Advice needed for British Grand Prix

Name
Ted
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All.
It's been (literally) years since I looked in here.
But I need your advice.
My good lady wife has bought me tickets for Silverstone!! Wahey!!
I've never been and want to make the most of the trip.I plan to sped some of Saturday looking for a good spot for SUnday's race, but don't want to waste time wandering around if I can avoid it.
Does anyone have tips for good viewing spots? We don't have grandstand tickets (just general admission) but do have inner track access.

Any advice gratefully accepted.
Longest lens I have which I'm happy with is 300mm but I do have a 500mm mirror lens available. I'd have thought these would get me close enough in wherever I end up standing?

Thanks guys! That's a wonderful guide. If my images are half as good, no 10% as good as his, I'll be made up.
I've had some great results over the years at various rallies, but those cars are way slower than F1.

OK so I feel a bit embarrassed giving advice after you've seen the stuff from Mr Henchman (I can't get the guide to open though), but Silverstone isn't great for photography tbh due to fencing being just about everywhere. There's a spot at Luffield where you can get fence free shots, otherwise you could do with a long lens with wide aperture to 'hide' the fencing. ND filters help keep the aperture wide if you want some slow shutter pans. I found the end of Stowe a good place, Becketts and got a couple of 'decent' shots from farm.

I was lucky enough to go in 2017 and it was superb, I hope that Lewis has a good weekend because the crowd is electric if he does. I would suggest having Saturday as your photography day and then spend Sunday enjoying the race. I'd like to go back again to watch F1 at some point, but this year I'm going to the Moto GP instead (y)

Last edited:
Well I was going to start a very similar thread to this!

Going to my first Grand Prix this year - all three days, but my intention is to do most of my photography during the free practice sessions and actually concentrate on watching the action during qualifying and the race, because shooting at Donington has taught me that when you're taking pictures you're not really taking in what's happening in the race.

Friday will be my most roving day I think. I want to see them going through Maggots/Beckets and also Copse for the high speed change of direction. Any other places recommended to get some good shots? (I've heard about the fences, I'm just going to make the best of it).

Saturday I have infield access, so I'm thinking somewhere around Village or the Loop for some close-up shots?

Sunday, as I say I'm going to put away the camera and watch the race. Any recommendations for the best place to do that? I'm thinking of somewhere near the main straight for the sight and sound of the start, and also being close to the podium for the end of the race.

Here's a question I'd like a bit of advice on though - where's the best place to watch/shoot the Red Arrows display before the race?

Well I was going to start a very similar thread to this!

Going to my first Grand Prix this year - all three days, but my intention is to do most of my photography during the free practice sessions and actually concentrate on watching the action during qualifying and the race, because shooting at Donington has taught me that when you're taking pictures you're not really taking in what's happening in the race.

Friday will be my most roving day I think. I want to see them going through Maggots/Beckets and also Copse for the high speed change of direction. Any other places recommended to get some good shots? (I've heard about the fences, I'm just going to make the best of it).

Saturday I have infield access, so I'm thinking somewhere around Village or the Loop for some close-up shots?

Sunday, as I say I'm going to put away the camera and watch the race. Any recommendations for the best place to do that? I'm thinking of somewhere near the main straight for the sight and sound of the start, and also being close to the podium for the end of the race.

Here's a question I'd like a bit of advice on though - where's the best place to watch/shoot the Red Arrows display before the race?
That's what I did, got the photos out of the way Friday and Saturday and watched the race on Sunday. From my experience Copse isn't great, you're quite a way from the track. The infield sounds good, I've never got access to the infield and apparently they've stopped you going there for the Moto GP so won't even get the chance when I go next month. Cospe is apparently good from the infield rather than the outside though.

Becketts is great to see the change of direction, but like most places in Silverstone the fencing isn't your friend.

As for the Red Arrows you should be able to see them from most places tbh, especially if they're not restricted to a low display. I was stood between Stowe and Vale and thought that was pretty good. I was actually sat at Club for the race but decided that this area was better to see the planes rather than being sat in the stand.

Thanks all.
JayJay, we have infield tickets too and I'm trying to decide if I want to be inside or out for the race. Don't want to loose too much time exploring on the Saturday. Good idea about using FP for photos, although I'll probably get some shots during qualy too (I can't get there on Friday, for FP 1 & 2).
Interesting about Copse, I've looked at the views from the car and Copse inside looks quite good.

I'll have two bodies with me, one with either 500mm reflector (f8) or 70 - 300mm zoom. the other with either kit 18-55mm or a 28- 80mm. So I can cover most options....hopefully.

Depending on how committed you are then you should be able to cover a good amount of track on Friday. When I used to visit I would start at the exit of Club corner and in that 90 minute session work my way around to Stowe. There are a good range of shots here from low down through the fence to looking down from the grandstands. For the second session get up to Maggotts/Becketts where there are a couple of camera holes in the fence plus if the light is right you can also shoot through the fence.

Spend a bit of time in the grandstand and then head up towards Copse. There is a nice exit shot which can be had through the fence a little before you get to the concrete standing area. There are then a few spots where tip toe might get you above the fence but really don't be shy when trying to shoot through it.

My last visit was in 2013 and the shots, all from the public areas are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jwbphotog/albums/72157634417222426

I recall that session one was very wet with little running so most of these were shot in session 2. If it is wet then ignore my advice about starting at the exit of Club. That is the start of the lap and after pit entry. If it is wet then cars will go for sighting laps which means they'll pit before getting to you. That was quite frustrating.

OK so I feel a bit embarrassed giving advice after you've seen the stuff from Mr Henchman (I can't get the guide to open though), but Silverstone isn't great for photography tbh due to fencing being just about everywhere. There's a spot at Luffield where you can get fence free shots, otherwise you could do with a long lens with wide aperture to 'hide' the fencing. ND filters help keep the aperture wide if you want some slow shutter pans. I found the end of Stowe a good place, Becketts and got a couple of 'decent' shots from farm.

I was lucky enough to go in 2017 and it was superb, I hope that Lewis has a good weekend because the crowd is electric if he does. I would suggest having Saturday as your photography day and then spend Sunday enjoying the race. I'd like to go back again to watch F1 at some point, but this year I'm going to the Moto GP instead (y)

Yeah, true. Mr Henchmen is biased towards Silverstone as its his local track. But Silverstone isn't a great place to do motorsport photography.

Back