Advice neede on first digital camera

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone, looking to buy my first digital camera, i have a very tight budget and was wondering if anybody had any advice. i've checked out ebay and the one that seems readily available in my price range is the canon eos 300D (used) also i currently have a eos300 will the lenses fit a 300D???
Thanks, Mark

Hi everyone, looking to buy my first digital camera, i have a very tight budget and was wondering if anybody had any advice. i've checked out ebay and the one that seems readily available in my price range is the canon eos 300D (used) also i currently have a eos300 will the lenses fit a 300D???
Thanks, Mark

I have a Eos 300 film camera too, and yes, the kit lens you have for that (most likely the 28-80mm) will fit any Canon DSLR because it's a Canon EF lens, compatible with the EF lens mount on all of Canon's Eos SLRs, film and digital, made since 1987.

However, when you use it on any of the xxxD series (like the 300D) or xxD series cameras, you will effectively get a different focal length range compared to what you're used to seeing on your old Eos 300, because the 300D has a "crop" sensor, which is smaller in dimensions than 35mm film and the sensor in high-end "full frame" DSLRs, meaning that you have to multiply the focal lengths by 1.6 to get an idea of how they would look if using film or full frame. For example, your 28-80mm on a 300d would be like a 45-128mm on a film camera. That's why cameras like the 300D usually come with a 18-55mm kit lens, which is like a 29-88mm on a film camera.

For an in-depth explanation, check this out

Basically, your old lens will be fine, but it won't offer you wide angle. (y)

Back