Beginner Advice needed for first gig shoot

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I have spoken with a couple of local bars that have a lot of Rock bands on & asked them if I could possibly take pictures for free at their venue, so that I can give them & the bands some free promotion on social media, whilst progressing with my hobby. Both of the bars have said that they would love for me to do this as they have never had anyone ask to take pictures before, they have approached some professionals, but the local professionals are already tied to other clubs in the city and bigger venues. I made sure that I asked the venues first as whilst I really want to progress with a hobby, I didn't want to tread on any professionals toes where they rely on gigs for their main source of income.

Anyhow I was thinking of sticking my 450D on manual at full ISO (1600) as the venues prefer for flash not to be used, set on AI Servo mode as it is a Rock / Metal gig & use the Nifty Fifty at F2.8.

Would this combination work, or am I missing something ?

Many thanks

John

Depending on the lighting you may be better keeping that ISO below 1600, but that's up to you! Noise can look quite nice on gig shots. Either that or bump the aperture slighty... f/2.8 will give you nice DoF, but in my experience it can lead you to missing focus on shots, especially when your subjects are moving. Generally I wouldn't shoot anything wider than f/4, but I shoot full frame so am granted that luxury.

Depending on the lighting you may be better keeping that ISO below 1600, but that's up to you! Noise can look quite nice on gig shots. Either that or bump the aperture slighty... f/2.8 will give you nice DoF, but in my experience it can lead you to missing focus on shots, especially when your subjects are moving. Generally I wouldn't shoot anything wider than f/4, but I shoot full frame so am granted that luxury.

Thank you ever so much for the advice there Eddy :), I know that I am jumping straight into the fire as it were but trying to get models or people in general to agree for a practice shoot has been a nightmare with people refusing or cancelling at the last minute, so I figured that if I got permission to take pictures at a place where people want to have pictures done, would be an ideal starting point, which could well lead on to one one shoots or group shots at a later date. Yes that is some luxury to be shooting on a full frame :D

Maybe try to get in on sound checks to experiment with settings etc before gigs, gives you a good idea of how the band acts on stage, where to get the best shots etc, Also practice with new, 'unknown' bands that are just starting out, they will often be glad of the photos too but it's the best way to perfect your technique.

Just remember that low key local bands will not have the lighting set up off the big stadium and concert hall set ups and believe me the lighting is a real problem at some gigs. I am glad you dont intend to use flash.....destroys the ambience, upsets bands and promoters as well as the audience.

Dont forget that you don't always need to be inn the mosh pit to get good pics, try from the back of the room with a telephoto, meet the band when they arrive at the venue (if they are not late!), some may even have the time to talk to you!

ISO - vary it, although at some venues you might find you need a lot more than 1600 ISO to get good usable pics! But not always. Use manual and play it by ear. There are few set rules but it is great fun experimenting with blur (photos, not the band). It will be likely very dark and you will need to know your camera inside out. Not recommended to change lenses whilst at venue and beware of overly officious bouncers even when you have the ok from the management.

Good luck and enjoy!

Maybe try to get in on sound checks to experiment with settings etc before gigs, gives you a good idea of how the band acts on stage, where to get the best shots etc, Also practice with new, 'unknown' bands that are just starting out, they will often be glad of the photos too but it's the best way to perfect your technique.

Just remember that low key local bands will not have the lighting set up off the big stadium and concert hall set ups and believe me the lighting is a real problem at some gigs. I am glad you dont intend to use flash.....destroys the ambience, upsets bands and promoters as well as the audience.

Dont forget that you don't always need to be inn the mosh pit to get good pics, try from the back of the room with a telephoto, meet the band when they arrive at the venue (if they are not late!), some may even have the time to talk to you!

ISO - vary it, although at some venues you might find you need a lot more than 1600 ISO to get good usable pics! But not always. Use manual and play it by ear. There are few set rules but it is great fun experimenting with blur (photos, not the band). It will be likely very dark and you will need to know your camera inside out. Not recommended to change lenses whilst at venue and beware of overly officious bouncers even when you have the ok from the management.

Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks for the tips guys it is much appreciated :). Well I took a few shots last night in an extremely small & dark venue, my 18-55 lens didn't cope at all when taking pictures, regardless of what the Aperture or shutter speed was on 1600 ISO, sadly my Camera only goes upto 1600, so had to make deal with what I had without the use of flash on the Nifty Fifty lens. The pictures I took were from slightly above as the little floor there was near the stage, already had spectators packed to the brim to the extent where they were on the stairs leading to the part I was on. Anyhow here are some of the shots I took, I don't expect many positive comments but will share them as it is the only way I will improve :). Next time I will be going to a bigger venue that has better stage lighting and a larger capacity floor that very rarely gets filled.

IMG_3627 by JWAR1976, on Flickr

IMG_3592 by JWAR1976, on Flickr

IMG_3625 by JWAR1976, on Flickr

All shots 11 in total

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123892097@N03/sets/72157653396716205/with/17869328839/

I would invest in a new camera, sorry :(, you might have a 2.8 lens but the camera is letting down in the ISO department

Last edited:
I would invest in a new camera, sorry :(, you might have a 2.8 lens but the camera is letting down in the ISO department

No need to be sorry, I had a feeling that would be the case which I don't have an issue with as the 450D was given to me. Even tho I have had the 450D for almost 2 years now, I still haven't found my favourite aspect of photography, but a higher ISO would help with most subjects where you cannot use flash. I will have to start saving for another body with a higher ISO, they can be got for quite a reasonable price used so will put that on the to get list :).

Not photography related, but congratulations on your Vaping achievement, 521 days for me :D

I wouldn't be too disappointed with the first outing.

Shot number 2 is bright enough (too much background visible) to have cut back significantly on the ISO, but I appreciate that the lighting can change momentarily.

Go closer on the faces/expressions when you can.

....and dont expect a bigger venue will be necessarily better, just different.

I wouldn't be too disappointed with the first outing.

Shot number 2 is bright enough (too much background visible) to have cut back significantly on the ISO, but I appreciate that the lighting can change momentarily.

Go closer on the faces/expressions when you can.

....and dont expect a bigger venue will be necessarily better, just different.

As soon as I got to the venue and had a look at the stage I had a hunch that I was going to run into problems when I saw how a little amount of people could cram the floor area with no chance of getting downstairs to where the band was playing, so am not too disappointed. With shot number 2, I admit that all shots had added tone and clarity during post processing before I uploaded the images, so that could have been me adding too much in Lightroom. With the other venue I have been there quite a few times before & there lighting is not only better equipped but better spread on the stage for increased illumination. Still practise makes perfect :)

EDIT : Just uploaded the image as taken before I put it through Lightroom

1 (1 of 1) by JWAR1976, on Flickr

Last edited:
Lighting in not necessarily down to the venue, as some artists like their own look and arrange their own, even at small venues and this can negatively impact on the shoot, as it is sometimes backlighting rather than at the front where you need it.

Lighting in not necessarily down to the venue, as some artists like their own look and arrange their own, even at small venues and this can negatively impact on the shoot, as it is sometimes backlighting rather than at the front where you need it.

Good point, I hadn't thought about that :)

Back