Beginner Advice from Nikon users please..........

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Good morning,
I currently own a D5300 which has an Expeed 4 image processor, my question is, would I notice the difference in image quality between an Expeed 4 and an Expeed 3?
The reason I ask is because I have the chance to buy a D7100 which I "think" I want but I am struggling to find a reason why. Let me explain as I see it, The D7100 has the Expeed 3 processor, I mainly shoot landscape type images, I don't shoot sport or wildlife (can't afford the lenses!!!) so I would think the newer the processor the better, but the D7100 has the weather sealed body, more focus points, greater shutter speed range, top LCD, better view finder, AF micro adjustment, all of which are very nice additions BUT, will they help me improve my image quality with the type of photography I do? The only thing I would really like, which is not available in the D5300, is to be able to see is the histogram in Live view, which the D7100 doesn't do either!
As I re-read this I think I have answered my own question.................

Thanks in advance
Simon

I think those camera share the same sensor so the image quality will be about the same. Most of the extra features you mention won't help you with landscape photography.

The main things you are looking for are dynamic range, image noise and possible resolution but I would say that's the least important.

I'm interested as to why you would want to see the histogram in 'live view' if you are taking landscapes?? Well, it's actually 2 questions - 1. why do you use live view when taking landscapes and 2. why the need to see the histogram? Just curious!

I'm interested as to why you would want to see the histogram in 'live view' if you are taking landscapes?? Well, it's actually 2 questions - 1. why do you use live view when taking landscapes and 2. why the need to see the histogram? Just curious!

Live view is used because it's easier than staring through a viewfinder especially if the camera is low on a tripod etc.

The histogram teaches you about the image. It tells you how its exposed and if darks and highlights are clipped or not etc. Read up on how to read a histogram for the full explination.

Live view is used because it's easier than staring through a viewfinder especially if the camera is low on a tripod etc.

The histogram teaches you about the image. It tells you how its exposed and if darks and highlights are clipped or not etc. Read up on how to read a histogram for the full explination.

What he said......:)

over the years I can honestly say I have either owned or used the majority of pro-sumer bodies from canon and Nikon both DSLR and mirrorless and have dabbled with Panasonic and Olympus as well , rest assured there IS NO magic panacea thats going to make your photos any better higher m/p is great if you need to crop , but it brings its own drawbacks you need to be more accurate in both shooting and processing . mirrorless is great but with limitations , full frame again a different ball game needing usually more expensive glass .. buy to your budget no use buying a top end body if your going to stick crap glass on it or if your processing files on a windows 95 computer .. ,and one really really good hint that I see so much of in the camera club .. do not spend £1000 on a lens then stick a £5 e.bay filter on it to protect it . take them off throw then in the bin and learn to look after you gear

Another reason is the mirror will already be up so no need to use mirror upmode to cut down on vibrations induced by raising the mirror before opening the shutter. You can also set the display to show areas lacking detail such as burnt out highlights or black shadows- known as the blinkys. The OVF can’t give you that information,

Last edited:
Good morning,
I currently own a D5300 which has an Expeed 4 image processor, my question is, would I notice the difference in image quality between an Expeed 4 and an Expeed 3?
The reason I ask is because I have the chance to buy a D7100 which I "think" I want but I am struggling to find a reason why. Let me explain as I see it, The D7100 has the Expeed 3 processor, I mainly shoot landscape type images, I don't shoot sport or wildlife (can't afford the lenses!!!) so I would think the newer the processor the better, but the D7100 has the weather sealed body, more focus points, greater shutter speed range, top LCD, better view finder, AF micro adjustment, all of which are very nice additions BUT, will they help me improve my image quality with the type of photography I do? The only thing I would really like, which is not available in the D5300, is to be able to see is the histogram in Live view, which the D7100 doesn't do either!

Thanks in advance
Simon

It does not matter.

That's like comparing last year's car to this year's car and wondering if the extra horsepower that comes with the new model would be helpful.

It is understandable to compare the Nikon D1 against the D5, it is understandable to compare the D100 against the D500, as they are years apart, but D5300 and D7100 are roughly more or less about the same year, of course one model will have little more advanced features than the other one.

But remember that it is not the camera that helps improve your image quality for you, it is you who improve your image quality. For example, of course, one model with a better image processor could do a better job than the other model, but when you view the images, you may be wondering why, despite having a better camera, your images don't look good, only to find out that you forgotten to clean the front of the lens yourself.

And beside, even if we all are after the best image quality, we're all wasting our time. Of course, there are people who have 20/20 eyesight and would approve of your image quality, but there are other people with poor eyesight who won't notice the difference.

Can I make a suggestion?

If you are not selling the D5300 and if you do have spare cash for a D7100, why not keep the D5300 and buy the D7100, thus you could do with using one, while the other acts like a spare camera, like with most photographers who have two cameras? You could always use both, and see how they goes, then finally make a decision which one will be your main camera, and which will become your backup camera.

The main reason to go from 5xxx to 7xxx is the controls are considerably better for people who use manual mode a lot.

You wont find anything much in image quality

Good morning,

Thanks in advance
Simon

"I "think" I want but I am struggling to find a reason why"

Don't trouble yourself too much about that. With experience many of us just decide we want a piece of kit and to hell with the reason.

Back