Advice Needed on which Digital?

Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone, any advice on this appreciated...
I rather imminently need to find a good, reliable, (and not too overly complicated) digital camera that's suitable enough for modelling and live music shots.

I'm not a professional photographer and not loaded so we're not talking thousands here :eek:, but I desperately need to buy a much better camera that can cope with on stage lighting and not alter colour.

It doesn't need to be 'very' basic but a little idiotproof would help. Suggestions as far under the £600 mark as possible would be much appreciated, and a little blurb as to the pros (and any cons) welcomed.

Many thanks :love:

Welcome to the forum Interrupted. I'd recommend going to your local camera store & trying out each camera in that price range, you'll need to choose between Canon, Nikon, Olympus, etc & that is not something you can really do without actually holding each camera (I did but it was a very lucky guess tbh :LOL:)

Have a scout around for internet prices & see if you can get a decent pricematching offer (y)

Agree with moonmike, find one you like the feel of at a shop then get the best price on the internet. As a rough guide, you probably want an entry level DSLR e.g. Nikon D40 or Canon EOS400D with a good lens, an accessory flash and a tripod to get you started.

As important as the camera though is learning to use it properly and it's worth investing in either some good books (or borrow from library) or maybe lessons if you're very new.

You might also want to consider some post-processing software e.g. Photoshop Elements so that you can further enhance or simply correct your shots after they're taken.

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm pretty well au fait with software and furthering my knowledge, it's just you always get a better idea of what is actually 'good' and worth the money from reviews and people's experience. I always think when spending money on anything relatively expensive it pays to ask those who really know. Much as shop workers give information, you're always aware they are - at the end of the day - selling you something, if you know what I mean.

Thanks very much for the given and future advice, all taken on board :)

I've had the Nikon D50 suggested twice, what's the variation - I notice that there are a fair few to the Nikon range that seem - to me - to be very similar?

You could try the Olympus E-510 for that budget. Olympus are even offering £100 cashback on this now too, and it comes with 2 excellent quality kit lenses: 14-54mm and 70-150mm zooms, as well as Live View and IS in camera... all for well under £600.

Try several makes of camera out as have been mentioned, you have a nice budget to start with - just stay away from the plasticy Nikon D40.

Good luck... :)

Canon or Nikon or even Olympus all are good cameras. Before you make the final choice, try to get your hands on one. You'll find it's the little things that make the difference. How the camera feels in you hand. How easy the controls are to use.

It's important that you get a camera you can get on with. It's not the cost now, but years down the line when you have accessories and lenses. It costs a lot to change at that point.

I use canon, in fact several. my first was way back when film was king. Why not a Nikon, simply I found the shutter release and the control knob to be better for me. Problem was my wife preferred the Nikon. It's so personal.

Have fun and enjoy whatever camera you choose

John C

Thank you all.

I've been and tried a few, it seems to be narrowed to either the Olympus E-510 twin lens kits because it has live view and IS as mentioned for a very good price. I like this camera but I find it a bit light and uncomfortable in my hand otherwise I would get it.

The other (which is the one I have fallen for) is the Canon EOS 40D, the problem being buying the extra IS lens. I love the weight and feel, larger screen and the fact that it's 6.5 over 3.5 (olympus, i think) shots a second. HOWEVER we're talking a £300 price difference for a cemera that's much the same, just for the fact that's it's a bit more solid and takes a few more p/s.

I know the price difference is actually bigger than this, however my partner is in the States at the moment and I can get the Olympus for £440 and Canon + IS for £735.

It's really pushing my budget so i'm just dallying over it's really worth spending more on The Canon when the cameras seem to be pretty much the same and it all comes in a neat package with the Olympus... just because i've fallen in typical girly style for one and got my heart set on it! lol

Can someone wiser please give me the low down on whether it's really worth the extra cost, aside from for my manual comfort value? :)

Well, now you have a decision to make eh...:):)

I can't help any further with the Canon, but I am sure it's a great camera indeed. What can help with though, is for you to see images taken with the Olympus E-510... many of which would be with one of the lenses in the twin lens kit. Have a look through the galleries on www.reflectingme.com - and also the private galleries - if you want the password to any of the private areas please shout. Also, perhaps take a look at some of the images on my gallery on tP - unless they are edits of member images, they are all taken with the E-510.

PB084156-Edit-Edit.jpg

neat_image_test-after.jpg

PB064095-Edit.jpg

toby-1copy.jpg

Here's a few:

Try this simple test.

If you bought the Olympus ( which is a good camera) would you think " Should I have bought the Canon" and Vice versa.

Big decision which I'm afraid only you can make.

Whichever you choose ENJOY

John C

Back