from any Acratech ballhead owners, please....

RedRobin

Dances With Dogs
Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes
Having done lots of research into what would suit my needs best, I have narrowed it down to the Acratech GP-SS and will use it on both a monopod and a tripod. The heaviest it will need to support is a Canon 100-400mm + 1.4x (sometimes) + 7D2 = 2,685 g.

I currently use a Manfrotto ballhead and am not satisfied with its ball's ability to hold the lens steadily at an angle without a small slip no matter how much ball tension is applied. I use lens tripod collars on all my lenses.

I could ask Acratech and also their UK retailer Bob Rigby but they will have the biass of wanting to sell their product to me. Hence my question here:

What is your experience of any Acratech ballhead's abilities to lock down and hold without any slippage, please?

^ Does anyone else think that the presenter reminds them of Max Headroom? :D

Many Thanks for any advice or comments.

Calling Steven @sk66 - I understand you are very knowledgeable on this subject, so would value your input.

Last edited:
What is your experience of any Acratech ballhead's abilities to lock down and hold without any slippage, please?

I have the V1 version, in answer to your question ... it would not lock down without slipping, not a lot but not a patch on the Arca Swiss Z1 I replaced it with.

I have the V1 version, in answer to your question ... it would not lock down without slipping, not a lot but not a patch on the Arca Swiss Z1 I replaced it with.

....Thanks, Martyn - I wonder if the more recent Acratech designs since the V1 have been improved. Apparently the V1 diagonal brace design has been changed and the V1 also doesn't have a separate tension knob? < Surely not the case!?

So, if the V1 slips a fraction the question is whether their GP-SS has improved or not.

Arca-Swiss is the other brand I have been considering but their P0 doesn't have the versatility of Acratech's GP-SS. The Z1 would definitely not suit my needs even though A-S products are undoubtedly top notch quality.

You will have no problem locking the ball solidly, especially when the lens is optimally balanced by sliding on the A-S plate so there is effectively very little torque on the head. Being picky, there is some very slight left-right movement of the lens as the ball is locked down, but it's hardly noticeable and simply not an issue with monopod use. However, from previous posts I got the impression that you wanted to carry the camera over your shoulder; if you do that, very few heads (this side of an A-S Z1) will hold without slipping. There are huge torque loads applied, so just flip the head over so it's resting in the drop-slot first. I found the friction control to be very sensitive and needing only tiny movements for fine control, though that's more of a comment than a criticism.

Steven sk66 has an Acratech. He's a helpful and experienced user, I know he likes it and uses some big lenses. If he doesn't see this thread. drop him a PM. Even better, maybe someone near you has an Acratech - there's no substitute for a bit of hands-on with these things. Differences can be subtle and quite subjective. I also know Acratech has a very good returns policy if it's not to your liking and you purchase from the US. Bob Rigby too I'm sure, though they would want to receive the head back in unmarked/new condition and that's actually almost impossible with something like this - just locking a camera in place can mark the clamp ;)

Edit: Bob Rigby has a demo model - I know, because I borrowed it. They may send you that to try, possibly on payment of full price as deposit. Ask for Andy, helpful guy :)

Edit 2: what versatility is lacking from the A-S P0?

Last edited:
It was said that they had improved since the V1, great looking heads, but if I buy another ball head it will be the PO.

Best bet is to listen to Hoppy, he did a fairly comprehensive test of a fair number of ball heads, so knows what he is talking about

......You will have no problem locking the ball solidly, especially when the lens is optimally balanced by sliding on the A-S plate......
I think that this is very relevant, Richard. I had a large Gitzo ballhead (15kg+ rating) that was excellent with a 70-200, 300/4 or 400/5.6 but was a sagging pain with a 1srs body and front heavy prime like the Zeiss 15/2.8.

Bob

I think that this is very relevant, Richard. I had a large Gitzo ballhead (15kg+ rating) that was excellent with a 70-200, 300/4 or 400/5.6 but was a sagging pain with a 1srs body and front heavy prime like the Zeiss 15/2.8.

Bob

True :) With heavy gear, getting everything in balance makes life so much easier and it's much harder to get accurate framing when the camera is constantly pulling forward.

A lens collar and sliding A-S plate is the answer with longer lenses, but that's not an option with heavy shorter lenses without a collar - a 24-70/2.8 is a common example. So I use one of these, a short A-S rail and clamp http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Swis...=1422970189&sr=1-36&keywords=arca+swiss+clamp Pop this onto the head, then mount the camera onto the rail and slide it back an inch or two - perfect balance. It's one of my favourite accessories (y)

You will have no problem locking the ball solidly, especially when the lens is optimally balanced by sliding on the A-S plate so there is effectively very little torque on the head. Being picky, there is some very slight left-right movement of the lens as the ball is locked down, but it's hardly noticeable and simply not an issue with monopod use. However, from previous posts I got the impression that you wanted to carry the camera over your shoulder; if you do that, very few heads (this side of an A-S Z1) will hold without slipping. There are huge torque loads applied, so just flip the head over so it's resting in the drop-slot first. I found the friction control to be very sensitive and needing only tiny movements for fine control, though that's more of a comment than a criticism.

....I did think about over-the-shoulder at one time but now I find that my Gitzo monopod is ridiculously easy to carry and can clip onto a spare strap I can wear across my chest so it hangs on my lefthand side. Good tip about using the drop-slot - Thanks.

Steven sk66 has an Acratech. He's a helpful and experienced user, I know he likes it and uses some big lenses. If he doesn't see this thread. drop him a PM. Even better, maybe someone near you has an Acratech - there's no substitute for a bit of hands-on with these things. Differences can be subtle and quite subjective. I also know Acratech has a very good returns policy if it's not to your liking and you purchase from the US. Bob Rigby too I'm sure, though they would want to receive the head back in unmarked/new condition and that's actually almost impossible with something like this - just locking a camera in place can mark the clamp ;)

Edit: Bob Rigby has a demo model - I know, because I borrowed it. They may send you that to try, possibly on payment of full price as deposit. Ask for Andy, helpful guy :)

....I'll phone them today - Cheers. I agree totally about the hands-on but it's just luck who is nearby to help. Robert White who are the UK main Arca-Swiss retailers have a demo of a P0 but it's out on loan to an ex-employee and they say won't be returned until the end of February! You would have thought they would have recalled it just for a pre-arranged half-day as I am only about 40 miles away. They won't even take one out of its wrapping.

Edit 2: what versatility is lacking from the A-S P0?

....I may be wrong but the video demo/reviews I have seen suggest that the Acratech GP-SS will be more versatile in my uses when for close-up shots on small tripod and it also can be used exactly like a gimbal, should I wish it and especially if I ever buy a more substantial Gitzo tripod. I also really like those big rubber knobs which the Acratech has and would not buy the P0 without first testing what the ring twists feel like. There is also a limitation on plates I can choose to fit the A-S MonoballFix AND my Acratech Swift Clamp, which perfectly fits my BlackRapid strap. The knobs and levers on these Acratech products seem much more 'direct' and clearly offer speed of operation.

Basically there are 3 components: Head >< Release plate >< BR strap. I think I am better off using components which are designed to work together.

Last edited:
I've still got one and it's still not very good, ok for landscape gear but a bit poor with any weight attached.

I've still got one and it's still not very good, ok for landscape gear but a bit poor with any weight attached.

....What sort of weight are you talking about please Neil?

A little over 4kg gets it feeling overloaded, i still use it for landscape and it's fine for that.

A little over 4kg gets it feeling overloaded, i still use it for landscape and it's fine for that.

....Thanks, Neil - My heaviest lens + extender + camera = 2.7 kg, so I don't anticipate any feelings of overload or compromise of functionality.

Bob Rigby has a demo model - I know, because I borrowed it. They may send you that to try, possibly on payment of full price as deposit. Ask for Andy, helpful guy :)

....I spoke to Andy at BobRigby yesterday and he was extremely helpful although we couldn't identify exactly who you were - We joked that you were someone I met on the internet called Richard and a male from the East Midlands but I could not say any more :D

I didn't know but BobRigby also stock Arca-Swiss ballheads and I told him I had been seriously considering one of the P0. His advice was that they are very good indeed as you would expect but that if your main use was outdoors shooting wildlife they did sometimes get fine debris around the ball and being mostly enclosed it was a pain-in-the-butt to clear, whereas no such problems with the Acratech's very open construction. Photographing Seals on a windy beach was mentioned as a typical scenario for a potential problem. I lve only 2 miles from the coast and often shoot in that environment.

He uses Acratech himself and mentioned that they had only received 2 returns in all the time they had been Acratech agents and their aftersales service was top notch.

On the question of slippage, he said that ALL ballheads except the geared versions had different degrees of slippage before final adjustment lockdown. The Acratech has a downwards slip and an Arca-Swiss an upwards slip. Geared versions cost around £800 upwards! I can live with a slippage which I can get to know and adjust for - It's got to be better than my Manfrotto ballhead slip!

So, an Acratech GP-SS + Swift Clamp + Wimberley P30 plate is arriving at my door tomorrow! If I later get an Acratech plate which fits my 7D Mark II body I can then tether my camera to my BlackRapid strap while on monopod when needed occasionally.

Thanks to Richard @HoppyUK in particular for all your advice, and to others, and even to Ade @fracster (with whom I don't usually get on!) for suggesting Acratech in the first place in another thread - You just wanted to spend my money didn't you, Ade :D

I will in due course report my opinions about this gear.

Last edited:
Probably a bit late to the party, but I use a GV2 on my Gitzo 3542LS.

Not the most heavyweight of kit, but I have used it in Gimball mode a few times with my D4s and 400mm 2.8 VR attached. Its sturdy, locks down (so long as the balance is there - use an Arca plate) and doesn't sag much considering the weight.

For smaller lenses like my 24-70 or 70-200, I have no problem whatsoever.

Probably a bit late to the party, but I use a GV2 on my Gitzo 3542LS.

Not the most heavyweight of kit, but I have used it in Gimball mode a few times with my D4s and 400mm 2.8 VR attached. Its sturdy, locks down (so long as the balance is there - use an Arca plate) and doesn't sag much considering the weight.

For smaller lenses like my 24-70 or 70-200, I have no problem whatsoever.

....Never too late to parteee! :D

The GV2 seems to be exactly the same construction and offer the same functionality as the smaller GP-SS I am buying and as this video demonstrates. Don't be put off by the reviewer appearing to be in his pyjamas!

If I ever decide to get a bigger tripod it is likely to be a Gitzo Systematic similar to yours and my GP-SS should work well on it similarly to yours. But for now for insect close-ups my smaller and easily portable Manfrotto carbon is fine, again with the smaller Acratech GP-SS mounted on it. I'm not using any heavier lenses than 2 kg.

Last edited:
My Acratech GP-SS ballhead and Swift Clamp and Wimberley P-30 plate arrived this morning. I haven't mounted plate onto lens yet but have been playing with all the controls and next step is to mount the camera. I can use the head on either my monopod or my tripod and sell both my Manfrotto heads.

I must say that the smooth actions and tactile feel of both Acratech and Swift Clamp is extremely impressive. They really have paid enormous attention to detail on both products - The Swift clamp even has an Allen key adjustment to the 'angle of dangle' of your lens+body when on your BlackRapid (or similar) strap - I haven't set that up yet.

Any question or doubt I previously had about screw knob controls have totally disappeared - The big deeply-cogged rubber knobs are an absolute joy and only require a minimum of turns according to their function. Seemingly minor considerations like this are extremely important when you are outdoors in winter shooting wildlife which doesn't hang about for a picture even if you offer them 5 dollars to stay all night.

And the Wimberley plate is also high quality and well considered in its design.

Sorry, Manfrotto, your products are good but Acratech are a different league and although the proof of the pudding will be in the eating when I test it all in the fields, I anticipate that this is a case of me buying expensive but buying once.

So perhaps I ought to order that new Porsche Cayman afterall :D

Should I write a separate review later?

:)

My Acratech GP-SS ballhead and Swift Clamp and Wimberley P-30 plate arrived this morning. I haven't mounted plate onto lens yet but have been playing with all the controls and next step is to mount the camera. I can use the head on either my monopod or my tripod and sell both my Manfrotto heads.

I must say that the smooth actions and tactile feel of both Acratech and Swift Clamp is extremely impressive. They really have paid enormous attention to detail on both products - The Swift clamp even has an Allen key adjustment to the 'angle of dangle' of your lens+body when on your BlackRapid (or similar) strap - I haven't set that up yet.

Any question or doubt I previously had about screw knob controls have totally disappeared - The big deeply-cogged rubber knobs are an absolute joy and only require a minimum of turns according to their function. Seemingly minor considerations like this are extremely important when you are outdoors in winter shooting wildlife which doesn't hang about for a picture even if you offer them 5 dollars to stay all night.

And the Wimberley plate is also high quality and well considered in its design.

Sorry, Manfrotto, your products are good but Acratech are a different league and although the proof of the pudding will be in the eating when I test it all in the fields, I anticipate that this is a case of me buying expensive but buying once.

To be fair, prices are in a different league too. You've been unlucky in using that Manfrotto trigger-grip in situations that really don't suit it, but I've tested loads of Manfrotto products (own a few as well, including a trigger-grip!) and they're mostly very good.

So perhaps I ought to order that new Porsche Cayman afterall :D

Should I write a separate review later?

:)

You know it's the 911 you want :D

It's been interesting reading the 2 threads you've started about tripod heads @RedRobin - thanks for posting them!

I've been looking at tripod heads recently as well for when I replace the Sigma 150-500mm I've just sold. Had been looking at heads like the Acratech's that could be used as an alternative to a proper gimbal. I'd be interested to hear how stable it all is when used as a gimbal. Their specs seem to suggest it's OK for lenses up to 2KG. I'd be a bit concerned about all the weight hanging off one side of the head, especially with larger lenses.

Once you start looking at heads you realise just how much choice there is! It's a shame there aren't more stockists of some of the "famous" head brands as it feels like you've got to buy most of them completely blind.

To be fair, prices are in a different league too. You've been unlucky in using that Manfrotto trigger-grip in situations that really don't suit it, but I've tested loads of Manfrotto products (own a few as well, including a trigger-grip!) and they're mostly very good.

....Oh I agree - Manfrotto products are very well designed indeed and are good. You could say perhaps that if Manfrotto were producing Volkswagens (very good cars indeed), Acratech are producing Porsches. I own a VW and have driven several Porsches (including 911, Richard).

I have been testing (indoors without taking photos) my Acratech ballhead with Canon 400mm F/5.6 L + 1.4 III + 7D2 mounted and contrary to my expectations there is absolutely no slip! I think I may have got the ball tension just right. Later next week a slightly heavier Canon 100-400mm Mk2 will arrive - It's about 220 g heavier.

Last edited:
It's been interesting reading the 2 threads you've started about tripod heads @RedRobin - thanks for posting them!

....Cheers! It's good to hear that the threads I have started primarily for my own benefit have been helpful to others.

I've been looking at tripod heads recently as well for when I replace the Sigma 150-500mm I've just sold. Had been looking at heads like the Acratech's that could be used as an alternative to a proper gimbal. I'd be interested to hear how stable it all is when used as a gimbal. Their specs seem to suggest it's OK for lenses up to 2KG. I'd be a bit concerned about all the weight hanging off one side of the head, especially with larger lenses.

....It works like a gimbal does through two free moving planes, but you can't set it up to balance and walk away leaving it in loose equilibrium like a proper gimbal. It does give you very smooth and confidence inspiring fluidity though. I haven't tested the gimbal-esque feature fully yet but on my relatively flimsy lightweight Manfrotto MT293C4 tripod it doesn't topple over. That's with 2,685 g mounted = Canon 400mm F/5.6 L + 1.4x III + 7D2. Acratech's video shows the Canon Mk1 100-400mm on I think a 7D + battery pack, if I remember correctly. I'm expecting delivery of a Mk2 Canon 100-400mm later next week which is only about 220 g heavier in my combo and will then test it further. So, we are looking at just under 3 kg total and I'm not expecting any problems.

Once you start looking at heads you realise just how much choice there is! It's a shame there aren't more stockists of some of the "famous" head brands as it feels like you've got to buy most of them completely blind.

....Absolutely! And that's how this forum is so helpful. Sure, everyone has slightly different requirements, likes and dislikes, but it does help.

As always, your best choices are according to what type of photography you do or want to do.

@Alejandro Neil, continuing on from your interest in how successfully or not the Acratech ballhead works similarly to a gimbal....

I did some more indoor testing this evening and found that the way to get the best from it is to firstly adjust the tension/drag on the ball to your liking. Then swing the head through 90 degrees into the drop-slot and, leaving the tension/drag as set, loosen the main control knob. If you have fitted a long enough plate to the foot of your lens collar you can adjust the overall balance by sliding the plate (with lens and camera attached) to suit.

Contrary to my expectations and to scientific theory, the weight of camera+lens does not topple the tripod over even though it's off-centre and, as said previously, mine is a lightweight tripod. However, that is on a flat floor surface and you would need to take more care out in a field to keep the tripods legs evenly planted.

I am realising that the gimbal-esque position would be extremely good for fast ease of camera position and you would only have to loosen the lens collar to rotate the body into a landscape format view. It is however both easier and safer to release/place the whole camera combo from the ballhead when its deck is horizontal rather than vertical (as in the gimbal-esque position).

This gimbal-esque position would be perfect when settled either in a hide or when sat in one place with a bag-hide (camouflage burkah!) over you and camera.

What more can I say? - I haven't found fault with it yet and am keen for some decent light to go out and shoot some pictures.

Last edited:
After the excitement of unboxing and mounting etc yesterday, I read the short manual this morning.

It says: "The GV2 and GP ballheads can be used as a gimbal head with lenses up to a 400 F4.0 and as ballhead with lenses up to a 600 F4.0 " - It doesn't specify the lens manufacturer and I believe that Nikon lenses are usually slightly heavier than Canon (I could be wrong) but Sigma are notoriously massively heavier. The Acratech videos show Canon.

The warranty is a very reassuring 10 years.

I often wonder if the quality, high spec fluid video heads would work well as a gimbal with long lenses.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-benro-s8-series-video-head/p1551761

....Funny you should say that because once upon a time last year that's exactly what I thought! Am just off to the post office having sold a Manfrotto version which has a fluid cartridge foot as well. Very smooth and stable but a bit awkward if you are walking across fields and woods etc. And the video head is very heavy compared to a stills head.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...pod-mvm500a-with-fluid-head-foot-sold.576793/

After the excitement of unboxing and mounting etc yesterday, I read the short manual this morning.

It says: "The GV2 and GP ballheads can be used as a gimbal head with lenses up to a 400 F4.0 and as ballhead with lenses up to a 600 F4.0 " - It doesn't specify the lens manufacturer and I believe that Nikon lenses are usually slightly heavier than Canon (I could be wrong) but Sigma are notoriously massively heavier. The Acratech videos show Canon.

The warranty is a very reassuring 10 years.

Thanks for the extra information Robin. I don't believe Nikon do a 400mm F4 and the Canon version seems to weigh about 2KG. So, add a body, I guess they say roughly 3KG would be the limit for using it as a gimbal. In theory it sounds like a very nice solution if you've got the right lens. The fact it sounds very easy to clean off and maintain is another bonus.

One lens I've been looking at is the Sigma 150 - 600mm and that would weigh about 3.5KG to 4KG with a body. I believe the weight also shifts forward when using that lens at 600mm so I'm not yet fully convinced the Acratech would work for me.

The 10 year warranty suggests the Acratech should last a VERY long time.

I often wonder if the quality, high spec fluid video heads would work well as a gimbal with long lenses.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-benro-s8-series-video-head/p1551761

I've looked (online) at that exact head whilst I've been researching Ade. I'm convinced it would work for long lenses and would be able to hold a Sigma 150-600 3KG lens at any angle and it costs less than £200. A bargain for a good quality tripod head. There is one rather large problem though ... it's massive! It weighs 2.4KG! So it's 1KG heavier than a Wimberley and 2KG heavier than the Acratech Robin has bought. You'd need a tripod capable of holding it and I wouldn't want to carry it far.

So far I've found ballheads from Acratech, Markins, FLM and Uniqball that can be adapted/used in some way to perform as a "gimbal". Plus the Benro fluid head mentioned above.

How do people level their gimbals? Is the best way to just rotate the lens in it's tripod collar a little bit, or faff with the tripod legs, or buy a levelling base?

Last edited:
Back