Advice/Help Needed

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
I have the chance to go snorkeling in the British Virgin Islands later this year. I am taking my camera Canon 40d. What I am after is some advice and help as to what I can use so I can take my camera with me to get some shots while snorkeling. I don't have a great deal of money to spend on a housing/bag what can you recommend for me?
Thank you

Neil

Don't use your DSLR. It's too difficult. You can't look through the viewfinder when you're wearing a mask, but on the 40D you have no AF in Live View. Get yourself a little waterproof compact.

Don't use your DSLR. It's too difficult. You can't look through the viewfinder when you're wearing a mask, but on the 40D you have no AF in Live View. Get yourself a little waterproof compact.

Thank you Stewart,

Any ideas on what compact to use/get?

Neil

Sorry, no ideas. The only time I did this seriously, I borrowed a Fuji FinePix F100fd with a dedicated waterproof housing. It got the job done, and I think the person who owns it - who is more knowledgeable about these things than I am - may have bought it because it is good for underwater use. But I'm not really sure. For all I know there might be any number of cameras out there which would do an equally good job.

Sorry, no ideas. The only time I did this seriously, I borrowed a Fuji FinePix F100fd with a dedicated waterproof housing. It got the job done, and I think the person who owns it - who is more knowledgeable about these things than I am - may have bought it because it is good for underwater use. But I'm not really sure. For all I know there might be any number of cameras out there which would do an equally good job.

Hi Stewart,

Thank you for the fast reply and the info(y)

Neil

what's your budget?

i've just come back from holiday and brought an Olympus Tough 3000 with full international guarantee, less than 7 days old and not used in the sea and only a few splashes in the pool with my 2 year old. would consider selling it if interested.

I'd look for underwater housing (good used deals on ebay?!) and get Tokina ultrawide lens. Anything longer is pointless under water. MF should be perfectly adequate and easy with UVAs - just make sure you know the basics.

what's your budget?

i've just come back from holiday and brought an Olympus Tough 3000 with full international guarantee, less than 7 days old and not used in the sea and only a few splashes in the pool with my 2 year old. would consider selling it if interested.

Hi,
Thank you for the offer. I am going to have a good look around before I make my mind up.

Neil

I'd look for underwater housing (good used deals on ebay?!) and get Tokina ultrawide lens. Anything longer is pointless under water. MF should be perfectly adequate and easy with UVAs - just make sure you know the basics.

Hi,
I will have a look on eBay see if there is anything there. I was thinking of using a Sigma 10-20 failing that the only other ultra wide lens I have is a 8mm fisheye:LOL:

Hi,
Thank you for the offer. I am going to have a good look around before I make my mind up.

Neil

No worries
I'll try and see if I got any sample underwater shots as an example

edit

Last edited:
In the end I have bought a Dicapac which will fit both my wife's camera (Fuji HS10) and mine. Hopefully will post some results later on in the year. Thank you for all you replies and info.

Neil

Hi,
I have the chance to go snorkeling in the British Virgin Islands later this year. I am taking my camera Canon 40d. What I am after is some advice and help as to what I can use so I can take my camera with me to get some shots while snorkeling. I don't have a great deal of money to spend on a housing/bag what can you recommend for me?
Thank you

Neil

That's easy, get yourself a GoPro HD :)

Watch This !!

Last edited:
Back