Advice needed on indoor Cage, MMA and Wrestling photography.

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Ive been asked by a few mates if i could follow them for some photograpy, i only have a 50mm 1.8 and a 17-135 f3.5-5.6 with a canon 7d camera.

Now would i be ok for some good shots? Should i get some thing like the 17-55 f2.8 or 17-40 to f4?

I will be close to the ring, no more than 15ft away from the cage.

Ive never done this sort before, all advice is welcome.

After just getting in from a test run shooting some Thai boxing training a fast lens all the way. OK I know I'm on a 500D which isn't known for its high ISO performance but even up at 3200 I couldn't freeze the action. Then again the large gym was lit by 6 fluorescent tubes. Brown ceiling but fortunately white sloping bits and white walls so I had a bit of fun bouncing the flash, first look at the image in the camera the mate I was doing it for and his teacher whatever they are called seemed happy.

Ohh forgot to say I was using a 24-70 f/2.8L

Last edited:
Ive been asked by a few mates if i could follow them for some photograpy, i only have a 50mm 1.8 and a 17-135 f3.5-5.6 with a canon 7d camera.

Now would i be ok for some good shots? Should i get some thing like the 17-55 f2.8 or 17-40 to f4?

I will be close to the ring, no more than 15ft away from the cage.

Ive never done this sort before, all advice is welcome.

I dont know where your going but i will take a guess the lighting will be poor.. I would use the 50mm 1.8 perfect for cage fights.. But you need to be up close at the cage.. pretty rubish from anywhere else.. have a look at mine in the fight-pic section of my website :)

I do a bit of fighting as well, faster lenses are better but you can ram up the ISO, you need to keep a fast shutter speed, i shot a TKD comp at 400th sec and i was still getting some blur on a few of the rings because of the light.

ISO nice and high you should be fine.

50mm will be fine but you may have a lot of cropping to do later to get the best out of them..

Mac

Hi. As Kipax says, you will need to be right up close to the cage, otherwise all you'll get is the chainlink. Either that, or a stepladder and look down on the action from the top. Poor light, fast shutter speed, high ISO 50mm 1.8 ought to be OK. If you've watched any UFC on the TV you'll see the photographers around the outside of the ring.

I've done a few cage fights and it really depends on the quality of the lighting rig, when I did UWC 13 it had excellent lighting then when I did BAMMA 4 although being a much bigger event had seriously terrible lighting. Normally you are allowed right next to the cage so just put your lens close to or against it and it shoots through it (not sure if that makes sense?).
Without wanting to sound like I'm pimping my own stuff I did these http://leewelton.co.uk/2011/01/10/uwc-13-mma-southend/ using just a 50mm f1.8 and a 1000D, I'd say just stick with the 50mm 1.8 and with your 7D you should be able to get many more keepers (better AF, better high ISO capabilities, faster FPS etc). You shouldn't worry though just tell your mates you'll do it but can't promise what they'll turn out like and enjoy it. MMA fights are good fun once the nerves go and the more relaxed you are the better shots you'll get.

KIPAX - i know your good on advice, i used what you told me when it came to ice hockey and some people have asked if they can have printed photos of my work, which for a first time for me was brilliant, i have you to thank for that or else i think they might not have been so great to say the least.

Lee-on-sea, Your pics are also very good. Im new to dslrs and the 7d is my first ever one.
I learn a lot and fast from this site to any info is good info for me.

Ive been to where i will be shooting and seen a fight without my camera. The lighting looks ok but not over welming i would say. I have also been told i can have the box next to the cage which is inbetween where the fighters enter.

Im just trying to get some experience in ready for the big night so i can make the best of my shots. I have already told the others that i can not promise they will be any good but if they are then brilliant.

KIPAX - i know your good on advice, i used what you told me when it came to ice hockey and some people have asked if they can have printed photos of my work, which for a first time for me was brilliant, i have you to thank for that or else i think they might not have been so great to say the least..

You would ahve got the advice or figured it out one way or another... But feedback much appreciated (and rare) thanks :)

Back