antonroland

Inspector Gadget
Name
Anton
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks
To all you good people with whom I have had a chat:
I would appreciate any and all advice I can get from you folks as the wife and I are planning a visit to th UK in June/July next year.

Obviously Duxford and the BBMF will be high on the agenda (and Harrods of course)

Advice on nice but not too pricey hotels in and around London and up north(Highlands) will really be appreciated.

where are you planning in the HIghlands?

Hi dod
Don't really know yet.... wanna see all the pretty places if that makes sense(I'm sure there are many)

Also would like to get off the beaten track and see the real thing!!

Howzit Peter
Cannot really answer that one now but will keep you posted
Rough guess at this stage is:Duxford and BBMF,Harrods, some London,Southhampton,Scottish highlands,possibly Wales(Brecon beacons),If budget allows would also like to see Harland & Wolff shipyard in Belfast.

Generally I suppose we would like to see more countryside than cities

Cheers
Anton

I avoid staying in Cities/Hotels if at all possible . I hit the nearby villages etc and stay at a Country Inn with real ale and a good menu. There is something so civilised about having a excellent meal , just the right amount of alcohol then wandering upstairs to bed while somebody else cleans up :D

I avoid staying in Cities/Hotels if at all possible . I hit the nearby villages etc and stay at a Country Inn with real ale and a good menu. There is something so civilised about having a excellent meal , just the right amount of alcohol then wandering upstairs to bed while somebody else cleans up :D

Hi Mrgubby
Sounds exactly like what we would like to do(y)
Will keep you good folks posted on a more accurate itinerary closer the time

Peter thanks for that website, exactly what we would like to see.is Dorset and Dover close to one another?

Thanks for your trouble guys(y)
Should also have thought(DUH:bonk: :bonk: )...English channel...Dover...Calais:bang:

Grendel this lake district also looks fab...I'm battling to get decent maps that show me what Iwould like to see..
How far is the lake district from the south coast?

Looks like we will spend a day or 2 in London,about 5 or so days on the south coast and another 5 or so days in Scotland.
Is it a big effort to pop over to Belfast?

Hi Anton,

You'd be better to stop there on your way to Scotland. See the map on this web site for location
www.lake-district.gov.uk/

For scenic stuff you can't beat northumberland, beautiful coastline, castles and countryside. As for BBMF, unless your taking in an airshow then I don't think you'll see them because I don't think the public can get access to RAF Waddington to visit the flight. might be wrong but I'm pretty sure they don't take visitors at work.

Thanks Grendel
Sounds fair to do it that way and looks beautiful there!

Kev Thanks for that I was hoping to get them at Duxford as they did a flypast this year or is that not an annual thing?

Thanks Grendel
Sounds fair to do it that way and looks beautiful there!

Kev Thanks for that I was hoping to get them at Duxford as they did a flypast this year or is that not an annual thing?

Have a look at Shuttleworth , I had a great time there & from what I've heard you get much closer to the aircraft than at Duxford etc

Oh yes also
What ways are there to travel (fairly)cheaply because it seems we might just do the Land's end to John o' groats thing.
Is car rental an option given the amount of miles?

Have a look at Shuttleworth , I had a great time there & from what I've heard you get much closer to the aircraft than at Duxford etc

Thanks have saved to favs immediately,will also keep checking to see when their 2007 program appears!

Sorry Anton thought you wanted to see BBMF seperately from Duxford. I'd imagine they'll be at Duxford next year whenever ther airshow is. You could always look at the RAF museum at Hendon (think it's Hendon) or the museum at Cosford is pretty big.

Sounds like you're gonna have a very full itinerary :)
As for Hotels, if you are willing to take the risk of a late booking at a discount price, I always use laterooms.com as you can book a hotel room at a bargain price. The last time I went to London, I stayed in a £300 per night hotel room for £80 ;)

Back