Advice needed on new body for football

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I've been shooting football for about 18 months or so, started out shooting lots of park football to see if I enjoyed it. I loved it, and got some tremendous advice from a couple of sports photographers along the way by email (thanks Kipax!).

I was fortunate to get the opportunity to shoot three games last season for my local Football League club in a club photographer capacity. They were pleased with the results and I am now doing all the homes, and some aways, this season in League Two.

I'm fortunate enough to have recently upgraded to a Canon 70-200mm 2.8 which I love, the difference from my old lens is astounding (an ageing Tamron 120-300 f5.6). All my shooting so far has been done on my 400D which I have pushed to the limits. I know that with my 2.8 lens, I could continue to get results with it, but I am well aware of its limitations now. I was also shooting some more amateur stuff recently and the shutter is starting to stick a bit (if that's the right term) and occasionally the camera turns itself off, so I need to change it.

Thanks to my (boring) day job, I am in a position to upgrade my body, but I am going around in circles over which one to choose. I've spent so many hours reading about it, I am probably now over-thinking it.

The main contenders were 7D or 5d mkiii. But if I can pick one up second hand, I'm now considering the 1d mkIV.

What would people recommend?

In many ways, the 7D I think would work fine, but I am worried about the winter games in driving rain, poor light, etc. While for the time being photos are used in programmes and on the website, the club are considering selling images online to fans eventually through something like Media Storehouse, so I am concious about the quality of the image (noise, colour depth, etc). Would the 7D be able to handle high shutter speeds in poor League Two lighting, and still produce quality images?

I love the sound of the 5d mkiii and was all-but decided to get it. However, I cannot afford another lens and I'm now concerned I'd lose too much focal length with the full frame. Anyone any experience of the 5d mkiii with the 70-200 2.8 on it? I'm normally positioned behind the goal, towards corner flag. Is this a big issue?

The reduced FPS on the 5d mkiii doesn't concern me that much, working on the fact I will be stepping up from my 400D which I have managed with until now! Should I be more concerned by it?

Lastly, 1d MKIV - is this a better option? I would need to be looking used around £1800-£2000 max.

But then, would the 1d mk3 be worthwhile?

Thanks in advance, and a huge thanks to all of the experienced folk on here who regularly post. While I've never posted on here, I read frequently, and all the posts about techniques, positioning, equipment, etc are invaluable.

This is so astoundingly simple to answer.. (because this is for sports) a used 1dmkIV beats all the other options...and you can pick them up far cheaper than your prices.. Sold mine for 1200 quid working perfect.... really is no contest...

Great, thanks Kipax. That's exactly what I needed, a straight answer so I can stop faffing about :)

IF I had that sort of money for one body completely agree with kipax.
Only thing you might think of is 2 mk3's, although I think you've said you only use the 70-200?

the difference betrween a mkiii an mkiv is massive in iso capabilities

If i didn't need 2 bodies then i'd definitely have the IV or sell a kidney and get the 1DX!!

Thanks chaps.

Yes, just the one 70-200mm lens at the moment so just one body. I think the ISO capabilities will be key. When you say mk3's Lardy, are you talking 1D mk3s or the 5D?

Since your reply earlier Kipax, I've had a look around for used 1D IV and there is nothing near the £1,200, most near to or in excess of £2k.

I shall keep searching :)

Sorry i meant 2 1Dmk3.
But as kipax says there is a big difference in iso in particular and that makes a big difference in lower levels as floodlights are usually not great.
I'm saving for a 1Dmk4 as we speak.

there not lal over the place.. mine was cheap as it was well used (but working poerfect) buyer bought it knowing the full history and click count .. he wasnt worried about either and is happily using a great camera... look for well used at that price... but you may need to start 1400-1500 upwards.. not many like mine about i guess... in fact i wish i had kept it now :)

Thank you both for the responses.

The one on LCE looks good, I will probably enquire about shutter count. I notice there are a couple on ebay in Germany with low shutter counts too (albeit slightly more expensive).

Thanks again

You could ways sell up and go Nikon D3's go for pretty cheap now as do D700's with the grip it will do 8fps

I sold a mk1v on here for less than £1600. Keep an eye out.
There's always one cropping up.
I'd choose a mk1v over a 5d3 any day for football.

1DIV is the way to go. Don't bother with a 1DIII - it will do the job fine but if you can afford a 1DIV then go that route. If you want a 2nd body cheap as well, then a 1DIII will fill that gap nicely for not much money.

I'm tempted to say Canons make good footballs...
...but I won't :)

You could ways sell up and go Nikon D3's go for pretty cheap now as do D700's with the grip it will do 8fps

Right. I think the d3s is a similar price to the mk1V and has a much better ISO range.
Add to that the price in lenses, much cheaper!

You already have the answer from Kipax and Tobers.

For now you can just shoot with the 1D4 and the 70-200 as you will be shooting your team attacking.

Canon are rumoured to be announcing the 7D2 on Monday. If the rumours are true it will have 10fps and be 1800 euros. Now you can take it all with a pinch of salt until it actually happens.

If it has good ISO and good weather sealing you could look to get one of those as a second body next year when the prices have dropped a bit.

But for now I'd be patient and keep an eye out for a 1D4.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks all. I shall be patient and look out for the 1D4. The one on LCE has about 200,000 shutter count, although they will do a 12 month warranty on it a it's just had a Canon service.

I think I will bide my time (and wait to have enough posts to see the Buy/Sell section here on TP)

Thanks for all the advice in this thread, much appreciated!

Thanks all. I shall be patient and look out for the 1D4. The one on LCE has about 200,000 shutter count,

Mine had a lot more than 200,000 and no warranty hence the difference in price... I really wouldnt worry about 200,000 probably go a couple of yrs no bother... but could go next week.. this is the same for any camera wiht any shutter count ...

Following on from what bigrob said about the new 7d ii, I suspect you'll find some more 1d iv's dumped on the 2nd hand market after photokina starts on the 16th.

Following on from what bigrob said about the new 7d ii, I suspect you'll find some more 1d iv's dumped on the 2nd hand market after photokina starts on the 16th.

I can't see 1dmkIV owners trading in for a 7dII .. why would you think that?

How about if you got a 1DIV as you wanted better ISO than a 7D and more fps BUT you didn't like the weight AND you won't be using it in Grimsby on a wet Tuesday night in February.

And what if the high ISO capability of the 7D2 is better than the 1DIV.

Lots of if and buts.

I am doubtful that the ISO will be better than a 1DIV but hopeful.

How about if you got a 1DIV as you wanted better ISO than a 7D and more fps BUT you didn't like the weight AND you won't be using it in Grimsby on a wet Tuesday night in February.

And what if the high ISO capability of the 7D2 is better than the 1DIV.

Lots of if and buts.

I am doubtful that the ISO will be better than a 1DIV but hopeful.

Back in the real world........... theres only one camera better than a 1dmkIV for sports .. doesnt matter how you dress it up or how many if, buts or maybes...

Back in the real world........... theres only one camera better than a 1dmkIV for sports .. doesnt matter how you dress it up or how many if, buts or maybes...

Oh I don't know. I turn to my 5DIII just as much as I do my 1DIV.

Oh I don't know. I turn to my 5DIII just as much as I do my 1DIV.

Are you suggesting that a good upgrade form a 1dmkIV would be to a 5d3 for sports ? seriously? because thats what we are talking about..

Other problem with a non 1D body is that there is no Protect/Lock button on the back and no way to map one to an existing button - which I have suggested to Canon.

So for me PITA.

No inbuilt Network port either - also a 1D feature now.

Other problem with a non 1D body is that there is no Protect/Lock button on the back and no way to map one to an existing button - which I have suggested to Canon.

So for me PITA.

My 5DIII must be unique then!

I may have missed something. Where is the lock/protect button?

I see a rating buton. Unless that can be mapped to protect.

Back