David Thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
At present I've got the following kit -

Sony Alpha 100 with 18-70mm kit lens
Minolta 75-300 4.5-5.6 (D)
Sony GN56 Flash (£290)
Sigma 400mm 5.6 APO

I really like the camera and some of the features like steadyshot are superb and have had some good results, however, I feel it's not quite going to leave me room to 'grow'. I love doing sport and wildlife but i find the autofocus struggles especially with tracking. In addition, I'd like to get some better lenses but there's nowhere near the availability for second hand kit as there is for Canon or Nikon.

I'd really appreciate some advice about whether people think I should stick with what I've got or try and get it flogged and make the switch now while I can still get a decent price for the sony. I've been thinking of something like a 30D if I can scrape enough from the sale of my kit and then gradually rebuild the lens and flash options. All advice gratefully received.

I'm in the same boat but I think you should hold out a little longer. There will be 2 new models out within the next 12 months hopefully which will offer you an upgrade path. They're an unknown quantity at the minute but being Sony they should be alright. They're also increasing their lineup of lenses and as quantity goes up prices should come down. You'll also find with the like os Sigma and Tamron that they're waiting to see Sonys commitment and market share increase. As it does they'll start to produce more 3rd party lenses so you're option will increase. There's still a lot of 2nd hand minolta/sony gear floating around on ebay if you've got lens upgradeitis.

2 new sony models? Where did you hear about that?

All over the web. Try Dyxum and dpreview. One high end amatuer/semi-pro coming hopefully by christmas and one pro camera coming next year.

cheers, but wouldn't that mean that I'd still be needing to sell my current body to upgrade to the new one to address the problems I've currently got and I'm also worried that once the new ones are out the resale value of current model will fall! It does seem to me that it's now or never.

Hi Dizzy,
I was fortunate when I bought my Alpha, I was starting from scratch with an AF system (my previous 35mm SLR is a manual focus Contax) and I was looking to buy about a week before the A100 was released.
I had a limited budget and obviously wanted the highest spec I could get for my budget with enough left over to buy necessary accessories. I wanted a 30D but couldn't justify the cost. I got the two lens kit at an aggressive introductory price.

I then bought used off eBay:
50mm f1.7
70-210 Beercan
135mm f2.8
Sigma 170-500
Sigma 90mm Macro

The combined total for this was less than it would have cost me for a 30D and one IS lens. And all of my lenses are stabilised ;-)

I know that prices for classic KM lenses have rocketted with the uptake of the A100 but some of these lenses are legendary and are still cheaper than the equivelants from manufacturers that are more in demand.
I have been frustrated by some of the idiosyncrasies of the A100 but have learned how to overcome these and find the Sony to be a very credible alternative to the major players.

I've been watching with interest as the story of the two new bodies unfolds but I think I'm more interested in the lens story right now. Sony have allegedly admitted that the production of their SSM lenses is a problem. They are currently hand made at the rate of one a day! Which explains the ludicrous price. Once they have reached volume production then they will have to drop to a more realistic price but more to the point, as Kev says once Sigma et all are satisfied of the future of the A mount then I'm sure they will commit to produce HSM lenses for the A mount.

I think that there is a future if you aren't in too much of a hurry.

cheers, but wouldn't that mean that I'd still be needing to sell my current body to upgrade to the new one to address the problems I've currently got and I'm also worried that once the new ones are out the resale value of current model will fall! It does seem to me that it's now or never.

Better lenses like the Minolta/Sony SSM ones will help your AF a certain amount but will come at a price. Even faster 2.8 lenses wiill help the AF compared to what you have at the minute.

I doubt the AF on a 30D is significantly better to be honest. If you want fast AF you're looking at Nikon D2 series or Canon 1D series IMO.

As for your current body falling in price once the new ones are out then yes it might. But when you can get the silver body and lens from Argos for £299 they ain't gonna fall much further I'm afraid. The new cameras aren't a replacement from the A100 though, they're to expand the range and provide an upgrade path. The A100 won't be replaced for a while yet. It'll be the influx of used A100s being upgraded that will bring the 2nd hand price down. Besides, if you buy a 30D it'll fall in price when the 40D comes out.

Cheers guys!

Do any 30D owners have comments?

Nah they're too busy wishing they'd bought Nikons.

lmao I wasn't saying that the 30D was my only option, just not sure what the Nikon alternative would be. D80?

Back