Advice needed for photographing floodlit rugby match

Edit My Images
No
heya,

I've just been given the chance to be pitchside for the England students vs French universities rugby match... i've photographed sports before for fun and played rugby so i know what to look out for.

i currently have a 550D and ct am planning to hire a quality telephoto lens for this match as there is a lot riding on this opportunity.

the match starts at 7:30pm so will be floodlit and dark so it must be fast... im looking at the canon 300mm 2.8,
the canon 70-200mm 2.8,
or the sigma 120-300mm 2.8,

does anyone have any suggestions as to the best option, i can only afford one of these as its not a paid job, im leaning towards the sigma as it gives me more options but how does it compare on image quality?

any advice would be much appreciated

cheers

rich

If you only have one body then the 120-300

Are you shooting one team or both teams..in that i mean.. is your main subjects to be one team or nutural? If one team you will gte away wiht 120-300 but in reality 300mm is a little short for the whole pitch.

our aim is to provide coverage of the match so gona assume it needs to be balanced, though maybe a little towards the England students.

i do have touchline access though...

There is a small chance i can borrow another body off a friend but i only have a monopod so not sure what i'd be doing with it when not shooting.

the thing that worries me is that the sigma has no stabilisation, though i will be using a monopod so don't know if this will be a massive issue.

cheers

Well first off you do NOT use image stabalisation for sports.. so I wouldnt worry about that. Image stabalisation make autofucus slower so would hinder you.. plus its only of use if you cant get enough shutter speed.. for sport you need a decent shutter to stop the action..

Rugby shooters have one long lens on a monopod and the other maybe a 70-200 around neck or on lap or whatever

so ideally i want a 400mm 2.8 and the 70-200mm 2.8

if not then will manage with the 120-300

unfortunately there is over £100 price difference in the rental options....

is there anything else i should take into consideration such as filters? sorry for all the novice questions - I've got this one chance to get this right and if i do it should amount to a lot more. Only got a few weeks to practice too

cheers

just realised you'll be using a full frame body, mine's a 1.6x crop sensor so the focal length is going to be affected. would this mean i can use 300mm to cover the whole pitch or is it still going to be too short.

cheers

Your the second person this week to say that... the 1dmkIV has a 1.3 crop sensor and certainly isnt full frame..

300 really depends where you are sitting.. I ahve used a 300 at rugby by sitting around half way

so ideally i want a 400mm 2.8 and the 70-200mm 2.8

if not then will manage with the 120-300

unfortunately there is over £100 price difference in the rental options....

is there anything else i should take into consideration such as filters? sorry for all the novice questions - I've got this one chance to get this right and if i do it should amount to a lot more. Only got a few weeks to practice too

cheers

ideally a 400mm but not within everyones capabilities

you already listed the best options

A) if you can get an extra body then two bodies.. long lens and short lens

B) if only one body then the 120-300 sigma is the one..

Your already aware it will need to be 2.8

So thats about how it stands:) IMHO that is.. we do have sports photogrpahers on these forums in the bristol area who have probably worked the ground your going to.. they might be able to offer even more ideas :)

Rich

If you have to sit at one end he 300 will not be long enough to cover both ends properly.

However I think you'd be better off with a 300 or the 120-300 (as per Tony's advice) and concentrate on gettin action that is nearer to you.

Back