Advice needed please!!!!

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Greetings chaps and chapetts!

I have two questions really, which are as follows:

1) How much is the Sigma 50-500 non DG version worth? (It's about three years old, no damage to lens barrel or optics, but slight wear on the tripod collar)

And secondly,

2) Is the Nikon 70-300 f4.5-5.6 VR any good?

Some background...

In light of me being totally broke, I'm looking to sell the sigma 50-500. Also, after having used it for three years im getting a little fed up with its weight, I find myself not using 300-500mm focal range, and just feel it's time to move on. But at the same time I dont want to be without a longer telephoto lens. I have the Nikon 18-70 which I love, awsome lens, so the 70-300 would
fit in nicely.

I have been thinking of selling the 50-500 for a while now and after a quick chat about the 70-300 the other day with oliver9523 on msn, it's got me thinking.

Any help would be very much appreciated!
Cheers!

I've got the 70 - 300 VR, and I like it a lot. It is easy to use, focuses quickly and to my eye produces good pictures. That said, I don't have much to compare it with, being a beginner.

My 70-300VR is certainly the best 70-300 I've tried & even the boffins (like over at Nikonians) seem to agree it takes good pics - here's a couple of my efforts (when I had a camera to use it on :bonk:) ... Paul ;)

eagle_owl_800.jpg

eagle_head_800.jpg

tit1_800.jpg

Love my 70-300 VR, great lens for the bucks. Used it at 300mm with a shutter speed of 1/60 and still got sharp pictures :D.

Heres two of mine for Sunderland airshow, both hand held.

Chinook1-small.jpg

Red_arrows_-_small.jpg

The best I can tell you is that I had a play with my friends 70-300 on the owl day, and my comparison was the Sigma 70-300 - and the nikon was brilliant. For a squib like me, anything that gives me that couple of extra stops, against hand held weight wobble on the front of the d200 has to be good. The shots I took were nice and sharp, and for operation its beautifully quiet and smooth, focusing quickly and with no fuss. I believe from various reports the 70-200 is far superior again, but also has the price tag to match, which sort of defeats your object.

70-300VR is a great lens for the money - I use one on a D80 & D200 (partner's camera) & it's an excellent piece of kit. Gets used almost as much as the 70-200 f2.8, but half the price.

I've got the 70 - 300 VR, and I like it a lot. It is easy to use, focuses quickly and to my eye produces good pictures. That said, I don't have much to compare it with, being a beginner.

:agree:

Seems like a great lens to me (when I don't leave the VR on the wrong mode like I did today :bang: ), but the only other lens I have is the kit one so I can't compare it with anything. Others speak very highly of it though :)

I used to have the 70-300mm D lens.... this could only have made it better! Some good shots.

Back